The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by youbonkers
Currently deciding between durham and southampton.

Got offers from durham/southampton/bath/warwick and a rejection from imperial :smile:

I don't know where to go! Going for a visit day to durham on monday so guess I'll have to make my mind up after that D;

which college are you at? I'm doing physics at durham and I'm going to hatfield on Monday :smile:
Original post by Kristina_Lucy
which college are you at? I'm doing physics at durham and I'm going to hatfield on Monday :smile:

Hild Bede, haven't managed to find anyone staying at that one yet :frown:

I'm going on the monday-tuesday open day too! Will most likely see you around the phys department :smile:
Reply 1662
Original post by Jukeboxing
Sorry to interrupt, but did the offer come through UCAS? Its just that im waiting to hear back from them after my interview which was more than a month ago.

I had an interview absolutely ages ago (last year sometime, one of the first) so I wouldn't worry. I didn't get a letter or anything, just my track changed.

Did you not get the email talking about them considering you but leaving to tell everyone after all the interviews?
Reply 1663
UCL offer came through finally!, all decisions are in.
Im now stuck between choosing UCL and Warwick, can anyone give any input?

What did you think about UCL when you visited? well, if you visited :]
Reply 1664
Original post by alcimedes
I didn't apply to birm as I picked the 5 best ones that were nearest home ( stupid method but all those in "top 10" looked good so I went by distance!). Birm has good reputation tho I'm leaning towards Manchester myself-it has great international and national rep due to all its researchers ( did they mention the Nobel prize winners to u?!). seems to have a lot of money too. Think I'll go in the forums for each uni and ask some current students why they chose each uni. I'm equally confused. off to Sheffield on Thursday as that might be my back-up.

Ahh, well I know I want to be in a huge city, but manchester is fairly close which puts me off, despite it being kinda familiar and knowing lots of people going.

This is why im confused about their place in respect to UCL, since they have recently got the nobel prize, have incredible links with cern and lots of research but UCL still seems to have a bigger reputation.
When I went to UCL, all they could brag were that they were building the largest geiger counter ever and one of the largest telescope lenses.....kinda weird haha XD
On the train back from a Warwick visit day, really liked the department and uni, which means it's even harder for me to choose my firm now! :confused::redface:
Reply 1666
My Liverpool interview was successful so I got an offer from them.
I've had an offer from Birmingham too now so that's all 5 :smile:
Offer from Durham! :biggrin:
Original post by youbonkers
Hild Bede, haven't managed to find anyone staying at that one yet :frown:

I'm going on the monday-tuesday open day too! Will most likely see you around the phys department :smile:

cool - I'm still trying to find a physicist at hatfield!! and yes we will probably see each other! We'll have to say hello :P
Original post by Samdude
What did you think about UCL when you visited? well, if you visited :]

Im in UCL once a week to do further maths, it is a nice place but my tour of the physics department was very limited, we wern't allowed to see most of the things.
(edited 12 years ago)
I got an offer from UCL today, I was always going to put Bristol as my insurance as they gave me ABB and Edinburgh as my firm for AAA, but I'm unsure whether to put Bristol or UCL down as my insurance.
Reply 1671
Original post by Kristina_Lucy
cool - I'm still trying to find a physicist at hatfield!! and yes we will probably see each other! We'll have to say hello :P

I'm firming physics with astrophysics at Hertfordshire. I attended the open day 29th feb.
Hmmmm I'm not really sure whether to put Manchester as my firm or not. Basically I'm very much on track to get AAA however the offer is A*AA. Its POSSIBLE that I could get an A* but unlikely :/ What should I do people?!?!
Original post by emilyrickman
Hmmmm I'm not really sure whether to put Manchester as my firm or not. Basically I'm very much on track to get AAA however the offer is A*AA. Its POSSIBLE that I could get an A* but unlikely :/ What should I do people?!?!

I was in a similar situation, my January grades put me at a solid AA in maths and chemistry (didn't take any physics). I was hoping for 90+ in maths (c3) but I didn't get that.
I decided to put down Manchester for my firm and work harder in maths (retaking C3) and aim for an A*.
My insurance is Sheffield, which is AAB, and i'd be perfectly happy to go there if I didn't make the A* for Manchester
Original post by MinpoloD
I was in a similar situation, my January grades put me at a solid AA in maths and chemistry (didn't take any physics). I was hoping for 90+ in maths (c3) but I didn't get that.
I decided to put down Manchester for my firm and work harder in maths (retaking C3) and aim for an A*.
My insurance is Sheffield, which is AAB, and i'd be perfectly happy to go there if I didn't make the A* for Manchester

that's exactly the same as me!! oh wow... I'm also putting Sheffield as my insurance but would be perfectly happy there :biggrin:
Really need to go to a Manchester open day :colondollar:
Manchester is so amazing, absolutely in love with it!
Reply 1677
Im in UCL once a week to do further maths, it is a nice place but my tour of the physics department was very limited, we wern't allowed to see most of the things.

Ahh I see, what are the students and vibes like there? Its cool that you get to take lessons there though :]

(just as im typing this, UCL came on horizon haha)
Original post by Samdude
Ahh I see, what are the students and vibes like there? Its cool that you get to take lessons there though :]

(just as im typing this, UCL came on horizon haha)

I'm not too sure what the physics students are like, I didnt get the chance to talk to undergrads. But I'm always reading on here about how great the social life is at UCL. All i know is that the economics students are quite enthusiastic, since im usually around them.

Have you visited the place yet?

I havent watched Horizon for a while now, last one was by Jim Al-khalili about the higgs boson search. I'm waiting for the other one on particle physics, not sure when its airing though.
Reply 1679
I'm not too sure what the physics students are like, I didnt get the chance to talk to undergrads. But I'm always reading on here about how great the social life is at UCL. All i know is that the economics students are quite enthusiastic, since im usually around them.

Have you visited the place yet?

I havent watched Horizon for a while now, last one was by Jim Al-khalili about the higgs boson search. I'm waiting for the other one on particle physics, not sure when its airing though.

Well this was about subconsciousness and it's dominance, which is quite off-topic. I seem to find the physics ones quite vague really :/

But yeah, i've been down, but the tour guide was terrible so we didn't meet many students. The day was also really badly organised, however the tutors I did meet seemed alright. After cut-short open day, I wasn't told what to do, whether I could look round, so I just sat in the quad for a short while. Didn't really get a good impression :frown: Think I might go down again, might have been a one-off or something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending