The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate St Andrews Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by olddad
So.Ecosse, what is the deal with PG accom. Is it as I suspect that there is a change because they are pulling down the FP Houses and are now putting only Undergrads in DRA.All seems a biut mind boggling

I have no idea, although it seems they've still got PG contracts/residence fees for 2014-15?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by olddad
So.Ecosse, what is the deal with PG accom. Is it as I suspect that there is a change because they are pulling down the FP Houses and are now putting only Undergrads in DRA.All seems a biut mind boggling

To get a proper answer, it might be an idea for your son to email accommodation services / the DRA warden? They'll probably know more than we do on here (:
Original post by Loretta_8
Could anyone please tell me how's st salvator's hall? Is it quite creepy if i go back late?
Also how's agnes blackadder hall? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I lived in ABH and currently live in Sallies, and Sallies isn't creepy at all. It's a little bit… intimidating if you're walking in late at night, just because it's usually very quiet and not super well lit, but it's a short walk (30 seconds) between the street and the front door. But you always need to make sure you have your matric card; unless you want to stand outside and wait for someone to let you in.

ABH wasn't my thing. I didn't like cooking for myself all the time, and my kitchen mates were not clean and were very noisy. It's a great location if you're in sciences, and Tesco is only about a 10-15 minute walk. But they're two totally different halls; I like Sallies better, but it really comes down to whether you want catered or not, and ensuite or shared bathroom (shared bathroom isn't usually an issue, but the people in my section like to drink a lot then throw up all over the bathroom most nights. But there's usually another bathroom within 2-4 fire doors if that happens). The other thing is that in Sallies, your bins get emptied every weekday and your room is vacuumed once a week. In ABH bins are emptied once a week and vacuumed once a month.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1183
Original post by TattyBoJangles
To get a proper answer, it might be an idea for your son to email accommodation services / the DRA warden? They'll probably know more than we do on here (:

Think he will do that today but thanks.Also his office mates are thinking of renting something. so he may tag along.Shame, cos he really likes DRA.
Got an uncondtional from St.Andrews and im thinking about firming it so this thread now has a lot more meaning to me xD I think id like en suite self catered accomodation.
Reply 1185
Original post by Suzi.Letham
Got an uncondtional from St.Andrews and im thinking about firming it so this thread now has a lot more meaning to me xD I think id like en suite self catered accomodation.

Don't you find it strange that it costs more for a separate bathroom than it does to be fed for a year? :s-smilie:
Original post by JTR__
Don't you find it strange that it costs more for a separate bathroom than it does to be fed for a year? :s-smilie:

Not to mention all the self catered is farther away! Doesn't really make sense; higher maintenance costs don't seem like they'd make it that expensive.
Original post by JTR__

Original post by ElizabethRG
Not to mention all the self catered is farther away! Doesn't really make sense; higher maintenance costs don't seem like they'd make it that expensive.

I know its all really confusing :frown: I really need to talk money with my parents xD
Reply 1188
Original post by Suzi.Letham
I know its all really confusing :frown: I really need to talk money with my parents xD

I know what you mean! My current thought is, 'if I go to Albany, which costs £3000, and get a £4500 loan...' :P I will get a new job job though (hopefully), so it shouldn't be too much hassle money-wise I hope!
Original post by JTR__
I know what you mean! My current thought is, 'if I go to Albany, which costs £3000, and get a £4500 loan...' :P I will get a new job job though (hopefully), so it shouldn't be too much hassle money-wise I hope!

Aaaaaaah I like your thinking.... :biggrin:
Reply 1190
So did the accommodation offers go out today?
Original post by olddad
So did the accommodation offers go out today?

Given that I just got one, I'm going to say yes. Mine was for Sallies though; not sure if they all do them on the same day for returners?
Reply 1192
Given that I just got one, I'm going to say yes. Mine was for Sallies though; not sure if they all do them on the same day for returners?

You JUST got it. so they have just come out?
Original post by olddad
You JUST got it. so they have just come out?

My email arrived around 4:15. So yes, assuming they all go out at once.
Reply 1194
My email arrived around 4:15. So yes, assuming they all go out at once.

OK, thanks.
I have a question I'd be grateful if someone could answer it. I'm in between catered and self catered and it seems the meal card system DRA offer is a good compromise. Is it as flexible as it sounds in that you can pay as you go on meals or make your own? Also how would you describe the kitchens in the older buildings like St Regs and Uni Halls?

Cheers
Yash :smile:
Original post by yash.singh
I have a question I'd be grateful if someone could answer it. I'm in between catered and self catered and it seems the meal card system DRA offer is a good compromise. Is it as flexible as it sounds in that you can pay as you go on meals or make your own? Also how would you describe the kitchens in the older buildings like St Regs and Uni Halls?

Cheers

For DRA, you only get breakfast and dinner on weekdays, then breakfast and lunch on weekends. You're not held to that though; you can cook any time you want. Not sure about they pay as you go… I have a friend in Catered at DRA and she never mentioned that when I was asking about her food arrangements.

I've heard Uni hall has nice kitchens; they certainly look nice, modern and updated in photos. They're a decent size too, and some appear to have kitchen tables. Not sure about Regs, but Sallies has tiny, out of date kitchens with minuscule fridges that are very hard to cook in. No freezer, either, so you pretty much have to buy food a few hours before you use it. I usually end up eating out, not because I can't cook, but because there's just no room to cook. Not sure about the other catered halls, but ABH has horrible kitchens. Two stoves is nice, but they're ugly and dirty-looking, even when they're 'clean'. But if you want to be able to cook proper food and don't mind being a bit farther from town, the self catered halls aren't a bad option :smile:
Original post by yash.singh

Cheers

Regs annexe has a good kitchen :smile: it's being updated this summer too so everything will be shiny and new
Best accommodation for people with food allergies? Specifically dairy and gluten-free? Thanks so much in advanced!
Reply 1199
Original post by olddad
OK, thanks.

Strangely, son applied for FPA cios it was all that was on offer. But he has been offered DRA which is what he wanted all the time. Not sure what happenned there1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending