The Student Room Group

OCR Salters B F334 Chemistry of Materials (24/06/2011)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by arianna.k
exactly the same, my last exam. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS TO BE OVER. Then we just have the summer to enjoy :banana:
(i'm gonna try and ignore the thought of results until the last moment)
:s-smilie:

I'm terrified... I doubt I'll get 3A's and it's not even the course I wanted to do :s-smilie:
Reply 21
Original post by SarahTM
I'm terrified... I doubt I'll get 3A's and it's not even the course I wanted to do :s-smilie:

are you me?! haha same i need to get 3 A's which i highly doubt i will get in chemistry and am in no way in hell doing chemistry at uni...it's a sad life. All i'll be doing is some hardcore praying come results day...
Reply 22
are you me?! haha same i need to get 3 A's which i highly doubt i will get in chemistry and am in no way in hell doing chemistry at uni...it's a sad life. All i'll be doing is some hardcore praying come results day...

Agreed. I can do Chemistry-ish, just not the maths. Which is a lot. :'D
This (and probably biology) will be my downfall :']
Reply 23
Original post by SarahTM
Agreed. I can do Chemistry-ish, just not the maths. Which is a lot. :'D
This (and probably biology) will be my downfall :']

Again agreed. I hate the maths part (gave up maths last year) and i don't take biology so am already one step behind on that front.....oh dear lord. :colonhash:
Reply 24
Will Rusting come up? They've never asked about it before in the new spec.

Can some one please confirm the reactions of rusting for me? In the storyline/chemical ideas it is:

1/2 o2 +H20 + 2e- ----> 2OH-

whereas in another book, and the revision guide it is o2 + 2H20 + 4e- ----> 4OH-

Confused, Help :smile:
Reply 25
Rusting is part of the new specification me thinks both equations are right, when doing rusting the amount of o2 is different throughout the water droplet so near edges for the water droplet there is more o2 absorbed therefore more o2 in your equation. At center of droplet amount of o2 absorbed is less so you use equation with less.

Also does the steel making process come up in f334? I don't see it in the specification but it is in the storylines. I know the Carbon stuff doesn't come up any more but does the BOS process?
Reply 26
Original post by kinkin
Rusting is part of the new specification me thinks both equations are right, when doing rusting the amount of o2 is different throughout the water droplet so near edges for the water droplet there is more o2 absorbed therefore more o2 in your equation. At center of droplet amount of o2 absorbed is less so you use equation with less.

Also does the steel making process come up in f334? I don't see it in the specification but it is in the storylines. I know the Carbon stuff doesn't come up any more but does the BOS process?

The BOS can come up, its in the new end of module test and also in a small paragraph in the revision guide. They're wont be a monster question on it, probably 1-2 marks on a reaction, then why scrap steel is added which is what they normally ask. Not equipment or how the furnace works etc.
Reply 27
Original post by ManPowa
Will Rusting come up? They've never asked about it before in the new spec.

Can some one please confirm the reactions of rusting for me? In the storyline/chemical ideas it is:

1/2 o2 +H20 + 2e- ----> 2OH-

whereas in another book, and the revision guide it is o2 + 2H20 + 4e- ----> 4OH-

Confused, Help :smile:

It's the exact same thing, the moles are just doubled in the o2 one. both would get you the marks.
Reply 28
Again agreed. I hate the maths part (gave up maths last year) and i don't take biology so am already one step behind on that front.....oh dear lord. :colonhash:

I didn't even attempt maths :'D
There's not that much to the Biology... Our chemistry teacher mocks us for taking it and asks do we have our colouring pencils for the exam :'D
You'll be fine :]]
Reply 29
Looks like I'll be coming back to this thread the night before the exam while crying and wailing frantically
Reply 30
I thought the paper was pretty straight forward when i sat it in january, but i didn't do as well as i'd hoped. I realised i made many silly mistakes when I went over it.
Reply 31
Can anyone help in combing half equations and that sort of stuff? I absolutely cannot do it at all..

For example, they give you a table of 3 weird looking reaction and ask you to refer to the data and thus write an overall equation that occurs.

Help :/
Original post by ManPowa
Can anyone help in combing half equations and that sort of stuff? I absolutely cannot do it at all..

For example, they give you a table of 3 weird looking reaction and ask you to refer to the data and thus write an overall equation that occurs.

Help :/

It goes anticlockwise :smile:

Basically, the one with a higher electrode potential goes backwards, and the lower electrode potential goes forwards
<----------------------
| Reaction A +0.4V
| Reaction B +0.2 V
| Rection C -1.6V
--------------------------->
Write a reaction for A/C, A would go back, C would go forward :smile:
Reply 33
Just wanna ****ing die. :frown:
Reply 34
Original post by sagskay
Just wanna ****ing die. :frown:

Whats up mate?
Reply 35
not looking forward to this.. being one boring unit does not help revision :\
Reply 36
Original post by feelbetter
I thought the paper was pretty straight forward when i sat it in january, but i didn't do as well as i'd hoped. I realised i made many silly mistakes when I went over it.

OMFG you scared me so bad I thought I missed the paper LOL when you started off with " I thought paper was pretty straight forward." I have never done well in this unit the highest I have ever for was an E, worst thing I think I kinda know all the knowledge any tips on what to do, this time im going to do past papers from jan 2002-2011 hopefully that will help me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by kinkin
OMFG you scared me so bad I thought I missed the paper LOL when you started off with " I thought paper was pretty straight forward." I have never done well in this unit the highest I have ever for was an E, worst thing I think I kinda know all the knowledge any tips on what to do, this time im going to do past papers from jan 2002-2011 hopefully that will help me.

Lol, I always get scared that I somehow won't wake up for a morning exam, I put 2 alarms on incase :/ Will always be a fear! I think that's the best you can do really! all the past papers, questions often repeat, even if they're worded slightly different. Exam writer people(who ever they are) can't be bothered writing too many new questions :tongue:
Reply 38
Original post by ManPowa
Whats up mate?

D'awww you're so nice :')
just dreading that last exam. my other four retakes didn't go so well so I'm trying to nail this exam but it's just SO boring. i mean, i dropped biology AS for a reason :redface: are you doing it too?
Reply 39
Has anyone read all the storylines for this exam??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending