The Student Room Group

Learn Italian language: La società italiana de TSR

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by rottcoddII
Mi dispiace ma ho un'altra domanda regarda imperfetto vs passato prossimo.

I get that imperfetto is used for actions that continually happened for an indefinite time in the past, and habitual actions. Passato promiso is for actions that have some relation to the present, or occurred at a definite period of time.

Mentre guidavano la macchina, hanno ucciso un gatto.

"While they were driving the car, they killed a chicken"

Is is correct to use uccidere in the passato prosimo here? The above is how I wrote it, but then I guess I still haven't specified when they killed the chicken, and it doesn't have any relation to the present. Should the whole sentence be in the imperfect? But then the killing of the cat isn't really a continuous action, it's something that was completed.... think I'm making it more complicated than it is. Any help?

Yeah, you're definitely over-complicating it. Guidavano is in the imperfect because they were driving - it'd only be in the passato prossimo if they had driven somewhere - and it's hanno ucciso because they have killed the chicken. If you said "Mentre guidavano la macchina, uccidevano dei gatti", it'd be "They used to kill cats while they were driving the car", which is different. Also gatto = cat, not chicken. :p:
Original post by jeh_jeh
Yeah, you're definitely over-complicating it. Guidavano is in the imperfect because they were driving - it'd only be in the passato prossimo if they had driven somewhere - and it's hanno ucciso because they have killed the chicken. If you said "Mentre guidavano la macchina, uccidevano dei gatti", it'd be "They used to kill cats while they were driving the car", which is different. Also gatto = cat, not chicken. :p:

Wonderful, thank you! hahaha, I offer no defence on the cat/chicken think. I have no idea how that happened - come si dice in Italiano: "brain-befuzzlement"!
...anyone know of any good websites that clearly explain all the different uses of "ci"?

"Ci" is killing my saturday.
Reply 1983
What sort of a crazy rule is this!?

Caro cliente,

Sembra ormai certo che dal settembre entrerà in vigore una legge sul prezzo dei libri in lingua italiana il cui articolo principale recita: consentita la vendita dei libri ai consumatori finali, da chiunque e con qualsiasi modalità effettuata, compresa la vendita per corrispondenza anche nel caso in cui abbia luogo mediante attività di commercio elettronico, con uno sconto fino ad una percentuale massima del 15 per cento sul prezzo fissato".
Reply 1984
...anyone know of any good websites that clearly explain all the different uses of "ci"?

"Ci" is killing my saturday.

Ci has a number of uses:

a) As a personal pronoun: i) Ci ha detto che è difficile; ii) Ci sposiamo domani.

b) As an indicator of place, and to avoid repetition: i) C'è/ci sono (there is/there are); ii) "Vorresti andare alla gelateria stasera?" "Vorrei andarci, ma sono già impegnata."

c) As an informal indicator of possession: i) "Hai una sigaretta?" "Sì, ce l'ho." (Ci is modified to ce because of the object pronoun)

d) In the place of 'con' or 'a': i) Uscire con qualcuno: "Quando esci con Giulietta?" "Ci esco domani." ii) Credere a: "Non ci credo!" (I don't believe it!) iii) Provare a: "Ci ho provato, ma..."

It can also be used to mean, "It takes 2 hours." "Ci vuole due ore."

I'll edit if I think of any other major uses!
Reply 1985
Original post by DFonz
Is that from Amazon?

Yes, it's a new law that has just been passed, that limits the discount on books...so from now on the maximum discount you'll ever get when buying a book is 15% off normal price.

And the beauty of it is that *no one* realized that this was underway... apparently it's part of a series of measures thought to face the crisis..idiots.

saddest thing I've ever seen :frown:

Yeah it's on amazon, so I've just bought a stockpile from them so I can get the lower prices before September.

But, I think, it may still be cheaper even after September because they should still be cheaper than buying them from bookshops in London. My 1984 is 9,50€ on the cover so even paying that is less than the £12 (or near enough) that I payed for it in Foyles.

It just seems a silly rule. I'm guessing there isn't VAT on books in Italy like here (since my receipt says IVA 0.00) so I can't even see how the country benefits. All it seems to do is offer a small amount of protection to bookshops (and maybe publishers), but even then, if all the prices are the same, they've got to compete with other things.
Original post by PJ991
It just seems a silly rule. I'm guessing there isn't VAT on books in Italy like here (since my receipt says IVA 0.00) so I can't even see how the country benefits. All it seems to do is offer a small amount of protection to bookshops (and maybe publishers), but even then, if all the prices are the same, they've got to compete with other things.

Nope, there isn't VAT on books in Italy - it's one of the only things you don't need to get a scontrino for by law.

All it does imo, really, is reduce competition in the publishing marketplace in a sense, as they don't have to worry about a competitor massively underpricing compared to them.

[Haven't posted on here in AGES, need to get back to writing in Italian.......oops!]
Reply 1987
Sono tornata da Thailandia ieri, e vado a Milano il 13 settembre. Oddio, ho paura! Non sono pronta! Ho forse trovato una stanza libera, ma non sono contenta di prenderla prima che l'ho visto "in person". Ma questa e' la sola stanza che mi piace...

Siete tutti bene qui, ragazzi? :smile:
Original post by jeh_jeh
Ci has a number of uses:

a) As a personal pronoun: i) Ci ha detto che è difficile; ii) Ci sposiamo domani.

b) As an indicator of place, and to avoid repetition: i) C'è/ci sono (there is/there are); ii) "Vorresti andare alla gelateria stasera?" "Vorrei andarci, ma sono già impegnata."

c) As an informal indicator of possession: i) "Hai una sigaretta?" "Sì, ce l'ho." (Ci is modified to ce because of the object pronoun)

d) In the place of 'con' or 'a': i) Uscire con qualcuno: "Quando esci con Giulietta?" "Ci esco domani." ii) Credere a: "Non ci credo!" (I don't believe it!) iii) Provare a: "Ci ho provato, ma..."

It can also be used to mean, "It takes 2 hours." "Ci vuole due ore."

I'll edit if I think of any other major uses!

mi dispiace per il ritardo risposta, ma grazie a mille :smile:
Reply 1989
Spero che quest'annuncio sia un scherzo :s
Bah... Storia di un poveraccio sfigato che cerca disperatamente una compagna. Pensa alla tristezza che deve essere la sua vita per arrivare a pubblicare un annuncio cosi.
Reply 1991
Original post by Lizia
Spero che quest'annuncio sia un scherzo :s

Lo spero anch'io!!:eek:
Reply 1992
Che fortuna che io non sia italiana- nessun possibilità che sarò tentata di rispondere :lol:
Buonasera! :biggrin:
Benvenuto!
ciao a tutti :smile: le persone che abitano in italia o hanno visitato Italia - avete mangiato crescentine fritte con prosciutto o formaggio (squaquerone?) Alcuni giorni fa, l'ho mangiato per la prima volte e adesso voglio mangiarlo ognio giorno! è il miglior cibo che ho mangiato qui ancora!
Lo squacquerone è un milky cream cheese from the Emilia Romagna region. Nel Lazio non si trova e quindi mi accontento della ricotta romana o del mascarpone (sì con la ciliegia!!!)
ah, non spaevo che non si puo mangia squacquerone in altre regione (abito a bologna). Se abitassi in un altre reigion, penso che lo mangerei tutti i giorni; mi piace molto.

(anyone, please feel free to correct my Italian. I think the above is a bit dodge).
Reply 1998
ah, non spaevo che non si puo mangia squacquerone in altre regione (abito a bologna). Se abitassi in un altre reigion, penso che lo mangerei tutti i giorni; mi piace molto.

(anyone, please feel free to correct my Italian. I think the above is a bit dodge).

Siamo vicinissimi - sono a Cervia. Squacquerone. :love:
Original post by jeh_jeh
Siamo vicinissimi - sono a Cervia. Squacquerone. :love:

ooh, abiti a Cervia? perche? sei uno studente? dovresti venire a Bologna e possiamo mangiare un sacco di squaquerone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending