The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Catherine.
Me too! :smile: I'm actually going to consider what university I want to go to now! Aargh!

Well done! Where are you thinking of going to?
Well done guys and gals. Got a C in German. Considering I nearly had a panic attack before my speaking and HATED the written paper, don't think I did too badly. Hope to god I get predicted & then get a B overall for A level... Think I'm resitting the written paper in Jan.
Original post by thisisaweirdbus
Thanks for the advice. :smile: I'm guessing you study German at Sheffield then?

No no not yet!! Haha I just went to an open day!! :biggrin:
Original post by .snowflake.
Well done guys and gals. Got a C in German. Considering I nearly had a panic attack before my speaking and HATED the written paper, don't think I did too badly. Hope to god I get predicted & then get a B overall for A level... Think I'm resitting the written paper in Jan.

I got a C too... (well you already know!) and will probably retake in jan, but might rethink doing it at uni now.... :/ I hope if I do retake the paper is much nicer!!! :smile:

Original post by Catherine.
Me too! :smile: I'm actually going to consider what university I want to go to now! Aargh!

Ooh same!! What do you want to do? I think im going to reconsider my options...

Original post by Ivanka
Congratulations for your results :smile: I have luckily made it to my Firm, so come September, I'll be a UCL fresher :smile:

Congratulations!! :biggrin: What're you going to do?

Original post by thisisaweirdbus

And I've been trying to teach myself the alphabet, mainly by watching Russian Sesame Street on Youtube. :P

I love seasame street!!!!!! Whats it like in russian???

Original post by Lewis :D
How did it go everyone? I had As in French and Spanish! :biggrin:

I got a C in german..... what did you get? :smile:
Reply 584
Original post by BeccaCath94
Congratulations!! :biggrin: What're you going to do?

Thanks. Language and Culture, hopefully Spanish, Arabic, and linguistics. I was very nervous in the morning, I had been convinced to open Track at 9 a.m. in here, but someone on TSR posted a direct link to Track, so I checked it at 7 and found out the truth :biggrin: It was very hectic then, the Track fell down and it was available at the midday only - to calm myslef down, I phoned UCL and they confirmed my believes, so I needn't scare anymore :smile:
Original post by Ivanka
Thanks. Language and Culture, hopefully Spanish, Arabic, and linguistics. I was very nervous in the morning, I had been convinced to open Track at 9 a.m. in here, but someone on TSR posted a direct link to Track, so I checked it at 7 and found out the truth :biggrin: It was very hectic then, the Track fell down and it was available at the midday only - to calm myslef down, I phoned UCL and they confirmed my believes, so I needn't scare anymore :smile:

Awwww well well done, that sounds amazing, and I hope you enjoy it/do well :biggrin:
What did you do for A level?
:biggrin:
Reply 586
Original post by BeccaCath94
Awwww well well done, that sounds amazing, and I hope you enjoy it/do well :biggrin:
What did you do for A level?
:biggrin:

I didn't do A-levels, I did Maturita, which is a Czech equivalent :smile: My exams were in Czech, English, Spanish, Philosophy, and Maths.
Original post by Ivanka
I didn't do A-levels, I did Maturita, which is a Czech equivalent :smile: My exams were in Czech, English, Spanish, Philosophy, and Maths.

Oh i see! Thats pretty cool :biggrin:
Reply 589
Original post by Ivanka

Well done! I must say I've been to the Czech Republic and I love it there! Where are you from? :smile:

I'm sure our skills will be more in demand then! :biggrin:

I'm sure our skills will be more in demand then! :biggrin:

At taster days we've had talks from people from the EU and GCHQ practically begging for people with languages. We'll be the ones getting jobs! :biggrin:

Eee!~
I've just realised... assuming my predicted grades are one grade above today's.. I can apply for all the ones I want! x3 This makes me stupidly happy.
Reply 591
Original post by VickyDoodle
At taster days we've had talks from people from the EU and GCHQ practically begging for people with languages. We'll be the ones getting jobs! :biggrin:

Eee!~
I've just realised... assuming my predicted grades are one grade above today's.. I can apply for all the ones I want! x3 This makes me stupidly happy.

Did they specify which languages? :biggrin:
Reply 592
Well done! I must say I've been to the Czech Republic and I love it there! Where are you from? :smile:

I live in central Bohemia, 16 km from Prague, but it's a very boring place! Which places have you visited? I love Prague but seeing it for two years from a student's perspective (I studied there) made me dislike all those tourists occupying CHarles Bridge and the city centre - it took me ages to get to librabry because of the crowds! Haha :biggrin:
Did they specify which languages? :biggrin:

Pretty much any two languages- the GCHQ specified stuff like Mandarin,Somali and Urdu but they said as their priorities change so quickly they'd be out of date by the time we finished our degrees. They said any two languages are fine, and if there's any one they REALLY need they'll teach you it anyway (and pay you to learn it!) :colondollar:

The EU people said that a stupidly high amount of their English interpreters (over 50%) will have retired by the time we're on the job market, so they really need anyone born in the UK.~
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 594
Pretty much any two languages- the GCHQ specified stuff like Mandarin,Somali and Urdu but they said as their priorities change so quickly they'd be out of date by the time we finished our degrees. They said any two languages are fine, and if there's any one they REALLY need they'll teach you it anyway (and pay you to learn it!) :colondollar:

The EU people said that a stupidly high amount of their English interpreters (over 50%) will have retired by the time we're on the job market, so they really need anyone born in the UK.~

That's amazing! I think I definitely know what I wanna do. The GCHQ looks like a really intriguing and secretive place to work at haha. The EU is less appetising, but certainly still a possibility. What do you wanna do with your degree? :biggrin:

Original post by Ivanka
I live in central Bohemia, 16 km from Prague, but it's a very boring place! Which places have you visited? I love Prague but seeing it for two years from a student's perspective (I studied there) made me dislike all those tourists occupying CHarles Bridge and the city centre - it took me ages to get to librabry because of the crowds! Haha :biggrin:

I visited Prague liked 5 years ago. It's definitely one of the best places I've ever visited. The people are really nice and polite too, apart from one guy who was completely drunk screaming at Police in the Old Town outside the Castle :biggrin:
That's amazing! I think I definitely know what I wanna do. The GCHQ looks like a really intriguing and secretive place to work at haha. The EU is less appetising, but certainly still a possibility. What do you wanna do with your degree? :biggrin:

The GCHQ does look really,really cool. :P I'm not quite sure yet,honestly! I'd love to live and work in either Spain or Japan, but the dream (big,impossible one at that) is to run my own international company importing fashions between the countries, and making costumes. :smile: People in Japan go nuts for English stuff, Spanish stuff is stylish in the UK, and (some) people in the UK like Japanese fashion!Though looking at it, J-fashion subtly influences UK fashion imo. ~

What about you? ^^
Reply 596
The GCHQ does look really,really cool. :P I'm not quite sure yet,honestly! I'd love to live and work in either Spain or Japan, but the dream (big,impossible one at that) is to run my own international company importing fashions between the countries, and making costumes. :smile: People in Japan go nuts for English stuff, Spanish stuff is stylish in the UK, and (some) people in the UK like Japanese fashion!Though looking at it, J-fashion subtly influences UK fashion imo. ~

What about you? ^^

Perhaps Embassy work, I'm not really sure :P
got a B in OCR German (158/200)...I'm pretty content but the fact that I got 109/140 in LRW and 49/60 in speaking means that i was 2 UMS from an A...quite annoying but overall quite happy
Hello! :wizard2:

I'm a little late on this thread it seems but I think I should introduce myself. I'm Bee, I'm 19 and reapplying for BA French for 2012 entry. I'm probably the oldest one here haha. Curse you unplanned gap year! Got my results today too: A in French, B in English and Spanish and a C in History which I'm retaking hopefully to notch it up to a B.

Currently trying to learn Norwegian and failing. :biggrin:
Original post by Strüberry
Hello! :wizard2:

I'm a little late on this thread it seems but I think I should introduce myself. I'm Bee, I'm 19 and reapplying for BA French for 2012 entry. I'm probably the oldest one here haha. Curse you unplanned gap year! Got my results today too: A in French, B in English and Spanish and a C in History which I'm retaking hopefully to notch it up to a B.

Currently trying to learn Norwegian and failing. :biggrin:

Hey,

I'm applying for French too! Which unis have you got in mind at the moment? Well done on your results too - you did awesome!

Also, yay for Scandinavian languages! I've been trying to teach myself Swedish over the Summer. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending