The Student Room Group

Law Express?

Soo -- I had my exams in the beginning of May and results were published a few days ago. No shocker, but I have to resit my Land Law exam. Now, I think one of the main reasons I failed was simply because I never ever understood Land Law, and it all seemed like a foreign language to me. I spent the month and a bit leading upto my exam trying to teach myself something I never understood so my question is:

Are law express books useful? I know people say to not rely on them completely, and to just use it as guidance because textbooks can be quite complicated.

What're your thoughts? Any recommendations on nutshell books? I have 3 weeks to my resit!
(edited 12 years ago)
Express books are great for giving you the basic knowledge on key concepts/ideas/precedents within that particular legal area. However, they may fail to give you a real indepth anaylsis on certain things, for example... Express books may only provide enough information to give you a good answer and not a great answer (backed up by criticism, reform, dissenting judgements, and a balanced legal argument). However, they are cheap compared to normal books and have much positive feedback.

Goodluck.
Reply 2
I bought Law Express books this year for some of my exams, (Land Law, Tort Law, EU Law).
I personally found that the Land Law Law Express book did not really help me much, it provided some good points but it was very limited and i found in the exam most of the stuff i had read in the book did not even come up. Your best off just revising from your Lecture notes with additional text book reading.

Although if you are still wanting to invest in a Law Express book, you can buy this years Land Law edition from as little as 3.50 on Amazon.
Reply 3
I had the same problem as the above, in that the content is very limited! You may find it helpful to explain the topic briefly but I would definitely make sure to use another textbook and your lecture/seminar notes. And don't worry people either LOVE land law and get it straight away or struggle and hate it. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Nutshell books are much better!
Reply 5
Original post by NoshiSushi
Soo -- I had my exams in the beginning of May and results were published a few days ago. No shocker, but I have to resit my Land Law exam. Now, I think one of the main reasons I failed was simply because I never ever understood Land Law, and it all seemed like a foreign language to me. I spent the month and a bit leading upto my exam trying to teach myself something I never understood so my question is:

Are law express books useful? I know people say to not rely on them completely, and to just use it as guidance because textbooks can be quite complicated.

What're your thoughts? Any recommendations on nutshell books? I have 3 weeks to my resit!

I had a lot of stuff like this for land law and the nutshell is by far the best. I only had the nutshell and managed to score 60, which isn't particularly impressive, but when 40% of the people fail the module completely (at Hull) any pass is good!
Original post by The_Goose
I had a lot of stuff like this for land law and the nutshell is by far the best. I only had the nutshell and managed to score 60, which isn't particularly impressive, but when 40% of the people fail the module completely (at Hull) any pass is good!

40% of the students fail land law? Why?! Is it that hard? I have to take it next year.
Reply 7
Original post by marrythenight
40% of the students fail land law? Why?! Is it that hard? I have to take it next year.

yurp. It's something that people just don't get. It's an odd mismatch of common law and equity, registered and unregistered land and some odd rules that apply only to land because of its infinite, indestructible nature.

Don't get me wrong, I know a couple of people who got firsts in it, but I know more people who failed or got in the low 40s
yurp. It's something that people just don't get. It's an odd mismatch of common law and equity, registered and unregistered land and some odd rules that apply only to land because of its infinite, indestructible nature.

Don't get me wrong, I know a couple of people who got firsts in it, but I know more people who failed or got in the low 40s

Oh no, sounds awful. At my university, the module is called 'Property' and includes land law.
Reply 9
Original post by marrythenight
Oh no, sounds awful. At my university, the module is called 'Property' and includes land law.

Well we do two. We do Law of property 1 (Land Law) and Law of property 2 (Law of Trusts). Personally i think that they teach them the wrong way around and should teach trusts before land because a lot of land is on trusts but meh, I don't set to curriculum. I got 60 in Land and 72 in trusts =S
Well we do two. We do Law of property 1 (Land Law) and Law of property 2 (Law of Trusts). Personally i think that they teach them the wrong way around and should teach trusts before land because a lot of land is on trusts but meh, I don't set to curriculum. I got 60 in Land and 72 in trusts =S

Oh we also do trusts. Oh well...

Thanks Lucy :smile:
Reply 11
Thanks so much you guys!

So Law Express is crap for Land, and nutshells are better! At this point, I'm capped at 40% but obviously I'm not going to look at it that way, I want to go into it thinking that it's me going in my first time around. Hopefully the nutshell book will help because Land Law is just a foreign language to me. =/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending