The Student Room Group

japanese or german racial supremacists. who was the worse?

Poll

supremacists.

everyone has heard about the germans but what is very interesting is the racist attitudes of their allies the japanese who through the shinto religion believed themselves to be a divine and pure race which gave them mandate for their brutal imperial conquests of their neighbours, the rape of nankin and then led to the baatan death march.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Racial supremacists in general are just plain retarded, It's difficult to label one as the 'worst' or less retarded than another...

Video Related

Edit: No, really, watch the video - It's awesome.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Amounted to the same thing tbh.
Reply 3
There are loads of races on Earth who think they are superior then all others (or at least all of those they've encountered). It's how this ideology is implemented that matters.
Is your poll asking which one was worse or which one we prefer? :s-smilie:
Reply 5
All racial supremacists are pricks, it doesn't matter where they're from.
A difference between the two is that German theories of racial identity extended beyond German borders: with German soldiers encouraged to have sex with (rape) women in, for example, the Scandinavian nations to produce Aryan babies. Against all obvious reason, Japan saw itself (and sees itself) as racially distinct from its near neighbours in China and Korea.

An oddity encountered by anyone visiting Japan, and mentioned here for its having its origins in pseudoscientific racism, is the national obsession with blood types, with "what's your blood type?" there a standard conversational gambit and blood type listed in celebrity profiles and so forth. Interest in this began in the 1930s when crackpot German scientists were looking to establish a theory of racial supremacy and Japanese were offended to find that the blood type most common among Japanese was not considered the premium drop, which saw the commissioning of studies intended to reassert Japanese superiority on the point.

I don't know which was the worse, and wonder with others whether the question makes sense. What's certainly is that the Japanese are very much less contrite about the war than the Germans are, this to the extent that they even know what went on: there's been an awful lot of sweeping under the tatami.
That's a gross misunderstanding of Shinto.

Racial supremacy is immoral in all its forms. No country was 'worse' than another.
These atrocities happened decades ago, Germans and Japanese both show remorse and shame for them now. Holding them to account for the misdeeds of their ancestors just creates further racial tensions.
Original post by screenager2004

These atrocities happened decades ago, Germans and Japanese both show remorse and shame for them now.

Germans do, to the extent that it is almost boring, but the claim that Japan and the Japanese have been appropriately contrite would find few supporters in either China or Korea. In East Asian relations, 'comfort women', the 'Japanese textbook issue' (the very partial - both senses - treatment of the war in the school curriculum) and the Yasukuni shrine visits remain very sensitive topics. Yasukuni best captures the difference between the two: it is simply inconceivable that a German chancellor might do as Japanese prime ministers have repeatedly done.
Original post by screenager2004
That's a gross misunderstanding of Shinto.

Racial supremacy is immoral in all its forms. No country was 'worse' than another.
These atrocities happened decades ago, Germans and Japanese both show remorse and shame for them now. Holding them to account for the misdeeds of their ancestors just creates further racial tensions.

The Japs showing remorse? You got to be kidding.
Reply 10
The Germans have been considerably more open and conciliatory about addressing the crimes committed during ww2 than the Japanese. There are a number of Japanese historians for instance who deny or downplay the Nanking massacre amongst other atrocities, despite a huge range of evidence to the contrary.

On the thread question I would have to answer as others have done, both ideologies are equally contemptible.
I would say the Japanese because their prejudice was more deep rooted due to their isolationism which far surpassed any sort of German isolationism. The Japanese because of this, I feel, naturally had a much stronger sense of superiority than the Germans.
Japanese people are adorable, polite, and tiny.

Therefore, by association, Japanese supremacists are equal parts adorable, tiny, and polite - whilst still being scary racists.

Which makes them cooler than German racists, obviously.
Reply 13
Let me remind everyone of Unit 731
while it may not be related to racial supremacy, i don't think Britain, the US, France, Canada, Turkey, Spain, India etc etc....and most middle wing countries would do these things.
I'm sorry why are racists being sub categorised? They are all bloody stupid.
Germans are fanTASTIC people from my experiences and though I don't know many Japanese people, I hold no prejudice between them either.
Reply 15
Original post by peaceman
everyone has heard about the germans but what is very interesting is the racist attitudes of their allies the japanese who through the shinto religion believed themselves to be a divine and pure race which gave them mandate for their brutal imperial conquests of their neighbours, the rape of nankin and then led to the baatan death march.

all supremacists are the same, no matter where they are from.
Original post by DdotT
Let me remind everyone of Unit 731
while it may not be related to racial supremacy

Exactly, so what is your point, in-relation to this thread? This becomes even more irrelevant[what Unit 731 did], when you consider that the Nazi doctors[the Nazi version in a sense, of Unit 731] at the concentration camps, used horrific forms of human experimentation[like Unit 731] to try to forward and prove their crucially and deferentially[to Unit 731], a scientific form of ''racism''[thus, the Nazis being worst racial supremacists in that sense]. This being unlike Imperial Japan, were Unit 731 was used to develop solely weapons of mass destruction to use against the Chinese and the Soviets - as you implied.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
In relation to this thread as you just pointed at the two most racial supremist countries at that time period both done these experimental tests on human, not like japan used these experiments on Japanese nationals, just like Nazis used it on Jews, Japanese used it on Chinese, Korean civilians and POWs. Which again suggests both are as bad as each other. So yes this is relevant to this thread.
Original post by DdotT
In relation to this thread as you just pointed at the two most racial supremist countries at that time period both done these experimental tests on human, not like japan used these experiments on Japanese nationals, just like Nazis used it on Jews, Japanese used it on Chinese, Korean civilians and POWs. Which again suggests both are as bad as each other. So yes this is relevant to this thread.

No I didn't say that, I actually said that the Nazi and Japanese human experimentation was done for entirely different reasons, one for showing racial supremacy and the other for increasing their warfare capability and thus, the Nazi's were the worst racial supremacists because of the purpose behind the use of their human experimentation - racism.

Also the argument that you put forward, which is that they were equally as worse or ''bad'' because they both did not use human experimentation on their own people, does not stand to prove that they were ''just as bad as each other'', in-terms of racial supremacists. Firstly, using human experimentation on your own people, would not be a logical action for a regime like these two to take, when they can far more easily utilize an endless supply of wartime combatants/POWs - it has allot more to do with common sense & not showing that they were equally as bad racial supremacists. Secondly and interlinking with my first-point, is that the Nazis particularly/specifically and purposely targeted the Soviet POW's for human experimentation - & purposely didn't use the British and American POW's because of their racist ideology - because the Slavs were seen as sub-human or Untermensch in the Nazi's scientific form of ''racism'', were as the Japanese used a variety and practically any of the POW's because their human experimentation was intended to increase war waging capability's and not to forward a scientific ''racism'' like the Nazi's - thus, the Japanese used American GI's and practically anyone, as you point out, for utilization as test subjects. Thus, there's an important difference on the matter of human experimentation that both the Nazis and the Japanese undertook, in-relation to this particular question on ''racial-supremacy'' - I know that the Nazis and Japanese were ''both as bad as each other'' in a general-sense and on a human level for using this horrific human experimentation. Ultimately however, in-combination with what I have just argued, the Nazi's used human experimentation to forward their racial-supremacy and the Japanese and Unit 731 did not and thus, Unit 731 and Japanese human experimentation is irrelevant to arguing that they were both as bad as, crucially ''racial supremacists'' - this is because Unit 731 had nothing to do with race or racism at-all. Any regime can use human experimentation, even those who are not ''racial-supremacists'', the Soviets for example used it in the Gulags - there is nothing interlinking between racial supremacy and the use of human experimentation - totalitarian regimes is more of the link.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Those races are superior to others, tbf. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending