The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography 4A- Friday 17th

Is anyone sitting the AQA A2 Geography 4A paper on friday?

How are you revising/ preparing for this exam?
Reply 1
Limited past papers so I'm just looking over graph types and different techniques for the section B part of the paper and looking over fieldword stuff :smile:
Reply 2
Cool, there's isn't really a lot we can do, is there?
I'll probably practice the statistical methods- chi-square, man whitney U.

Just out of interest what did you do for your feildwork?
Reply 3
We did Succession in Epping Forest, Ecosystems is my favourite topic so i liked it, what about yourself?
Yeah I'm looking over the different statistical tests and data presentation methods :tongue:
Reply 4
Not too sure what the exam I am sitting tomorrow is called... :colondollar:

Is it the AIB Cyclone Aila in Bangaldesh??
Reply 5
hey in the back of AQA phillip allan textbook theres some practice questions that i've just been looking through :smile:

also for the question "explain why the location of your fieldwork was appropriate for the investigation" what kind of things would you be mentioning, if you were doing rivers (we did the derwent river)? .. :s
Reply 6
Original post by mairi140
We did Succession in Epping Forest, Ecosystems is my favourite topic so i liked it, what about yourself?
Yeah I'm looking over the different statistical tests and data presentation methods :tongue:

We did psammosere succession at East Head Spit, West Sussex.
We did the Urban Heat Island Theory in Sheffield. Pretty easy stuff.
I'm revising by looking over the questions that they've had in the past for location, method, implications, evaluations, data analysis, data presentation, geographical understanding, why you chose this aim, etc.
Then for the 2nd section just looking over stats techniques, like chi squared, mann whitney, spearman's rank, iqr, and standard dev. Then graphical techniques, like triangular graphs, located pie charts, flow maps, charts, mean/median/mode, and +ives and -ives of each one.
Reply 8
We did Psammosere Primary Succession at Morfa Harlech National Nature Reserve, Gwynedd, North Wales :smile:

I have a question tho...do you get marks if you draw pictures to go with the questions? x
Original post by cathywalker
We did Psammosere Primary Succession at Morfa Harlech National Nature Reserve, Gwynedd, North Wales :smile:

I have a question tho...do you get marks if you draw pictures to go with the questions? x

If they were relevant.
I wouldn't personally though, only because what we studied doesn't really need diagrams.
Original post by greenfly125
If they were relevant.
I wouldn't personally though, only because what we studied doesn't really need diagrams.

So if say you had to talk about the location, could you draw a little sketch map of where it is?...sorry i'm just checking :smile:
x
So if say you had to talk about the location, could you draw a little sketch map of where it is?...sorry i'm just checking :smile:
x

Ermmm, I wouldn't because it takes up valuable writing time. When you could just write it down. What type of location of location are you trying to describe may I ask?
Original post by greenfly125
Ermmm, I wouldn't because it takes up valuable writing time. When you could just write it down. What type of location of location are you trying to describe may I ask?

O ok...i do have extra time tho :P the place we did was Morfa Harlech in North Wales :smile:
O ok...i do have extra time tho :P the place we did was Morfa Harlech in North Wales :smile:

Oh, go for it then :smile:
Original post by amy_daisy
hey in the back of AQA phillip allan textbook theres some practice questions that i've just been looking through :smile:

also for the question "explain why the location of your fieldwork was appropriate for the investigation" what kind of things would you be mentioning, if you were doing rivers (we did the derwent river)? .. :s

I'm not doing this now, but I did it in Jan so I can help as I did rivers.

Easy access to the river thus making it safe to get in and out of the water.
Could access all points of the river in a day so you would be able to get fairly accurate results as you have spread measurements over less time.
The river showed the characteristics of the typical long profile and fitted in with Bradshaw's model so you knew your results could be applicable to analyse against that.
Environment agency (or a similar organisation) has previously recorded results there so you can compare and get secondary data, so you're able to make comparisons and improve validity of investigation.

Thats all I remember learning I'm afraid, however, if it's around a 12 marker, you only need about 5 points but you must explain what effect these had on your fieldwork and relate everything back to achieving your aims (my advice is relate each point back to your aim before starting to write the next point).

Relation back to your fieldwork and aim for every question in the fieldwork section is a must if you wish to get a decent mark.

I hoped I've helped. Good luck everyone! I hated is exam :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending