The Student Room Group

Spanish listening gcse

Hi, does anyone know of any good online resources where I can practice my listening skills for gcse?
Reply 1
have u tried doing the past papers on the exam board website?
Hi,

You know Duolingo, the Languages learning app? Well they also do podcasts telling real stories in French and Spanish. They're bilingual with the storyteller speaking in an intermediate level of the language, and the host coming in for context in English. They're free to download from wherever you get your podcasts from, and they're of an intermediate level. Just search for Duolingo Podcasts and you should find them.

I also use The News in Slow Spanish, where they cover news and current affairs. There's no English spoken at all in this series (apart from specific English names /titles) but if you're familiar with the subject matter, you should be able to follow the story or get the gist of it quite easily. There's a free version that's only about 5 mins long, or there's a premium version that lasts about 20-30 mins.

In the meantime, you can always take a quick lesson from Gwyneth Paltrow :tongue:

(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ame44
have u tried doing the past papers on the exam board website?

No I haven't I'll have a look. Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Hi,

You know Duolingo, the Languages learning app? Well they also do podcasts telling real stories in French and Spanish. They're bilingual with the storyteller speaking in an intermediate level of the language, and the host coming in for context in English. They're free to download from wherever you get your podcasts from, and they're of an intermediate level. Just search for Duolingo Podcasts and you should find them.

I also use The News in Slow Spanish, where they cover news and current affairs. There's no English spoken at all in this series (apart from specific English names /titles) but if you're familiar with the subject matter, you should be able to follow the story or get the gist of it quite easily. There's a free version that's only about 5 mins long, or there's a premium version that lasts about 20-30 mins.

In the meantime, you can always take a quick lesson from Gwyneth Paltrow :tongue:

Yes I have listened to the duolingo podcast a few times but I'll give them a go again
Original post by Lucy_Alice_1
Yes I have listened to the duolingo podcast a few times but I'll give them a go again

Well there's over 100 of them (if you check out the full list); I would also check out the News in Slow Spanish podcasts as well. They do two versions:- One for European Spanish, and another for Latino (South American) Spanish.
Wow I didn’t know Gwyneth Paltrow’s Spanish was so good! But it isn’t perfect like the video suggests, there are a few errors she makes regarding the subjunctive, correct verb tense and making an adjective agree with the noun. But it’s certainly very good for practising listening to someone who’s speaking much like a native in tone and also speed.

Spoiler

(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Wow I didn’t know Gwyneth Paltrow’s Spanish was so good! But it isn’t perfect like the video suggests, there are a few errors she makes regarding the subjunctive, correct verb tense and making an adjective agree with the noun. But it’s certainly very good for practising listening to someone who’s speaking much like a native in tone and also speed.

Spoiler

TBF, I think if / when you learn a new language from scratch, you're always going to be making the occasional mistake which will be obvious to a native speaker. The possible exception is if you live in the country where that language is spoken for years and you totally immerse yourself in that language. It's just good that they're a bit more patient than some French people are.

But that works both ways...I'm not sure if you've come across many native Spanish speakers who are learning English (or don't speak English that much), but you may notice that instead of saying "I don't have it" or "I'm not going", they may say "I no have it" or "I no going" (as you probably know, the vast majority of negative in Spanish is "no"

And thank you for taking the time to go through the interview... I'll have a detailed look when I've got 5 mins (maybe 15 :wink: )
Original post by Old Skool Freak
TBF, I think if / when you learn a new language from scratch, you're always going to be making the occasional mistake which will be obvious to a native speaker. The possible exception is if you live in the country where that language is spoken for years and you totally immerse yourself in that language. It's just good that they're a bit more patient than some French people are.

But that works both ways...I'm not sure if you've come across many native Spanish speakers who are learning English (or don't speak English that much), but you may notice that instead of saying "I don't have it" or "I'm not going", they may say "I no have it" or "I no going" (as you probably know, the vast majority of negative in Spanish is "no"

And thank you for taking the time to go through the interview... I'll have a detailed look when I've got 5 mins (maybe 15 :wink: )

That probably is true of most learners even though there will of course always be those language freaks who speak a non-native language flawlessly. One of my teachers was like this, an English woman who spoke both French and German like a complete native of both. Her accent and grammar were flawless in both languages, it was insane.

Well I do actually know quite a lot of native Spanish speakers who speak English and I can’t say I’ve ever heard that particular error but that might be more common in the beginning stages of learning the language whereas the speakers I know have been using English for a while. The more common errors I hear are getting prepositions wrong and sometimes them pronouncing things phonetically to the point they sound unrecognisable.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending