The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeorgieBoy
Got mine in a few days. Anyone care to perhaps compose a list of the unis that rate the ukcat highest at the top, and the unis that dont rate it as much at the bottom?

High

Barts (queen mary)
Kings
Sheffield
Queen's Belfast

Glasgow
Cardiff

Newcastle
Manchester
Dundee

Birmingham
Bristol
Liverpool
Leeds

Low
Reply 181
apparently barts have a different system this year? i dont really understand it but they said their cut off this year was 600 when i called
Reply 182
Original post by hello2411
apparently barts have a different system this year? i dont really understand it but they said their cut off this year was 600 when i called

Barts were known for ranking applicants via UKCAT score, but it appeared since 2011 entry, they've stopped doing that and do consider people with a low-ish UKCAT. They don't interview anyone with a UKCAT score of 600 or less, but it doesn't mean that if you get higher that you'll be guaranteed an interview.. Hope that helped you :smile:
Original post by xPixie
Barts were known for ranking applicants via UKCAT score, but it appeared since 2011 entry, they've stopped doing that and do consider people with a low-ish UKCAT. They don't interview anyone with a UKCAT score of 600 or less, but it doesn't mean that if you get higher that you'll be guaranteed an interview.. Hope that helped you :smile:

so do you know exactly what they are looking for htis time? gcses? personal statement?
Original post by bertstare
so do you know exactly what they are looking for htis time? gcses? personal statement?

Speak to admissions for a definitive answer. The people are really nice so I'm sure they wouldn't mind informing you of the interview selection criteria :smile:

FWIW the medicine criteria has changed this year too, but that does not mean that they are the same criteria :nah:
does anyone know sheffields UKCAT cutoff for last year? i know for medicine it was ridiculously high around 720, what about for dentistry?
Original post by bertstare
does anyone know sheffields UKCAT cutoff for last year? i know for medicine it was ridiculously high around 720, what about for dentistry?

I can't answer you I'm afraid but if noone replies with an answer then if you e-mail admissions and say that you are a prospective student and ask about last years cutoff I would imagine they'd be happy to assist :smile:
Original post by EveryLittleHelps.
High

Barts (queen mary)
Kings
Sheffield
Queen's Belfast

Glasgow
Cardiff

Newcastle
Manchester
Dundee

Birmingham
Bristol
Liverpool
Leeds

Low

Thanks.
Reply 188
Hi just spoke to admissions at Glasgow and hfor anyone applying to them last years ukcat cut off was 655. She did say however that they have introduced a new admission policy this year (last year you were scored as either meets essential criteria and then your ps etc was scored and you were ranked on your ukcat or you exceeded essential criteria and automatically were interviewed) but as so many people go in via the exceeds essential criteria lasy year they changed it to make it more fair and now as soon as you meet the entry requirements you are ranked by ukcat regardless of work exp/ post grad qualifications / ps etc and top 200ish are interviewed. She told me she wasn't sure what this years cut off would be until all applications were in though - not sure if this will help anyone but thought any info is helpful
Reply 189
Sorry for typos I'm on my mob!
Reply 190
Hiii! I got 9A*s and 1A at GCSE, 4 A's at AS, and a UKCAT score of 653. Do you think the UKCAT score is realistic for applying to Kings and Barts? My other two university options are likely to be Birmigham and between Bristol/Cardiff. What do you guys think?
i got 2570, so average of 643.5, i'm quite happy with that, would have loved to hit 2600, its an average score, but i'm happy.
Original post by SamHey789
i got 2570, so average of 643.5, i'm quite happy with that, would have loved to hit 2600, its an average score, but i'm happy.

which university's would you apply to with that ukcat score?? got mine next week lol
i really wanna go Sheffield!! have you any idea what the cut off point is/will be this year, thanks
Reply 193
Original post by undertaker1
which university's would you apply to with that ukcat score?? got mine next week lol
i really wanna go Sheffield!! have you any idea what the cut off point is/will be this year, thanks

640+ is good for Sheffield
Original post by snoooze
640+ is good for Sheffield

hey thanks because for medicine they ask for like 720+. if i get summit like 700 will that guarantee me a interview because my gcse grades are terrible for other uni's like liverpool etc
Reply 195
hey thanks because for medicine they ask for like 720+. if i get summit like 700 will that guarantee me a interview because my gcse grades are terrible for other uni's like liverpool etc

Sheffield like both high UKCAT and GCSE scores, they aren't too fussed with AS grades and place higher emphasis on A2 predictions. The medical and dental departments and admissions requirements are completely different, even based in different buildings. They may want 720+ for medicine, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same for dentistry.

From their website:

GCSE: Although we attempt to take an holistic approach to the selection of students most applicants who secure an interview have a minimum of 6 A grades including Maths, English Language and Science subjects.

Why do you desperately want to go to Sheffield?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by snoooze
Sheffield like both high UKCAT and GCSE scores, they aren't too fussed with AS grades and place higher emphasis on A2 predictions. The medical and dental departments and admissions requirements are completely different, even based in different buildings. They may want 720+ for medicine, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same for dentistry.

From their website:

GCSE: Although we attempt to take an holistic approach to the selection of students most applicants who secure an interview have a minimum of 6 A grades including Maths, English Language and Science subjects.

Why do you desperately want to go to Sheffield?

i got 5A and 6B. B's are in english and maths. AA in science.
predicted grades are A*AA. i haven't done my ukcat just yet.
reason i want to go Sheffield is because its my home town lol
Reply 197
i got 5A and 6B. B's are in english and maths. AA in science.
predicted grades are A*AA. i haven't done my ukcat just yet.
reason i want to go Sheffield is because its my home town lol

Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester are close too.
Original post by snoooze
Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester are close too.

hey if i get 700+ on my ukcat do you think i will be guaranteed an interview at sheffield???
hey if i get 700+ on my ukcat do you think i will be guaranteed an interview at sheffield???

no

Quick Reply

Latest