The Student Room Group

Politics A2 - 16th June 2011 - Consititution, Congress, Judiciary, President

The exam is on thursday, so still have few days to revise from now.
How's your revision for the exam, prepared or not?
Did you drop any of the topic and just forcus on the others, if so which ones.

As there's always 3 essays questions to choose from (45 marks)... which 3 topic do you think will come up... i guess one will definately come up - the president, any feelings of the other 2??? :colondollar:

I'm doing Edexcel exam board ^_^
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck! I am doing the political ideologies one :frown:............
Good luck mate. I am doing this exam. I stopped learning about congress to focus on the other 3. I've heard rumours that the grade boundaries for this exam is low. Hope its true because I need a good grade on it :frown:
Mines going okay, I'm doing the Constitution and Judiciary. But what I would like to know is if they were going to ask a 30 Marker on Federalsim what would it centre on?
Reply 4
Original post by Prepare-Yourself
Mines going okay, I'm doing the Constitution and Judiciary. But what I would like to know is if they were going to ask a 30 Marker on Federalsim what would it centre on?

If they are going to ask a essay question on federalism, well... the only question they've put it on essay is "‘Federal government increasingly dominates state governments in the USA.’ Discuss.", so i believe is about how federalism developed. My guess anyway :biggrin:

Btw.... i'm doing edexcel so not sure for other exam board :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by stefanunited
Good luck mate. I am doing this exam. I stopped learning about congress to focus on the other 3. I've heard rumours that the grade boundaries for this exam is low. Hope its true because I need a good grade on it :frown:

You too :smile:. But i dropped presidency instead of the other 3, coz president is just farrr too much to learn, even though i know there's a high chance of president being a essay question, so i hope the other 2 essay is easier ones :rolleyes:
Any predictions of the 45 marks essay from which topic?
Ah what have I typed. Sorry, I meant to say I dropped supreme court and I'm learning the other 3 so I am learning congress lol.

For the essay question I predict 100% constitution and congress to come up.

Reason being:

Jun 2010
Essay Questions were:
Supreme Court, Presidency, Constitution

Jan 2011
Essay Questions were:
Supreme Court, Presidency, Congress

Supreme Court and Presidency has come up twice. I could be wrong so don't listen to me but I'm just sharing my prediction. What do you think?
I'm doing this exam, I dropped presidency! Anyone nervous about tomorrow?
Reply 8
hey :smile: I am on AQA exam board and have my Gov+Pol tomorrow (The Politics of the USA) and Thursday (The Government of the USA) :frown: .. for our exams we have 4 topics that always come up in each exam so tomorrow for example; The Electoral Process and Direct Democracy, Political Parties, Voting Behaviour and Pressure Groups. Instead of revising 4 or even 3, I am going to solidly put all my revision into 2 :smile: but im glad we know what topics will come up! I do Law too and its a nightmare having to revise countless units :frown:
Reply 9
Ah what have I typed. Sorry, I meant to say I dropped supreme court and I'm learning the other 3 so I am learning congress lol.

Reason being:

Jun 2010
Essay Questions were:

Jan 2011
Essay Questions were:

Supreme Court and Presidency has come up twice. I could be wrong so don't listen to me but I'm just sharing my prediction. What do you think?

If supreme court and congress both come up, i would laugh XD... but the chance is very low
Even though presidet has come up twice, I really think president is going to come up, especially of the current moves such as libya, gridlock since 2010 midterm, and bin laden etc.

but im not going to do the presidency question anyway :tongue:, so i'm forcusing totally on consituion, sc and congress.
What possible congress essay quesiton is there if it comes up, do u think?
Reply 10
I think that Constitution will definitely come up as a 45 marker, Congress probably, and Supreme Court maybe, based on previous papers. Also, is it just me or does not that many people on this forum seem to be doing Govt & Pol 4C? I've seen active threads for the other routes, but not so much for this one xP
Reply 11
Original post by Shkilla
I think that Constitution will definitely come up as a 45 marker, Congress probably, and Supreme Court maybe, based on previous papers. Also, is it just me or does not that many people on this forum seem to be doing Govt & Pol 4C? I've seen active threads for the other routes, but not so much for this one xP

ahahaha, maybe we will see more on the 15th
Original post by unknownrebalz
How did everyone find unit 3?

Been looking for a thread on this - Yeah I thought it was pretty good actually - I had revised some of those exact questions which really helped - which did you do and how did you find it?
Original post by ireadbooks
Been looking for a thread on this - Yeah I thought it was pretty good actually - I had revised some of those exact questions which really helped - which did you do and how did you find it?

I found it really good. I revised all the points that came up that morning and the night before. I didn't get to finish the last question though. I was just about to write the last line of the question and conclude when the invigilator (who had been standing over me and making me nervous and uncomfortable for the them last few minutes of the exam) told me to stop a few minutes before everyone else.
Which Questions did you do?

:smile:
Does anybody have the mark scheme for the January 2011 paper and the June 2010 paper? Thanks
Original post by unknownrebalz
I found it really good. I revised all the points that came up that morning and the night before. I didn't get to finish the last question though. I was just about to write the last line of the question and conclude when the invigilator (who had been standing over me and making me nervous and uncomfortable for the them last few minutes of the exam) told me to stop a few minutes before everyone else.
Which Questions did you do?

15 markers

Why and how pressure groups influence the supreme court
Arguments against affirmative action
What is civil rights and to what extent have they been a success

45 maker
Pressure groups are democratic and open opportunities

Sorry if they aren't the exact wordings, I tend to get a mind blank after the exam, but yes, I feel this went pretty well :smile:

Which did you pick?
Original post by GunnerMax02
Does anybody have the mark scheme for the January 2011 paper and the June 2010 paper? Thanks

Yeah I could do with that too!
Original post by ireadbooks
15 markers

Why and how pressure groups influence the supreme court
Arguments against affirmative action
What is civil rights and to what extent have they been a success

45 maker
Pressure groups are democratic and open opportunities

Sorry if they aren't the exact wordings, I tend to get a mind blank after the exam, but yes, I feel this went pretty well :smile:

Which did you pick?

15 mark

Why and how do Pressure Groups Seek to Influence the Supreme Court
Arguments Advanced against Affirmative Action
What groups support the Republican Party

45 mark

The theory of 'party decline' is one which is out of date. Discuss

I was happy with the questions I just hope I answered them as well as I aimed to.

Good luck with unit 4!

Reply 18

Reason being:

Jun 2010
Essay Questions were:

Jan 2011
Essay Questions were:

Have you got the June 2010 paper? Please, please, please say yes! At least the mark scheme (after all, it is enough).

Original post by GunnerMax02

I've uploaded Jan 2011 here. I don't have June 2010 though. :frown:

Edit: For Unit 3 I chose:
'To what extent do incumbents have an advantage over challengers, in Congressional elections?' [15]
'Explain the factors that have been advanced against affirmative actions.' [15]
'Which are the key groups of voters of the Republican Party, and why?' [15]

'Pressure groups in the USA promote democracy and widen opportunity.' Discuss. [45]

I had 4 seconds to spare. Literally. They opened the school (British School of Barcelona) just for me, yesterday was a bank holiday here in Spain. The invigilator put me in a room, all alone (he spent the whole 1h30 looking at me, not just being in the same room :s-smilie:), and told me 'it's 2.00pm and 15s, you've got until 3.30pm and 15s' (according to this big clock in front of me). I ended at 3.30 and 11s.

Anyone with me, they should give at least 15 minutes more for Politics exams?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
I have English Lit Thursday morning, and that's what I'm planning to study at uni, so my revision has been focused heavily on that in the past few days. Tonight and tomorrow I'm going to do hardcore politics revision. This thread came up pretty late, especially compared to the English Lit thread!!

Anyways, I think the president will be a 45 marker. Hopefully there will be a 15 on the Senate or HoR. Maybe also on the composition of the Supreme Court, that would be dandy. I don't know what I would prefer to have as 45 markers.

I did the pgs, parties, race and ethnics ... exam in january - got my B!! So far over the course I've got 3 'B's!!

How is everyone else feeling??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending