The Student Room Group

AQA COMP2 7th June 2011 AM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by @Jamie
Did anyone else notice the error in the question about buses/processors? The address bus didn't extend far enough. That really threw me.

Thank you! I thought i was being stupid and misinterpreting something etc it really did confuse me this i spent a while on it :/ just sent aqa an email asking for them to check it. I worded it nicely and apologised if there was nothing wrong with the question xD

Do you guys think examiners read forum topics on the exams they wrote to see how we all did? Itd be weird if they did lol
Reply 181
Original post by Dobby28
Wasnt that comp1?

I was that bad at computing, I really can't remember :s-smilie:
Reply 182
Original post by calvie
I was that bad at computing, I really can't remember :s-smilie:

lol.
Reply 183
Original post by Dobby28
It is in the book. Page 215. Last paragraph for the data protections act info. If only i paid more attention to that paragraph :angry:

UUUrrrghhhhhhhhhhh just checked the book that is so fricking annoying, i feel lyk punching sum1....urrghhhh, wish I read that too!!!!
Reply 184
Original post by Laskar15
UUUrrrghhhhhhhhhhh just checked the book that is so fricking annoying, i feel lyk punching sum1....urrghhhh, wish I read that too!!!!

You feel like punching someone over 1 mark?
Reply 185
Original post by LeBob
I got Not A, and checked through it. De Morgan's law was the method I chose...

That's the way I did it too.

Not(A.B) + Not(A.Not(B))
Not(A.B) = Not(A) + Not(B)
Not(A.Not(B)) = Not(A) + B

Not(A) + Not(A) + Not(B) + B
Not(A) + Not(B) + B
Not(A) + 1
Reply 186
Original post by @Jamie
That's the way I did it too.

Not(A.B) + Not(A.Not(B))
Not(A.B) = Not(A) + Not(B)
Not(A.Not(B)) = Not(A) + B

Not(A) + Not(A) + Not(B) + B
Not(A) + Not(B) + B
Not(A) + 1

I did most of this but ruined it near the end coz i put notB + B = 0 ;(
Reply 187
Original post by Dobby28
I did most of this but ruined it near the end coz i put notB + B = 0 ;(

Never mind, you could still get 3/4 I reckon :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by fluteflute
Never mind, you could still get 3/4 I reckon :smile:

I think id probably get 2 :frown:
Reply 189
What did people put for that question about what a 64 bit system that uses an address bus meant? (Sorry, can't really remember the exact question)

I put 'The computer can store 2^64 different address buses'.
Reply 190
What did people put for the question where you had to match each peripheral to the correct memory sizes?
Especially the one that had 512MB to 128GB?

I put Magnetic Hard Disk for the one that went up to 2 TB
I put USB Flash Drive for the one that went from 512MB to 128GB
I put Bluray Disc for the one that went from 4.7GB to 8 GB
I put CD-Rom for the one that went from 600MB to 700MB

Who agrees with me on this one?

What did people for the question about why a software is bought on CD rather than bought.
I put 'Software bought on CD is portable and can be used again and again. It can also save Hard Disc Space. Whereas software that is downloaded takes up more memory space and takes longer to obtain software'.
Reply 191
Original post by exam2k10
What did people put for that question about what a 64 bit system that uses an address bus meant? (Sorry, can't really remember the exact question)

hmm im wondering whether that wording would get you the mark.
because it means 2^64 memory locations can be addressed. thats what i put.
Reply 192
What did people put for the question where you had to match each peripheral to the correct memory sizes?

What did people for the question about why a software is bought on CD rather than bought.
I put 'Software bought on CD is portable and can be used again and again. It can also save Hard Disc Space. Whereas software that is downloaded takes up more memory space and takes longer to obtain software'.

blu ray disc cant be 4.7GB to 8GB coz its usually 25GB
im sure i had memory card for one of them but wasnt sure about the answer

I put if it was downloaded, the file would be stored digitially and so if the computer got a virus and the files were wiped, the software would be lost. But having it on a CD prevents this issue. and i also put downloading it can be very time consuming if the file size of the software is big so its easy to purchase the software already on a CD
Reply 193

I put something like "the address bus consists of 64 parallel wires, which means that 2^64 memory locations can be directly accessed by the processor"

Agree with you for all of them except for I put DVD instead of Bluray (and I am pretty sure I am correct).

The 512MB to 128GB was a weird one in my opinion, but partially by a process of elimination I also put down USB Flash Drive.

I wrote about the time to download (and the hit this could have on download limits, as imposed by ISPs) and about the ease of reinstalling if the user replaced their computer.
Reply 194

for my money, flash card was the only one that made sense for 512MB to 128GB. hard disk could clearly be bigger than that, dvd r is the 4.7 to 8.5 gig, (8.5 is dual layer). blu ray was the red herring.

re. the component diagram, i'd say the bus was control bus and the little component was the clock, tied to the CPU by the control bus. I emailed AQA about the error in the diagram too.
Reply 195
Original post by mister c
for my money, flash card was the only one that made sense for 512MB to 128GB. hard disk could clearly be bigger than that, dvd r is the 4.7 to 8.5 gig, (8.5 is dual layer). blu ray was the red herring.

re. the component diagram, i'd say the bus was control bus and the little component was the clock, tied to the CPU by the control bus. I emailed AQA about the error in the diagram too.

Sorry, but was there an error on that component diagram?

