The Student Room Group

Spanish books

Does anyone have any recommendations on Spanish books for wider reading? Not too advanced.
Also does anyone have advice on what to do to enhance personal statement for a languages course?
Original post by arianagrenade
Does anyone have any recommendations on Spanish books for wider reading? Not too advanced.
Also does anyone have advice on what to do to enhance personal statement for a languages course?

Look at the reading list of Cambridge University:

BOOK A Sor Juana Anthology
Sister Juana Inés de la Cruz (trans. A. Trueblood)1988

View online

VIDEO También la lluvia
Director: Icíar Bollaín2010

View online

BOOK Romancero gitano
Federico Garcia Lorca (edited by Herbert Ramsden)2nd editionManchester University Press2007

View online

WEBSITE Un matrimonio del siglo XIX
Emilia Pardo Bazán

View online

WEBSITE El indulto
Emilia Pardo Bazán

View online

WEBSITE Las medias rojas
Emilia Pardo Bazán

View online

BOOK El encaje roto
Emilia Pardo BazánEditorial Contraseña2000
Available at Jesus College > Quincentenary Library : XPQ PAR 6EN Eir and more locations

View online

E-BOOK Short Stories in Spanish
John R. KingPenguin Parallel Texts
Note: Unabridged parallel texts in Spanish and English

View online

WEBSITE Centro Virtual Cervantes: Lecturas paso a paso (Nivel inicial)
Note: In the Centro Virtual Cervantes you will find short stories in Spanish with a glossary and activities to guide your reading

View online

BOOK Palabra por palabra
Phil Turk and Mike ThackerSixth editionHodder Education2018

View online

BOOK Oxford Spanish Wordpack
Valerie Grundy and Cristina LlompartOxford University Press2000
Reply 2
Original post by arianagrenade

i've read a lot of lorca after studying one of his plays in the a-level course, also short stories can be a good start, check out things like la biblioteca de babel. i'd also say reading in translation isn't a bad idea at all, especially if it's a book you know well then when reading it in spanish the sole focus is on language, making it a lot easier.
in terms of personal statement, spending time immersed in the language is key and showing how you've applied these skills within your life. i was lucky enough to spend 4 weeks at a language school and doing work experience abroad which enhanced my ps. but also just engaging with the cultures, reading in the language, watching the news and showing your passion.

Quick Reply

Latest