The Student Room Group

Is this true?

While happily reading my newspaper (The Independent) this morning, I came across this:

Test are to be introduced next summer by the leading 20 medical schools to weed out the brightest students. The tests will be taken at the same time as sixth-formers take their AS Levels - so they will get their results before they apply to university.

...they could have given us a little more warning, supposing it's true. I mean, that is in 6 months or so we would have to take the extra test! And would it be the BMAT? And 20 schools suddenly taking it up? Seems a little weird to me. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes in essence it's true (not sure about the times scale thing though - the plan might be for everyone to take it AS year in the future, but I've been lead to believe that the new exam will be taken in December of A2 year certainly for the first few years). It's been touted for about 3 years. Most were hoping to bring it in for 2006 entry, but didn't get their acts together in time.

It has been mentioned a lot (including on many medical school websites!) - so how much warning do you want?

It's supposed to be a new test, not the BMAT (but I'm guessing BMAT schools will still use BMAT), although some schools (Barts and the London and Kings) are apparently running the MSAT exam (details on the ACER website).
Reply 2
Fluffy
It has been mentioned a lot (including on many medical school websites!) - so how much warning do you want?

Oh wow, my bad. I guess I haven't read them throughly for a few months. I've only heard of the BMAT/MVAT for undergraduate entry, and thought that only a few extra schools were doing the BMAT next year...

Thanks for your help, though!

EDIT: You're right, I've found loads of bits on the Barts website and others...sorry to bother you guys!
fingers crossed I won't have to be sitting that next year!!
Reply 4
At the end of the day, if it happens and it's another hoop we have to jump through - there's not much we can do about it.
I meant that in terms of hopefully not getting rejected and having to reapply next year!
Reply 6
Here's a fuller list of who should be using the new UKCAT (bearing in mind some schools are denying it and others are saying they are using a test but not UKCAT)...

UKCAT is supposed to be being used by (according to Professor IR Johnson):

London:
SGUL : medicine
QMUL : medicine and dentistry (although other rumours of MSAT)
KCL : medicine and dentistry (Confirmed on their website)

Scotland:
Dundee : medicine and dentistry
Glasgow : medicine and dentistry
Edinburgh : medicine
St Andrews : medicine
Aberdeen : medicine

Medicine:
PMS
HYMS
UEA
Keele
Manchester
Newcastle
Durham
BSMS (although I have an aquaintance who is a senior lectures here and says it's crap!)
Nottingham
Sheffield
Leicester
Soton
Leeds
Cardiff
Oxford (Graduates)
Birmingham (Graduates)

Dentalism:
Sheffield
Manchester
Cardiff
Newcastle

So I guess watch the web!!!
Bloody hell! and *all* the Scottish schools as well! :eek: This is all getting rather Americanized ... why don't they just make the exams we sit at school more indicative of our academic potential?
Reply 9
friendlyneutron
Bloody hell! and *all* the Scottish schools as well! :eek: This is all getting rather Americanized ... why don't they just make the exams we sit at school more indicative of our academic potential?

I know, i hope i dont get rejects for the 2nd time round......
Reply 10
This will work in my favour if I get 4 rejections this time round. Pretty glad that it's been introduced.
Reply 11
Does anyone know what the UKCAT will be like? (Fluffy, do you know?) Any rumours or anything...? BMAT/MSAT or even GAMSAT or MCAT style?!
Pissing back off to where it came from style would be nice.
Reply 13
some schools you will have to take both? :eek: i really hope i get in this year!
at least it doesnt have a science paper though, that was the worst for me on bmat! :redface:
Reply 14
I reckon it'll be a similar test to the BMAT , and it'll replace the BMAT. Lots of schools need more help to get the brighest students so i suppose this is it. but it'll prob only apply to current yr 11's?
if its anything like the BMAT i guess i will never get into medicine :frown:. That is of course if i dont get in this year...which so far seems likely :'(
treacleh
I reckon it'll be a similar test to the BMAT , and it'll replace the BMAT. Lots of schools need more help to get the brighest students so i suppose this is it. but it'll prob only apply to current yr 11's?

Yeah, except there's no science section. (Dammmn. I liked the idea of the science section.) It's supposed to test your mental ability, problem solving, logical reasoning, critical thinking and information management via some computer-based test. I suppose it'll have similar bits to the first and last section of the BMAT.

It applies to Year 12's, actually. Seriously wish it didn't, as taking both won't be much fun...
Reply 17
If I don't meet my offer this year, then I'll probably have to do that then :frown:

That'd suck because the science section was my best one on the BMAT, I suck at essay writing :redface:
Reply 18
parag
If I don't meet my offer this year, then I'll probably have to do that then :frown:

That'd suck because the science section was my best one on the BMAT, I suck at essay writing :redface:

SAme here, i such at writing essays as i really do need to practise the technique. Writing a long answer for a science question is one thing but a filthy essay, well........
Reply 19
treacleh

From what ive read its for all students applying for entry to courses starting September 2007 :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending