The Student Room Group

Mature Student - Number of years eligible for Student Finance

Hello,

I am applying as a Mature Student (30 years old) for 2024/25 and am trying to find out how many years of Tuition funding I will be eligible for and how much I will need to pay myself.
I previously attended university for 2 years (back in 2012/13 and 2013/14) doing the first year (level 4) of 2 different courses. I switched from Computer Science to Mathematics in 2013. I received funding for both of these years.
My understanding is that I am eligible for the number of years for my current course (that I am applying for) plus 1 year and then minus any years of previous. For example, if I was accepted onto a 3 year Undergraduate Degree then I would have (3 + 1 - 2) two years of funding from Student Finance and then need to pay for one myself. Similarly, I would be funded for 3 years if I applied to a 4 year degree course.
Is this correct? Do I still get the "plus one year" added to the new course I am applying for? Also, which years would I need to fund myself; do I start paying after using up my remaining eligible years or do I pay the first year of study myself and then I will receive funding for my remaining years?
And finally, does this impact Maintenance loans or Disabled Students' Allowance? I will also be applying for both of these and I'm not sure if I will receive these types of support even in the year(s) that I am not eligible to receive Tuition Loans for.
Original post by DanMast94
Hello,
I am applying as a Mature Student (30 years old) for 2024/25 and am trying to find out how many years of Tuition funding I will be eligible for and how much I will need to pay myself.
I previously attended university for 2 years (back in 2012/13 and 2013/14) doing the first year (level 4) of 2 different courses. I switched from Computer Science to Mathematics in 2013. I received funding for both of these years.
My understanding is that I am eligible for the number of years for my current course (that I am applying for) plus 1 year and then minus any years of previous. For example, if I was accepted onto a 3 year Undergraduate Degree then I would have (3 + 1 - 2) two years of funding from Student Finance and then need to pay for one myself. Similarly, I would be funded for 3 years if I applied to a 4 year degree course.
Is this correct? Do I still get the "plus one year" added to the new course I am applying for? Also, which years would I need to fund myself; do I start paying after using up my remaining eligible years or do I pay the first year of study myself and then I will receive funding for my remaining years?
And finally, does this impact Maintenance loans or Disabled Students' Allowance? I will also be applying for both of these and I'm not sure if I will receive these types of support even in the year(s) that I am not eligible to receive Tuition Loans for.

Hi Dan,

If you don't have a qualification then it won't impact your maintenance loan. DSA is a separate source of funding so that's not impacted either.

What is the course you're now looking to do and is this full or part time? If it's not an exception course then yes, unless you previously withdrew for reasons outwith your control then your previous study calculation would be as you've advised which means your fees would not be covered for the first year of the new course (if it's two years of previous study). Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Dan,
If you don't have a qualification then it won't impact your maintenance loan. DSA is a separate source of funding so that's not impacted either.
What is the course you're now looking to do and is this full or part time? If it's not an exception course then yes, unless you previously withdrew for reasons outwith your control then your previous study calculation would be as you've advised which means your fees would not be covered for the first year of the new course (if it's two years of previous study). Thanks, Jason

I am applying for a full time Undergraduate Course (which may be a 4 year course in Scotland or a 3 year course in England, I haven't firmly accepted my offers yet). And just to clarify what you said about reasons out of my control, that is just to say that if I had to leave for reasons completely outside of my control then the calculation would be different?
Do I still need to apply for Tuition this year even though I need to cover the first year of my new course myself? Mainly I ask as I would still need to apply for Maintenance and DSA anyway, but would I also need to show I tried to apply this year in order to get the funding in years 2 and 3 (and 4)? Will this be impacted by the new Lifelong Loan Entitlement (LLE) coming in next year?
I am applying for a full time Undergraduate Course (which may be a 4 year course in Scotland or a 3 year course in England, I haven't firmly accepted my offers yet). And just to clarify what you said about reasons out of my control, that is just to say that if I had to leave for reasons completely outside of my control then the calculation would be different?
Do I still need to apply for Tuition this year even though I need to cover the first year of my new course myself? Mainly I ask as I would still need to apply for Maintenance and DSA anyway, but would I also need to show I tried to apply this year in order to get the funding in years 2 and 3 (and 4)? Will this be impacted by the new Lifelong Loan Entitlement (LLE) coming in next year?

I can't comment on this LLE thing, but regarding some of the other points based on my experiences:

The remarks about reasons outside your control is about whether you would be able to apply for an additional year of funding under Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). This can be due to various factors including but not limited to e.g. bereavements, health issues (physical or mental), etc. If you do apply for CPR the important thing is to get as much documented evidence as you can e.g. death certificates, discharge letters, letters from GP/therapist/counsellor/etc, as applicable.

I've always applied for the full package every year (even when I knew I wasn't entitled to e.g. the tuition fees) just so I was fully assessed. They just said "no you aren't entitled to this but you are entitled to that" more or less. Since you apply for them all more or less at the same time through the same process, applying for tuition fees would just be a matter of ticking another box.

Note that part-time courses are funded by a separate model to full time courses and presently if you did not achieve a qualification then you should be entitled to full funding for a part-time course (tuition fee and maintenance loan). This may or may not be relevant to your situation but is something to be aware of.

Hi Dan,

What is the course you're looking to study so we can see if this is an exception course or not. Is this full time or part time?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 5
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Dan,
What is the course you're looking to study so we can see if this is an exception course or not. Is this full time or part time?
Thanks,
Claire

I am applying for a Full Time Undergraduate Degree in GAME DESIGN & PRODUCTION at ABERTAY UNIVERSITY, although this is only what I have currently put on my application (and may change) as I haven't made a Firm choice between the offers I have received yet.
I am applying for a Full Time Undergraduate Degree in GAME DESIGN & PRODUCTION at ABERTAY UNIVERSITY, although this is only what I have currently put on my application (and may change) as I haven't made a Firm choice between the offers I have received yet.

Thank you.

This isn't classed as an exception course so it would be the previous study calculation. Which if you've studied two years prior would be (depending on how long your course is) the 2nd and 3rd year fully funded or the 2nd-4th fully funded. For year 1 you'd only be eligible for the fees if you have the CPR evidence and it's accepted. But you'd still be eligible for the maintenance loan. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending