The Student Room Group

songs with sharp drumming

To give you an example of what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzs1FehYOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiuyahjYrAU

Any recommendations?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You mean tight drumming? Radiohead songs are pretty good for that, Phil Selway always does a great job.
Reply 2
Not really the same.
Reply 3
Aren't both example bands just going heavy on the snare?
Reply 4
Original post by Nut.
Aren't both example bands just going heavy on the snare?

A what?:s-smilie: I dont study music.
Reply 5
Bands with drums tuned more to the mid range or with their mids accentuated in the mix?

love the beat
Reply 7
Original post by y2k1

Drum kits have different kinds of drums on them (cymbols/ bass/ toms/ snares)
Both of those tracks you gave seem to be using the snare drum a lot, which can give a sharp, clear beat.

But as for finding more bands that do it, I don't know. Try the 'similar artists' option on last.fm? Google 'bands that like snare drums', something like that? :tongue:

The drumming in This Love by Maroon 5 is partly what made it really catchy for me, although probably not up your alley lol

I've flicked through my iTunesfor ya, check out:
Linkin Park- Session
Def Leppard- Let it Go
Dio- Stand up and Shout
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8

Not their best song, or album. But if that doesn't sound 'sharp' to you... The ****? ;p
Original post by concubine

Not their best song, or album. But if that doesn't sound 'sharp' to you... The ****? ;p

I need to listen to moar Decapitated. I've only got Winds Of Creation.
The Pot-Tool
Reply 12
Original post by y2k1

hitting the snare drum hard...

anyway, yeah man that deftones song is a classic.

I think you mean drumming on tight snares. Maybe Fightstar? (songs like Grand Unification, Tannhauser Gate) Korn? (Freak on a Leash for example) Slipknot? (Before I forget, psychosocial) I don't really know bands that ONLY use tight snares though...
(edited 12 years ago)

I was going (and I still will) to post this video. :smile: Check out his technique. So bloody efficient!
Reply 14
Anything by Strapping Young Lad- listen to, for example, Detox
Original post by mikeyd85

I was going (and I still will) to post this video. :smile: Check out his technique. So bloody efficient!

Aye. He's pretty ****ing good. He plays so much more fluidly than Vitek did, I checked out some videos of Vitek playing the same song and he looks so awkward some of the time. ;p

Original post by Drunk Punx
I need to listen to moar Decapitated. I've only got Winds Of Creation.

90% or more of my Decapitated listening is just WoC. ;p I think the latest one really is a big step down from everything they've done.
(edited 12 years ago)
Aye. He's pretty ****ing good. He plays so much more fluidly than Vitek did, I checked out some videos of Vitek playing the same song and he looks so awkward some of the time. ;p

90% or more of my Decapitated listening is just WoC. ;p I think the latest one really is a big step down from everything they've done.

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen a better drummer. You're right about Vitek though! He looked wild at times! I'm a big fan of the Negation tbh. The Fury is just an awesome track!
Original post by mikeyd85
I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen a better drummer. You're right about Vitek though! He looked wild at times! I'm a big fan of the Negation tbh. The Fury is just an awesome track!

After WoC The Negation is probably my favourite. I love the Napalm Death esque power rapid power chord riffs and ****. I always have my 6 string Ibanez in C# because... It's the best, but yeah. Playing along to the first four songs of The Negation is fun times.

Eh, I just went to do that and turns out I musta learned The Negation in my sleep or some ****.

dat riff at 3:10 ;oo

What I don't get with all the 'technical' metal bands out there these days that everyone loves is why they seem to have to be technical purely for the sake of it. Bands like Decapitated, Gorguts, Spawn of Possession; they're all pretty technical but they actually have good riffs, and groove, and the kinda **** that songs should have.
(edited 12 years ago)
After WoC The Negation is probably my favourite. I love the Napalm Death esque power rapid power chord riffs and ****. I always have my 6 string Ibanez in C# because... It's the best, but yeah. Playing along to the first four songs of The Negation is fun times.

Eh, I just went to do that and turns out I musta learned The Negation in my sleep or some ****.

dat riff at 3:10 ;oo

What I don't get with all the 'technical' metal bands out there these days that everyone loves is why they seem to have to be technical purely for the sake of it. Bands like Decapitated, Gorguts, Spawn of Possession; they're all pretty technical but they actually have good riffs, and groove, and the kinda **** that songs should have.

I hear ya dude. I can't do bands like Nile. Too much tech not enough balls. You should get yourself a 7 string - I picked one up the other day... :sexface:
Reply 19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_vuSse9sFY

Don't really know what you mean but this is my favourite drum heavy record. Pretty dark video as well. This song is sampled in untold amounts of hip hop tunes. A band of sisters behind the scenes of hip hop....

Quick Reply

Latest