If so does that mean free marks
Reply 196
Sorry, but was there an error on that component diagram?

If so does that mean free marks

there was an error. the solid line bus was connected to the dashed line bus on the bottom left component. the solid line should have carried on through the dashed line to meet up with the rest of the solid lines.

what that means to marks, i don't know.
Reply 197
Original post by mister c
there was an error. the solid line bus was connected to the dashed line bus on the bottom left component. the solid line should have carried on through the dashed line to meet up with the rest of the solid lines.

what that means to marks, i don't know.

TBH, I also felt that the diagram was not clear.

I really do hope we will be compensated.

Just out of interest would a disc defragmenter be a utility software. What happens if I spelt the word 'disc defragmenter' wrong in the exam?

And for the very first question, did you tick...
General Purpose Software - Word Processor
Special Purpose Software - Payroll Software
Bespoke Purpose Software - Air Control (Can't exactly remember)

On the whole, I thought it was a good paper and doing all the past five papers really did pay off. Especially that question about the relationship between the first generation software and the second generation software for which I put 1 to 1 mapping.

For the TCP/IP question, I explained the process of the protocol stack and the process of each layer. Would I lose any marks because of this?
Reply 198
Original post by icedragon
Word processor: General purpose
Payroll software: Bespoke
Flight sim (? dunno if it was that): Special purpose

Types of software:

Operating systems
Compiler/Assembler
Backup software (any utility software)

URL parts:

HTTP - the protocol used, hypertext transfer protocol
www - World Wide Web (don't think you need any more detail than that)
end bit: File directory and the file to be opened.

Hardware components:

VDU Controller was in the row of 3 inside.
Processor was 5 I think, outside at the top
Main memory below it
Data bus

Truth table:

Think it NAND and NOR

Logic circuit:

Boolean algebra: ' represents NOT

(A.B)' + (A.B')'
= A' + B' + A' + B
= A' + 1
= 1

8 marker: not gonna write it all out, just google tcp/ip stack

HTML:

<html>
<head>
<title> Lectures 2011 (whatever was in the bar at the top)</title>
</head>

<body>
<h1 align="center">Lectures... blah blah</h1>
<br />
<ul> 'NOT <OL>
<li>Lecture 1</li>
<li>Lecture 2</li>
<li>Lecture 3</li>
</ul>

<p><i>Blah blah italic text</i><p>
<p>Blah blah <b>BOLD WORD</b> blah blah </p>

</body>
</html>

Data protection:
Information commissioners office
i) no. not relating to a person.
ii) yes, relating to living identifiable people.

Last q: Regulation of investigatory powers act

MIND HAS GONE BLANK ON THE REST OF THE Q'S! IF YOU CAN REMEMBER PLEASE TELL ME AND I'LL ADD ANSWERS. ALSO PLEASE TELL ME ANY ERRORS I'VE MADE.

Please don't quote the whole post by the way, just specifics if you can. Thanks :smile:

Hi,

I would more or less agree with most of your answers.

The only answers that vary with yours is the first one about 'Special Purpose Software', 'Bespoke Software' and 'General Purpose Software'.
I put...
Word processor: General Purpose
Payroll software: Special Purpose
Flight sim (? dunno if it was that): Bespoke Software

What did you put for the fetch execute cycle questions.
The one where we had to write down the names of the register that are used to...
(1)To store the instruction/address (Sorry, can't quite remember the wording of the question)
(2)To keep a copy of the data and instructions (Sorry, can't quite remember the wording of the question)
I put...
(1)Memory Address Register
(2)Memory Buffer Register
Would you agree with these?

What did you put for the question about the different generations of programming.
For the first question, I got 'Second Generation Programming Language'
For the second question, which was to give a suitable header for the row, I put 'Memory Address'
For the third question, which was to label X and Y (I think), I put...
'Opcode'
'Operand'
For the final question about the relationship between the two languages I put '1 to 1 mapping'.
Can you please tell me whether you agree with these.

Thanks for posting up your solutions to some of the questions :biggrin:
Reply 199
Hi,

I would more or less agree with most of your answers.

The only answers that vary with yours is the first one about 'Special Purpose Software', 'Bespoke Software' and 'General Purpose Software'.
I put...
Word processor: General Purpose
Payroll software: Special Purpose
Flight sim (? dunno if it was that): Bespoke Software

What did you put for the fetch execute cycle questions.
The one where we had to write down the names of the register that are used to...
(1)To store the instruction/address (Sorry, can't quite remember the wording of the question)
(2)To keep a copy of the data and instructions (Sorry, can't quite remember the wording of the question)
I put...
(1)Memory Address Register
(2)Memory Buffer Register
Would you agree with these?

What did you put for the question about the different generations of programming.
For the first question, I got 'Second Generation Programming Language'
For the second question, which was to give a suitable header for the row, I put 'Memory Address'
For the third question, which was to label X and Y (I think), I put...
'Opcode'
'Operand'
For the final question about the relationship between the two languages I put '1 to 1 mapping'.
Can you please tell me whether you agree with these.

Thanks for posting up your solutions to some of the questions :biggrin:

I'm fairly sure payroll is bespoke.

Memory Address Register is right.
Think the second one is Current Instruction Register.

Yep 2nd gen. Yeah I put 'address' hopefully that should be enough. Opcode and Operand are right. I'm not sure what 1 to 1 mapping is? I just put they were the same!

No problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending