The Student Room Group

AQA M2- June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoffeeStinks
On the specimen paper why does kt turn positive after integration?

Q. 6 a

I'm not 100% sure if the answer in the question paper is right... :s-smilie: can anyone confirm this? I think the final answer is right in the mark scheme but not in the paper? MAYBE :s-smilie:

But I think in the mark scheme they mean 1/(2v^2) = kt + 1/(2u^2) rather than -1/(2v^2) = kt + 1/(2u^2) that's what I got anyway in which case I just multiplied both sides by -1.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SmileyGurl13
I'm not 100% sure if the answer in the question paper is right... :s-smilie: can anyone confirm this?

But I think in the mark scheme they mean 1/(2v^2) = kt + 1/(2u^2) rather than -1/(2v^2) = kt + 1/(2u^2) that's what I got anyway in which case I just multiplied both sides by -1.

But if you integrate 1/v^3 it's like integrating v^-3.

That gives you (v^-2)/-2 , which gives you -1/(2v^2)

From what I got all the expressions were negative. :s-smilie:
Reply 62
Yeah :smile: the energy at the top of the hill must equal the energy at the bottom of the loop as none is lost, yes this does still equal the energy at the top of the loop too but you don't need that to work out h. Hope that helps!

ahh cool, almost ruined my entire cofidence looking through that specimen but it's not actually to bad, although I can't get the answer to the one about the moon and do you know how to explain 5d at all :confused: sorry for all the questions!!
But if you integrate 1/v^3 it's like integrating v^-3.

That gives you (v^-2)/-2 , which gives you -1/(2v^2)

From what I got all the expressions were negative. :s-smilie:

So did you get -1/(2v^2) = -kt + c ?

Because then you can multiply through by -1, to give

1/(2v^2) = kt + a

:smile:
Original post by Naathan_b
ahh cool, almost ruined my entire cofidence looking through that specimen but it's not actually to bad, although I can't get the answer to the one about the moon and do you know how to explain 5d at all :confused: sorry for all the questions!!

Well basically for 5d) you need to calculate the work done against friction in getting to the wall, if it's greater than the energy you had at the beginning (the elastic potential energy) you can't get to the wall as you don't have enough energy to overcome it. But if it's less you can, so work done = force x distance so plug in the values for those and if it's less than 16 (epe) you can get to the wall - any left over energy is kinetic energy :smile:.

And what part of the moon bit don't you understand cos I can help with that too!
So did you get -1/(2v^2) = -kt + c ?

Because then you can multiply through by -1, to give

1/(2v^2) = kt + a

:smile:

nope I got -1/(2v^2) = -kt -1/(2U^2)

I must have miscalculated but I just can't for the life of me work out where.
Reply 66
Well basically for 5d) you need to calculate the work done against friction in getting to the wall, if it's greater than the energy you had at the beginning (the elastic potential energy) you can't get to the wall as you don't have enough energy to overcome it. But if it's less you can, so work done = force x distance so plug in the values for those and if it's less than 16 (epe) you can get to the wall - any left over energy is kinetic energy :smile:.

And what part of the moon bit don't you understand cos I can help with that too!

ahh cool, totally get that now thanks!

and with the moon I know what I need to do and what numbers to put in but I just couldn't see how to get the printed answer :/
nope I got -1/(2v^2) = -kt -1/(2U^2)

I must have miscalculated but I just can't for the life of me work out where.

No thaat's what I got sorry you've already calculate the constant of integration :P

But yeah so just times through by -1 and that's how they got kt to be positive I think in the mark scheme it's a mistake where they have -1/(2v^2) = kt + 1/(2U^2) I think it should be 1/(2v^2) = kt + 1/(2U^2) which is what you got!
ahh cool, totally get that now thanks!

and with the moon I know what I need to do and what numbers to put in but I just couldn't see how to get the printed answer :/

For a or b ?

A) F = mv^2 / r so v = sqr root of (Fr/m) then just plug in the values given

and b) I did it differently but in the mark scheme they used time = distance/speed so the distance is the circumference of the circle and speed is what you just calculated :smile:
Reply 69
For a or b ?

A) F = mv^2 / r so v = sqr root of (Fr/m) then just plug in the values given

and b) I did it differently but in the mark scheme they used time = distance/speed so the distance is the circumference of the circle and speed is what you just calculated :smile:

both parts really, should be able to get it now thanks!
No thaat's what I got sorry you've already calculate the constant of integration :P

But yeah so just times through by -1 and that's how they got kt to be positive I think in the mark scheme it's a mistake where they have -1/(2v^2) = kt + 1/(2U^2) I think it should be 1/(2v^2) = kt + 1/(2U^2) which is what you got!

Glad to hear that I was on the right track.

Reply 71

right so I just tried 5d and am I doing it right, will the WD against friction be 0.6*F because for F I get it to be g so 0.6*g=5.88 but in the mark scheme it has 9.8 as the answer so I dont know if i'm doing it right :confused:
Reply 72
You know f =mv^2/r

Which direction is F ? Is it acting towards the centre?
Reply 73
Original post by OllyHV
You know f =mv^2/r

Which direction is F ? Is it acting towards the centre?

Yupp :smile:
right so I just tried 5d and am I doing it right, will the WD against friction be 0.6*F because for F I get it to be g so 0.6*g=5.88 but in the mark scheme it has 9.8 as the answer so I dont know if i'm doing it right :confused:

The distance travelled is 1 not 0.6 because it's being released from when it was extended :smile:
Reply 75
The distance travelled is 1 not 0.6 because it's being released from when it was extended :smile:

ahh gotcha, thanks once again! :biggrin:
ahh gotcha, thanks once again! :biggrin:

It's no problem at all! Could you help do you think? :smile:

http://www.billgrisdaledesign.co.uk/DCHS_mathspapers/images/AQA-MM2B-W-QP-Jan11.pdf

Q5

I don't understand why the centripetal force is equal to the friction :s-smilie:
Reply 77
I'd really appreciate it if somebody could go over 7a from http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-MM2B-W-QP-JUN09.PDF

I know the exam's really close now, but no matter how many times I read the mark scheme I don't have a clue haha. Guess that's what happens when you sit this exam in year 12 without being taught half of it.
Reply 78
It's no problem at all! Could you help do you think? :smile:

http://www.billgrisdaledesign.co.uk/DCHS_mathspapers/images/AQA-MM2B-W-QP-Jan11.pdf

Q5

I don't understand why the centripetal force is equal to the friction :s-smilie:

Well what I just did was say that R=mg so F=0.3mg then 0.3mg=mv² /r and you pretty much do the same for the last part. I dont know if that answers what you asked but it gives you the right answer :biggrin:
Original post by OllyHV
I'd really appreciate it if somebody could go over 7a from http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-MM2B-W-QP-JUN09.PDF

I know the exam's really close now, but no matter how many times I read the mark scheme I don't have a clue haha. Guess that's what happens when you sit this exam in year 12 without being taught half of it.

Find my solution attached :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending