The Student Room Group

I'm going to be doing A2 politics next year, any tips?

Hi, I'm planning on doing A2 politics next year (well, september actually), and i'm just wondering if there are any tips you guys could give me? Also, what is the transition like from AS to A2? Is it really that much more difficult? Btw thanks in advance for the responses (hopefully if I get some lol) guys, I really appreciate it:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't have an opinion on anything political.
Reply 2
Also, guys, which topic would you recommend (this is for Edexcel btw), Ideologies or the American Constitution? My teacher is letting the class decide, so I'm just wondering which topic would be considered to be more interesting (or easier).
I'm in the same boat, going to keep an eye on this thread :smile:
Reply 4
I can't say anything about ideologies but American politics has its good and bad points. It seems to be a lot more interesting/dramatic than British politics. Studying the Tea Party and right-wing nutters is quite fun but you get stuck looking through similar things to the British system like how elections work which I personally found quite boring. If you do US politics then pretty much disregard British politics, just keep things like the Separation of Powers in mind.

I realise this post probably wasn't very helpful. I find a lot of US politics to be quite interesting so would recommend but don't know much on ideologies. I guess it is up to you, which would you rather do?
Reply 5
DROP IT DROPT IT DROP IT DROP IT....
That is my advice :biggrin:

I do politics AS and A2 (and edexcel).... the differences between the two is MASSIVE...
The examples you need is much greater than you do in AS....
The subtopics within each is tonns

I did not say this because i did bad, i actually got 100% for AS unit 1, and 88% for A2 unit 3 (both As :smile: )
Just did my unit 2 paper, and will do unit 4 tmw...

But tbh... i regret soo much..
However, if you do REALLY want to continue with it.. .my advice is to prepare to work hard.

YOU CANNOT RELY ON TEXTBOOKS TO REVISE
THE REVISION GUIDE IS INTERNET / NEWS....

so before you start the course, my advice is to look at the topics now as to what you need to learn, such as the figures and stats of how many females supported the republicans, democrats in the midterm for example. And i will gurantee you keeping a bank of examples will help you in the future exams. and... GOOD LUCK :tongue:
Reply 6
Holy crap i'm getting worried now lol thanks for the responses guys. I mean I watch the news, but I don't remember much of what I see (I have a really bad memory). Maybe I should suscribe to Politics weekly or something..
Reply 7
Original post by ccmk
DROP IT DROPT IT DROP IT DROP IT....
That is my advice :biggrin:

I do politics AS and A2 (and edexcel).... the differences between the two is MASSIVE...
The examples you need is much greater than you do in AS....
The subtopics within each is tonns

I did not say this because i did bad, i actually got 100% for AS unit 1, and 88% for A2 unit 3 (both As :smile: )
Just did my unit 2 paper, and will do unit 4 tmw...

But tbh... i regret soo much..
However, if you do REALLY want to continue with it.. .my advice is to prepare to work hard.

YOU CANNOT RELY ON TEXTBOOKS TO REVISE
THE REVISION GUIDE IS INTERNET / NEWS....

so before you start the course, my advice is to look at the topics now as to what you need to learn, such as the figures and stats of how many females supported the republicans, democrats in the midterm for example. And i will gurantee you keeping a bank of examples will help you in the future exams. and... GOOD LUCK :tongue:

Btw, doesn't the text-book provide many substantial examples?
Get out while you can :P

I love it but will be up all night revising for tomorrows exam makes me less happy towards it
Reply 9
Original post by batboy113
Btw, doesn't the text-book provide many substantial examples?

While there are some examples that you can use from revision guides (Kennedy shot- Johnson - importance of VP in US), Politics needs very recent examples. We were made to subscribe to the Washington Post at the start of the year. Also, watching and reading the news is very important. If you are interested then don't get scared off, it is just a lot of work.

On a better note, the exams are so hard that grade boundaries are kept quite low. :smile:
Reply 10
lol I didn't know you all had an exam tomorrow. Damn, bad time to make this thread than. Most of the comments will be, "drop-it while you still can" as you'll all be sick of revising :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Also, what revision techniques do you guys use? For instance, do you lot use flash cards etc..??
Reply 12
Also, what revision techniques do you guys use? For instance, do you lot use flash cards etc..??

Different people do different things. I always rewrite notes multiple times condensing down and then write essays. My friend mind-maps everything (its weird). Also, scanning the news to see if there is anything I can use.

Ps. You seen anything interesting about US politics that I can write about tomorrow by chance?
Reply 13
Original post by Adam1502
Different people do different things. I always rewrite notes multiple times condensing down and then write essays. My friend mind-maps everything (its weird). Also, scanning the news to see if there is anything I can use.

Ps. You seen anything interesting about US politics that I can write about tomorrow by chance?

hmm I vaguely read something about congress being unauthoritative etc they haven't reauthorized Educational Law. I doubt this has anything to do with your exam so i'm sorry :tongue: I can barely remember much (I basically skimmed through the article).
Reply 14
To be honest I am surprised you bothered. It doesn't seem like a particularly interesting story and you don't even need to. Thanks. :smile:

As long as you are interested in politics the hard work doesn't mean too much. I had fun looking up the McCaine/Palin campaign and when you have candidates like Christine O'Donnell, it does definitely keep you interested. Anyway, the point is that if it is interesting to you, then you should study it. Good luck with politics next year. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Adam1502
To be honest I am surprised you bothered. It doesn't seem like a particularly interesting story and you don't even need to. Thanks. :smile:

As long as you are interested in politics the hard work doesn't mean too much. I had fun looking up the McCaine/Palin campaign and when you have candidates like Christine O'Donnell, it does definitely keep you interested. Anyway, the point is that if it is interesting to you, then you should study it. Good luck with politics next year. :smile:

Thanks alot. Good luck with your exam tomorrow :smile:
Reply 16
Also, guys, which topic would you recommend (this is for Edexcel btw), Ideologies or the American Constitution? My teacher is letting the class decide, so I'm just wondering which topic would be considered to be more interesting (or easier).

Ideologies
Reply 17
don't do it :|
saaaave yourself~
Reply 18
Original post by onlyskin
Ideologies

kk thanks. Any particular reason??
Reply 19
kk thanks. Any particular reason??

I didn't study American politics as an A2 module so I guess I can't compare, but out of everything I studied over my 2 years of Politics A Level it was probably the most interesting thing I did. It's not just about memorising facts and figures (in fact there's very little of this) but it gives you a chance to stretch your own mind I guess, you'll cover the theories of state interaction and you can study the balance and shift of power - trust me, it's just a lot more interesting. You actually get to study eminent political scholars, stuff like Samuel Huntington's Clash of Civilisations and Mary Kaldor's New World Order and Freidman (Google these guys if you want a vague idea of what it would be about). Globalisation was probably my favourite topic, but I think I did a different exam board to the one you're doing so they won't correspond exactly. Terrorism was fun too. Best way to explain it is it's the only module where you're not just studying what happened/is happening, but the underlying causes and phases.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending