The Student Room Group

OCR Salters B F334 Chemistry of Materials (24/06/2011)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by zahre
Has anyone read all the storylines for this exam??

storylines has so much unneccesary crap, except for thread of life. if you've got the Salters A2 revision guide, the storylines you'll need to refer to will be shaded in the spider diagram at the beginning of each topic.
Reply 41
Original post by sagskay
D'awww you're so nice :')
just dreading that last exam. my other four retakes didn't go so well so I'm trying to nail this exam but it's just SO boring. i mean, i dropped biology AS for a reason :redface: are you doing it too?

I know what you mean, but dont worry, you'll be ok, just pray that the exam is good :smile: And yeah, im re-taking got a boring 'D' for this unit in January, and i think im going to go lower lol i cant stop yawning when im revising for this unit. :s-smilie:

How was F335 last week? :smile:
Reply 42
does ne1 have the f334 jan 11 paper?????
if so plz postt!!
Reply 43
Original post by ManPowa
I know what you mean, but dont worry, you'll be ok, just pray that the exam is good :smile: And yeah, im re-taking got a boring 'D' for this unit in January, and i think im going to go lower lol i cant stop yawning when im revising for this unit. :s-smilie:

How was F335 last week? :smile:

*sigh* i deffo did worse than a D whenever i've done it before. it's just so boring with all this chemical storylines nonsense. ugh! F335 could've gone better in all honesty, but i did the best i could. can't really tell if it was good or bad though, salters is so specific and just hard, you think you've done well when you reaaaaally haven't :/ how'd you find it?
Reply 44
i got jan 2011 but not sure how to post...F334Jan11.pdf
Reply 45
Original post by Rei5
does ne1 have the f334 jan 11 paper?????
if so plz postt!!

meh that was easy MS_F334_Jan11.pdf
Reply 46
Original post by kinkin
meh that was easy MS_F334_Jan11.pdf

Nice one, I got my paper back and went through it myself, but now I can use the mark scheme too, thanks!
Reply 47
Original post by DCRichards
Nice one, I got my paper back and went through it myself, but now I can use the mark scheme too, thanks!

Are you taking this exam on friday? Wat did you get in january?
Reply 48
Do we need to know how to name complex ions? It's in the textbook but not mentioned in the spec. Also do we need to learn the structure of EDTA?
Reply 49
Is it just me or is there a mistake in the markscheme in the F334 Mark scheme for jan 2011.

For question 2, the oxidation state for 03-was meant to be -5 which the bromine being +5, therefore the compound being zero. But the markscheme says +5 and -2 :/ What the hell?

Is this another mistake, that OCR have made?:angry:
Reply 50
Original post by bzzz
Do we need to know how to name complex ions? It's in the textbook but not mentioned in the spec. Also do we need to learn the structure of EDTA?

Nope no naming of complex ions not in the spec, but the books all have half a page on nameing complex ions, i suppose its good for background knowledge and how complexes work. :biggrin:

And yeah, you need to have a outline of EDTA 4 - as a polydentate and ethanedioate ions as a bidentate. So basically, be able to recognise their structures.:smile:
Reply 51
Original post by ManPowa
Is it just me or is there a mistake in the markscheme in the F334 Mark scheme for jan 2011.

For question 2, the oxidation state for 03-was meant to be -5 which the bromine being +5, therefore the compound being zero. But the markscheme says +5 and -2 :/ What the hell?

Yeah thats what got me thinking aswell. was doing the paper before and when I came to marking it that seemed abit odd. I think it is a mistake.
Hoping I can revise all of this by Friday...need a good mark to make up for the atrocity that was the Chemistry By Design paper. Is reading Chemical Storylines absolutely necessary, or can I just stick to Chemical Ideas and my good ol' CGP revision guide?
Reply 53
Original post by sagskay
storylines has so much unneccesary crap, except for thread of life. if you've got the Salters A2 revision guide, the storylines you'll need to refer to will be shaded in the spider diagram at the beginning of each topic.

Very true! I've read through storylines but it's always come across as examples of the theory in practice, which although interesting is almost entirely irrelevant to the exam. (with a few exceptions ie BOS, nitrogen cycle and rust).
Reply 54
Original post by ManPowa
Nope no naming of complex ions not in the spec, but the books all have half a page on nameing complex ions, i suppose its good for background knowledge and how complexes work. :biggrin:

And yeah, you need to have a outline of EDTA 4 - as a polydentate and ethanedioate ions as a bidentate. So basically, be able to recognise their structures.:smile:

wut.
lol i have no idea about what you just said, what is polydentate?? ARGHHH ima gonna fail :frown:
Reply 55
Original post by beckyxo
wut.
lol i have no idea about what you just said, what is polydentate?? ARGHHH ima gonna fail :frown:

Polydentate is when there are several bonds between the central transition metal ion and the surrounding ligands in a complex. :smile:
Original post by ManPowa

It isn't a mistake. In the ion BrO3- the oxidation state of oxygen in O3 is -2 for one, but it's overall -6 (because there's three of them, -2x3 = -6). To bring the overall charge on the charge to -1 then the oxidation state of bromine has to become +5. Remember, it's an ion not a molecule so the oxidation states overall = the charge on the ion.
Original post by zahre
Yeah thats what got me thinking aswell. was doing the paper before and when I came to marking it that seemed abit odd. I think it is a mistake.

It's not a mistake - see my other post above :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by zahre
Polydentate is when there are several bonds between the central transition metal ion and the surrounding ligands in a complex. :smile:

so its a word for the bond between ligands and the metal ion?

whats bidentate...is that when there is only two or something? :s-smilie:
Reply 59
Original post by feelbetter
NMR won't be in their, neither will equilibrium constants (i.e Kc, they're only f335) However I feel a translation/transcription question will probably come up.

I did the January paper and translation question came up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending