The Student Room Group

Mature Student admission for LLB

I was wondering if anyone knew about mature student entry for the LLB at UCL, KCL or LSE.

I am a mature student and did an Access course to HE Science in 2018 and did very well. I went to university to study biology but dropped out during my second year (thanks Covid), and didn’t do too well.

I am currently looking at going back to university to study the LLB and wanted to try out for a better university like UCL, KCL or LSE but I have no idea if they’re going to even consider my application due to my Access course being over 5 years old and my university studies not being be best.

I have an offer at The University of Law to start in September, but I don’t know if I should reapply for entry for 2024 and do the LNAT to see if I can get into a more internationally renowned university.

Should I bother applying for 2024 entry for these universities with the LNAT, or do I have no hope at all getting into these more prestigious universities and just go to the University of Law?
Original post by ShriyaS
I was wondering if anyone knew about mature student entry for the LLB at UCL, KCL or LSE.

I am a mature student and did an Access course to HE Science in 2018 and did very well. I went to university to study biology but dropped out during my second year (thanks Covid), and didn’t do too well.

I am currently looking at going back to university to study the LLB and wanted to try out for a better university like UCL, KCL or LSE but I have no idea if they’re going to even consider my application due to my Access course being over 5 years old and my university studies not being be best.

I have an offer at The University of Law to start in September, but I don’t know if I should reapply for entry for 2024 and do the LNAT to see if I can get into a more internationally renowned university.

Should I bother applying for 2024 entry for these universities with the LNAT, or do I have no hope at all getting into these more prestigious universities and just go to the University of Law?

Hi Shriya,

Is your intention to be a solicitor?

Studying at a more prestigious uni may mean it is more academic application of law/ intellectual discourse about the law and the role it plays Vs practical application.
Reply 2
Original post by ShriyaS

did you apply? I want to apply too but my qualifications are 2015! they meet the requirements though
Original post by Timara
did you apply? I want to apply too but my qualifications are 2015! they meet the requirements though

Did u end up applying?
Original post by She-Ra
Hi Shriya,
Is your intention to be a solicitor?
Studying at a more prestigious uni may mean it is more academic application of law/ intellectual discourse about the law and the role it plays Vs practical application.

Undergraduate law degrees in the UK are to a large extent academic in nature. Practical lawyering is learned partly at the professional stage of legal training, and mainly during pupillage (barrister) or during a training contract (solicitor). The solicitors at the leading law firms tend to have studied at well known universities, often but not always those in the Russell Group.

The academic study of the law provides a foundation for practising law. Even the most business-oriented solicitor is better at his or her job if he or she has been well educated in the fundamentals of the law before going on to practical training. Those who seek to practise as solicitors in legally technical areas benefit from good academic education, and those who seek to practise as barristers benefit perhaps even more from a rigorous academic phase of their training. Being a barrister involves practical skills, but can also be quite a scholarly job, in which things learned at law school remain relevant to everyday work.

Those who do non-law degrees obtain the academic ingredient of legal training through the GDL. It is also now possible to take the SQE without a degree, and to train as a lawyer by apprenticeship, but at present most entrants to the legal profession have degrees (in law or other subjects).

If the OP is still reading this thread, I don't know enough about your circumstances to express a view on whether you could have a shot at UCL, KCL, or LSE. I am sorry to be blunt, but the undergraduate degrees of the University of Law don't have a great reputation amongst the upper end of the legal profession. Whether or not that is fair, that's currently how it is. Some law firms and chambers assess applications with university names concealed, which is a good thing, but many (not all) graduates of the higher rated universities may make a stronger showing in their applications.

SB (a practising barrister with a non law degree and a GDL).
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending