The Student Room Group

Brand New

Hi all, im brand new to all this student finance stuff. Im 25 and the highest level i have ever studied at is level 2 (btec) i think? but after years of dead end jobs iv decided to go back to study and have just been given an unconditional place on a foundation degree course. :smile: This is all a strange new world to me, i know absolutly nothing about higher education, finance, terminology etc... Anyhoo my questions;

1. My household income is under 25k, iv left my job to study full time so unemployed aswell. Am i eligable for maximum support?

2. Am i allowed to get Adult Learning Grant of £30 every week aswell as getting a maintenance loan & grant?

3. If i am eligable for both maximum maintenance loan and grant how do i get them payed? in a single lump sum? or 2 lump sums split over 2 years? (its a 2 year course)

Reason i ask question 3 is obviously i have no clue how its payed but when i read alot of posts i couldnt find a definitive answer. Some say it gets payed monthly at about £250 a month. I hope not :frown: i think its a good idea for it to be split up throughout the course but £250 a month is terribly low and would force people to work part time whilst studying.

Thanks for taking time to read and hopefully replying :smile:
Reply 1
1.) If you are over 25 and single then you are entitled to Maximum support.

2.) No you can't get both.

3.) It gets paid in 3 instalments, once each term. You get funding separately for each year of your course, so you get another lot of funding in your second year which gets paid in 3 instalments that year. The Monthly thing only applies to those that live in Scotland.

You really need to get a move on and apply for student finance, the deadline to ensure you got your payments on time was 30th May. So you will now probably be paid later, but the sooner you apply the less late they will be.
Reply 2
thanks for your reply :smile:

I'v already applied, i applied on the 29th june (still late i know but only just found out i was accepted into the course)

I might be asking too much here but hey, dont ask dont get :smile: but if i get maximum support how much would each payment be? im trying to forsee the future so i can plan accordinly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending