The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

So I really need some advice on whether to pick Imperial or Durham as my firm because I'm torn between the two.

I really liked Durham and the collegiate system because it would probably be easier to make more friends this way.

I always read though that Imperial is one of the best for science/engineering and is often compared with Oxford for Physics, and I'd generally be better off with regards to job prospects due to the city, contacts, etc. Although the downsides are the cost and the gender ratio. There are also some complaints about the social life at Imperial but I'm not sure if I'd just be picking Durham for the social life.

Any advice is appreciated :confused::s-smilie:
Reply 1781
Original post by Plutonium
I don't really like Nottingham. Although it could be down to the fact I have lived near it all my life. So, if you have any general questions, then feel free to ask (same for any other Nottingham applicants) . I promise to be truthful :smile:

Cheers :smile: whats the night life like in nottingham? And is it generally a nice place to live (good transport, shopping, entertainment etc?)
Reply 1782
Original post by Lucster
Yeah I want to do physics and theoretical astrophysics at Nottingham.

But I feel like everyone needs to get AA in Physics and Maths, I mean that isn't easy? I mean do people feel the same like me that its not guaranteed and if you get AB you might not get in?

I mean MEI Maths is a bitch. Not my fault if I don't get an A. Where past papers easy compared to real exam :/

Touch wood unis would let us in one grade short. :smile: Anyone agree?

Thats the course ill be starting in september :biggrin: Hopefully ill see you there :smile:
Original post by vedderfan94
So I really need some advice on whether to pick Imperial or Durham as my firm because I'm torn between the two.

I really liked Durham and the collegiate system because it would probably be easier to make more friends this way.

I always read though that Imperial is one of the best for science/engineering and is often compared with Oxford for Physics, and I'd generally be better off with regards to job prospects due to the city, contacts, etc. Although the downsides are the cost and the gender ratio. There are also some complaints about the social life at Imperial but I'm not sure if I'd just be picking Durham for the social life.

Any advice is appreciated :confused::s-smilie:

I've just firmed physics at Durham. I went for Durham because everyone I have spoken to have said that Durham is the best after Oxford (I got rejected after my interviews!). It also has international centres for particle physics and cosmology, which I was very impressed with!
I loved the college system as well - I got pooled and ended up with hatfield and the atmosphere is so much nicer than the campus unis I've looked around! Its also going to be cheaper to live there than London!

Hope that helps a little bit!
Reply 1784
Original post by 05sykesd
Cheers :smile: whats the night life like in nottingham? And is it generally a nice place to live (good transport, shopping, entertainment etc?)

Night life is excellent in Nottingham, rest assured, one of the best in the country apparantly. Nottingham has the most shops/restaurants per square km too in the UK. :smile:
Reply 1785
Original post by Lucster
Night life is excellent in Nottingham, rest assured, one of the best in the country apparantly. Nottingham has the most shops/restaurants per square km too in the UK. :smile:

Cheers :biggrin: I really cant wait to go!! :smile:

The night life?
Well, I love it to be honest. My favourite place for cheap drinks is baa bar! It's like £1 shots and £2 bombs. The have about 60 different shots?
Then if you fancy somewhere a bit gothic there is pit and pendulum! They have the 7 deadly sins as cocktails at about 2 for £6.50, they're lush. Plus the toilets are behind a bookcase.
Then the two places you need to enter at about half past 11 (for cheaper entry) are either rock city or the forum. The drinks are more expensive (so you end your night there) but the atmosphere is ace.

Transport is great. There are two main bus companies NCT and trent barton. NCT has a fixed fare of £1.70, but you can buy a travel card to reduce the costs. Trent barton have mango cards to reduce costs. Trent barton is usually more expensive, but they go further out in nottingham. Taxis are pretty safe. I tend to prefer ringing up and ordering one opposed to just jumping in to one. It's cheaper and safer.

The shopping is alright. It's not brilliant, but if you want better shopping then you can get a bus to derby where they have a massive shopping centre. It's so much better than shopping in nottingham :smile:

Entertainment wise, there are several good music venues (rock city, bodega club, rescue rooms and capital fm arena), a nice cinema (cornerhouse) and there are loads of places to eat (nandos, pizza hut, wagamama etc.).

I think my dislike for the city comes from boredom mainly. It's actually quite a nice place. I usually feel quite safe when i'm there in the day and at night.

I think i've answered your questions :smile: any more? haha
Reply 1787
Original post by Plutonium
The night life?
Well, I love it to be honest. My favourite place for cheap drinks is baa bar! It's like £1 shots and £2 bombs. The have about 60 different shots?
Then if you fancy somewhere a bit gothic there is pit and pendulum! They have the 7 deadly sins as cocktails at about 2 for £6.50, they're lush. Plus the toilets are behind a bookcase.
Then the two places you need to enter at about half past 11 (for cheaper entry) are either rock city or the forum. The drinks are more expensive (so you end your night there) but the atmosphere is ace.

Transport is great. There are two main bus companies NCT and trent barton. NCT has a fixed fare of £1.70, but you can buy a travel card to reduce the costs. Trent barton have mango cards to reduce costs. Trent barton is usually more expensive, but they go further out in nottingham. Taxis are pretty safe. I tend to prefer ringing up and ordering one opposed to just jumping in to one. It's cheaper and safer.

The shopping is alright. It's not brilliant, but if you want better shopping then you can get a bus to derby where they have a massive shopping centre. It's so much better than shopping in nottingham :smile:

Entertainment wise, there are several good music venues (rock city, bodega club, rescue rooms and capital fm arena), a nice cinema (cornerhouse) and there are loads of places to eat (nandos, pizza hut, wagamama etc.).

I think my dislike for the city comes from boredom mainly. It's actually quite a nice place. I usually feel quite safe when i'm there in the day and at night.

I think i've answered your questions :smile: any more? haha

Thank you so much :biggrin: ill be sure to check out these places as a matter of urgency lol I think thats all i wanted to know thanks :smile:
Firmed Herts & insured Hull, get me there now! :biggrin:
Thank you so much :biggrin: ill be sure to check out these places as a matter of urgency lol I think thats all i wanted to know thanks :smile:

You should! Also, add the bluebell on to there too. With a student card it's £1 for a yagerbomb. Night = made.
No worries :smile:
Alright so decided (more or less) on firming Durham over Manchester, but can anyone offer any advice on Bristol or Birmingham for an insurance?
Reply 1791
Firmed Mathematical Physics at Heriot Watt. Don't suppose there is anyone on here who is going there?
Just firmed Manchester, with UCL as insurance :smile:
Hmmm, anyone got any thoughts of Birmingham Vs Bristol for insurance (Durham firm)?

Bristol seems better respected overall, and (some of) its halls had a communal college atmosphere which was a big draw for Durham- I like the social aspect. It's also a really nice city, however, I heard it's a very polarised city in that half is really nice, half isn't so much.

Birmingham seems generally higher up for physics, especially research. From what little I saw, I preferred it to Bristol as I loved the idea of a nice looking, chilled campus a quick train ride to a huge city. But I don't really know what the city is like.

One consideration is that as my insurance, neither place would guarantee accommodation. I get the impression Bristol is rather tight for this, as even for firmers, if you live in Bristol itself, it wont give you any even in the first year. So I might have a better chance getting Halls at B'ham.
Original post by bistonut
Hmmm, anyone got any thoughts of Birmingham Vs Bristol for insurance (Durham firm)?

Bristol seems better respected overall, and (some of) its halls had a communal college atmosphere which was a big draw for Durham- I like the social aspect. It's also a really nice city, however, I heard it's a very polarised city in that half is really nice, half isn't so much.

Birmingham seems generally higher up for physics, especially research. From what little I saw, I preferred it to Bristol as I loved the idea of a nice looking, chilled campus a quick train ride to a huge city. But I don't really know what the city is like.

One consideration is that as my insurance, neither place would guarantee accommodation. I get the impression Bristol is rather tight for this, as even for firmers, if you live in Bristol itself, it wont give you any even in the first year. So I might have a better chance getting Halls at B'ham.

Hmm depends how confident you are in meeting your Durham offer really. Both have great reputations for Physics (Birmingham is higher for Physics but Bristol is higher overall) so it's mainly about where you'd want to live. Another visit to Birmingham might be better so you have a more informed view and so you can have a proper visit to the city aswell.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what made you choose Durham over Manchester? I'm in a similar dilemma between Durham and Imperial as my firm (in that both Manchester and Imperial have more highly respected departments, although Durham is still excellent for Physics) but I did very much like the collegiate system of Durham. Decisions, decisions, decisions...
I just firmed Nottingham and insured Southampton!!! So exciting ^_^
I'm gonna firm Imperial for physics!! But I can't make up my mind for insurance.. I kind of have decided to put Edinburgh as my insurance. What do you think?? advice, anyone?? I have Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Durham and Edinburgh =D
Original post by 3uNic3
I'm gonna firm Imperial for physics!! But I can't make up my mind for insurance.. I kind of have decided to put Edinburgh as my insurance. What do you think?? advice, anyone?? I have Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Durham and Edinburgh =D

If you are confident that you'll get an A* in Maths or Physics, definitely choose Durham as your insurance. I haven't decided which uni I'm going to firm yet but if I choose Imperial I'm going to choose Durham as my insurance.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what made you choose Durham over Manchester? I'm in a similar dilemma between Durham and Imperial as my firm (in that both Manchester and Imperial have more highly respected departments, although Durham is still excellent for Physics) but I did very much like the collegiate system of Durham. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

One big factor for me was that I am from Manchester, and would like to get away. I was talking to friends that go to Durham, and they were saying how they still spend half their time, if not more in manc.

However, I'd choose Durham over Imperial, just because it's a much nicer place to live/work in. You'll make more friends and have a better time I rate, and this is important, as despite the tiny differences in how good each place is, it's more down to the grade, even the mark you get from the degree, (although some places might make a grade seem even more impressive (a low 1st from Manchester is probably rated as a high/med 2:1 from oxford)). You're more likely to work harder if you're enjoying the place (although not going out too much of course!)
If you are confident that you'll get an A* in Maths or Physics, definitely choose Durham as your insurance. I haven't decided which uni I'm going to firm yet but if I choose Imperial I'm going to choose Durham as my insurance.

I have an A* for Maths already. All I need is two As. I was going to put Durham, but Durham has the same offer grades as Imperial. I know I can get an A in physics and another A in another subject at least and that's all I need, but you never know what can happen in future, I just thought, just in case I slipped.... at least I won't end up not going anywhere. (because I didn't do too well in my practicals, I need to get a lot of marks from my two modules in summer, that's why)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending