The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
But Manchester is A*AA too, why is Manchester entry grades so high? I mean if it was as good as oxford then fair enough but :frown:

durham is also A*AA as is imperial and many other "top" unis, physics is usually a subject studied by very clever people and competition for places at the top unis is quite high hence the A*AA requirements at many institutions, manchester has also developed into one of the best universities in the uk and has quite a good reputation - not sure if Brian Cox has anything to do with it though.
Original post by sohail.s
durham is also A*AA as is imperial and many other "top" unis, physics is usually a subject studied by very clever people and competition for places at the top unis is quite high hence the A*AA requirements at many institutions, manchester has also developed into one of the best universities in the uk and has quite a good reputation - not sure if Brian Cox has anything to do with it though.

If I get into Manchester I am actually going to try and find him :wink:
Reply 782
Just got an offer from Warwick for AAA :smile:
Original post by Steve93
Just got an offer from Warwick for AAA :smile:

When did you apply???
Reply 784
When did you apply???

About a month ago, Warwick took the longest to get a reply from.
I think it was somewhere on this thread and it said that Manchester offers 90% of its applicants - is this true?

Yes this is true I posted it after emailing Manchester.
Reply 786
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
Anyone heard anything about this Oxford PAT screw up? Seems pretty confusing. Apparently according to the Oxford physics applicants 2012 thread, there's a ban on discussion of the PAT until November 30th. People were saying it was due to some Thai and USA students not having sat the test yet? Some people said because of snowstorms, but if this is the case then why are other subjects requiring aptitude tests handing out offers? Someone said, you might not hear from them 5 days before the interview, as they won't start even considering them until November 30th.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

I doubt that this is true, theres already been discussion on it anyway so I hopes theres not people still waiting to do the test. Also why can they not mark papers until the 30th, theres no good reason for this.
Reply 787
Predictions: A*AA
A levels: Maths, Physics and economics
I'm applying for theoretical physics at Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and York, and i have had offers from Warwick, Sheffield and attended a york interview yesterday! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
But Manchester is A*AA too, why is Manchester entry grades so high? I mean if it was as good as oxford then fair enough but :frown:

One of the best departments in the country. Problem with A-level is that the grades come is such big discrete chunks, it's hard to differentiate, hence why oxford put a lot of resources into the interview process, to get the best (and not just the ones who are good at learning mark schemes, but have creative minds)

On another note, offer from Birmingham! So pleased as is one of my top choices, maybe only second to Durham. Is my first offer, only 10 days after i sent off which isn't too bad. AAA in Maths, Physics, and either Further maths or Chemistry (already got an A in maths). Annoyingly, i've gotten into the habit of checking my ucas/email everyday, and this went through the post only, but was a nice surprise when i got home :smile:
Reply 789
Got my first offer, from Warwick: A*AA
Original post by T194
I doubt that this is true, theres already been discussion on it anyway so I hopes theres not people still waiting to do the test. Also why can they not mark papers until the 30th, theres no good reason for this.

Yeahh, some people did take the test late (phone Oxford today) because of snowstorms and floods. But they said they were taking it into consideration. Should hear next week sometime apparently.
Original post by jeffster7
Predictions: A*AA
A levels: Maths, Physics and economics
I'm applying for theoretical physics at Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield and York, and i have had an offer from Warwick and attended a york interview yesterday! :biggrin:

How did the York interview go? What was it like? I've got one in couple of weeks so I'd quite like to know. :tongue:
Reply 792
On the Leeds website, for the Bsc in physics it says they require ABB, on UCAS it says AAA-ABB.

Which is right? Is it more likley to be higher than ABB? I was hoping that Leeds would be a backup but maybe not anymore :frown:
Reply 793
Predicted A*AAA in Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Geography respectively.
Applied to study Physics at Durham, Bath, Lancaster, Nottingham and Sussex. Got an offer from Nottingham 'cept they wont tell me requirements 'til I attend a visit day where I talk 'informally to an academic member of staff'... Anyone else applied there and got that? :s-smilie:
Original post by Eggy94
Predicted A*AAA in Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Geography respectively.
Applied to study Physics at Durham, Bath, Lancaster, Nottingham and Sussex. Got an offer from Nottingham 'cept they wont tell me requirements 'til I attend a visit day where I talk 'informally to an academic member of staff'... Anyone else applied there and got that? :s-smilie:

Everyone gets that from what I've heard (including me :tongue:) offer will most likely be standard grade requirements. I'm pretty sure they're just checking up on any extenuating circumstances; it's the way they do things, don't worry you have an offer one way or another. :biggrin:
Reply 795
Original post by RedDevilThing
Everyone gets that from what I've heard (including me :tongue:) offer will most likely be standard grade requireents. I'm pretty sure they're just checking up on any extenuating circumstances; it's the way they do things, don't worry you have an offer one way or another. :biggrin:

Oh good, bit of a pain having to wait until February to find out but as long as it's not above the standard offer then I guess it's worth the wait :biggrin: It all seems a bit overcomplicated though, having to go to visit days before getting an offer despite already having been before. If I have to travel to Durham again sometime soon, I won't be too happy :tongue:
Reply 796
Original post by RedDevilThing
How did the York interview go? What was it like? I've got one in couple of weeks so I'd quite like to know. :tongue:

It could depend on who interviews you, as everyone in my group went with a different member of the physics department. However, according to my student guides, they are all nice apart from one who's apparently quite nasty (I didn't get him :smile:). During my interview he asked me why I'm going to York, how my studies at school were going and why I choose theoretical physics instead of straight physics. He then asked me a question about a ball going around a frisbee and the forces acting on it etc. However, this question will differ between interviewers! Overall though, they were friendly and it may be nerve wracking to start with but you'll probably be fine once you start talking to the interviewer! :biggrin: I hope this helps you for your interview as I got told nothing about it :s-smilie:
Original post by sohail.s

I am not sure about Brian Cox effect but Manchester has two Nobel prize winners in the School of Physics . Two more than Oxford. Actually I am not sure if Manchester or Oxford is currently in any sense a better Physics department, but there is no doubt Physics is very strong in Manchester.
Reply 798
Original post by BillLionheart
I am not sure about Brian Cox effect but Manchester has two Nobel prize winners in the School of Physics . Two more than Oxford. Actually I am not sure if Manchester or Oxford is currently in any sense a better Physics department, but there is no doubt Physics is very strong in Manchester.

As does Nottingham1
Reply 799
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Ah, brilliant! Congrats :smile: Mind if I ask when you sent off your application (did you have an interview?)? I'm waiting impatiently for Durham to get back to me... :P

I applied on the 7th of October, so pretty early on. Haven't heard about college or specifics yet; I just got an e-mail from the physics department saying I have an offer and inviting me to a departmental open day. Apparently they send my info to my preferred college who make it all official through UCAS, this has yet to happen though:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending