The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beebumble
Gave in my Sociology and Psychology assignments three weeks ago. Still haven't got them back.:frown:

I am sure u will in due course Beebumble, have some faith,maybe they have gone into be cross marked or second marked that sometimes happens on access course
Reply 781
Gave in my Sociology and Psychology assignments three weeks ago. Still haven't got them back.:frown:

Ditto, only mine's History and Psychology. I need to know if i'm on track or not! Otherwise there's not much point even attempting Cambridge and KCL/UCL if I fall at the first hurdle! Damn tutors.. :frown: if only they were all like my English teacher, who marked them in class! lol

Original post by jami74
Two replied to me saying I'd need additional A'levels and one states on their website that access students aren't exempt from the GCSE requirements. I might throw one in anyway but not hopeful.

Try the third one at least! lol It is annoying, I remember the good old days when you could just rock on up with no academics whatsoever and get in purely because you were old! lol
Original post by wizardtop

I am sure u will in due course Beebumble, have some faith,maybe they have gone into be cross marked or second marked that sometimes happens on access course

Nope my Sociology teacher is always ill the day she's supposed to give them back and my Psychology teacher admitted she just hadn't bothered yet!:eek:
Reply 783
Original post by maturestudy
Oh I spoke to someone the other day who wants to do OT. To be honest I wouldn't let it worry you. Allied health professions are very competitive and spaces on the courses are scarce.

I am the only hopeful radiographer on my course :smile:

Yeah, so it's a good thing there are few interested.... :colondollar:
Reply 784
Still havent been given ANY of my results yet. not one. its driving me insane!
Original post by RinniieX
Still havent been given ANY of my results yet. not one. its driving me insane!

I don't know how you are coping! I keep pestering my tutors but they won't divulge individual results until the whole lot have been marked, which is fair enough I suppose. Anyway, I'm lucky enough to have had my first five assignments marked - all distinctions!

Good luck with your results!
Reply 786
Finally got my second essay back, which was a Distinction! That's 6 credits at distinction now! I did get marked down for a technical issue, which I knew about as soon as I'd handed it in, but considering I wrote it in a couple of hours into the morning I'm happy! I'm trying to write my two new essays by the end of the week so i have a full two weeks to revise for my interview, but we'll see!
Reply 787
Original post by Elle408
Finally got my second essay back, which was a Distinction! That's 6 credits at distinction now! I did get marked down for a technical issue, which I knew about as soon as I'd handed it in, but considering I wrote it in a couple of hours into the morning I'm happy! I'm trying to write my two new essays by the end of the week so i have a full two weeks to revise for my interview, but we'll see!

Congrats!!!! :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 788
Guys, this must be a silly question! Anyway here it goes. I'll start my Access course in January 2012 and it last a year so when will I apply to UNi and when will I start Uni?
Original post by jmfc
Guys, this must be a silly question! Anyway here it goes. I'll start my Access course in January 2012 and it last a year so when will I apply to UNi and when will I start Uni?

Most uni courses start in September so I presume you will want to start soon after your Access course, which will be September 2013. You will need to apply through UCAS which you can do from September 2012.
Reply 790
Most uni courses start in September so I presume you will want to start soon after your Access course, which will be September 2013. You will need to apply through UCAS which you can do from September 2012.

I guess that makes sense. Thanks. :smile:

I wish I could start in Jan 2013 though... In UWE for instance there is a January intake for adult nursing but not for OT or Physiotherapy (which would be my choices).
Gah! study skills! It's so boring. I know it's easy credits but I just can't get into it. I've been procrastinating from study skills by doing my other work.:biggrin:
Reply 792
Gah! study skills! It's so boring. I know it's easy credits but I just can't get into it. I've been procrastinating from study skills by doing my other work.:biggrin:

I'm the same. Managed to get my first study skills assignment in this week but it was a real drag. I think the problem is that it doesn't seem to relate to my course at all.

Forgot to say I had a test today which I aced! :biggrin: I'm pretty sure I got everything right but I can afford to drop a couple of marks and still get a distinction.

I'm waiting on results for four level 3 units now. I've got at least another three assignments to get in before Christmas.
(edited 12 years ago)

we dont call ours study Skills,its called Core skills same thing really we have to do a module on research which shouldnt be hard to gain a decent grade on Beebumble.The other module is ongoing as some of it has to do with applying to universites etc
Reply 794
Original post by wizardtop

we dont call ours study Skills,its called Core skills same thing really we have to do a module on research which shouldnt be hard to gain a decent grade on Beebumble.The other module is ongoing as some of it has to do with applying to universites etc

Sounds like we're doing the same ones!
Reply 795
We seem to have given up on study skills! The past few tutorials have been spent doing UCAS (which has been redundant for me!) and then we spent a good few hours going over this PEARL thing to find out the week after that it had been withdrawn :s-smilie: And the psychology assignment we're currently doing will account for our research skills credits in Core too. Ours are only worth level 2 credits though and are all a bit pointless!

We're doing our Shakespeare essay for English which i'm really enjoying, I've found a whole new side to Romeo and Juliet that i'm currently exploring and think it will turn out really well, I'm even managing to relate it to Dr.Faustus! There's a bit of Psychology (free will and innate drives) and History (feudalism) in there too so it feels very rounded! Luckily our History essay isn't due in until the New Year so I'm going to use the time I would have spent on that focusing on Cambridge prep and then will spend the Christmas holiday writing up my History paper. It's nice to be busy I guess!
Original post by jmfc
Hello.

Are you studying an Access to HE course and receiving JSA at the same time? I am asking this because I really want to know if that is possible. :smile:

Yes I am
Reply 797
Original post by FortyTwo25
Yes I am

Lots of people said that would be impossible, so that's why I asked.
Original post by jmfc
Lots of people said that would be impossible, so that's why I asked.

It seems to depend on the area and what you tell the JCP. If you say you are in full-time education they will most probably tell you that you can't claim. The main sticking point seems to be that you must be "available for work". If you can convince them that you are available for work, and it has to be full-time work, then you can claim JSA.

In short, it depends on the hours you are studying, what you say to the JCP staff and how lenient your local JCP is. I know several people that are claiming and one person who's claim was stopped when she said the wrong thing whilst signing-on. :frown:
Reply 799
It seems to depend on the area and what you tell the JCP. If you say you are in full-time education they will most probably tell you that you can't claim. The main sticking point seems to be that you must be "available for work". If you can convince them that you are available for work, and it has to be full-time work, then you can claim JSA.

In short, it depends on the hours you are studying, what you say to the JCP staff and how lenient your local JCP is. I know several people that are claiming and one person who's claim was stopped when she said the wrong thing whilst signing-on. :frown:

That doesn't sound very safe. :frown: Because I won't be looking/available to FT job for a PT job only. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending