Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey fellow Chemistry Applicants :biggrin:
I'm going to apply to:
Imperial
Birmingham
Southampton
Warwick
and then Keele is my backup

I was just wondering what you realistic think of my chances.
GCSEs - A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA
Additional Maths FSMQ - B
AS Levels - AABBC (dropped the C which was photography)
Predictions - AAAA
Plus, I have picked up AS Further Maths this year :smile:

I am also a:
- Maths Tutor
- Chemistry Tutor
- Chemistry Rep for my A2 year
I read New Scientist and Chemistry World. Finally, I have started to read 'Why Chemical Reactions Happen', :smile:

Sorry to bombard you guys with this information lol :smile: but just wanted a different person's perspective :smile: thanks xD

You'll probably be fine for most of those. Chemistry isn't the most competitive of subjects :tongue: long as you get across some interest through your PS I imagine you'll be fine. Imperial i'm not so sure about though, what is their typical offer? I know a friend of mine got an offer last year, but it was A*AA, and if that's typical then i'm not sure about your chances without any A* predictions. No idea if he had an A* prediction, mind! That's pretty much your 'high risk' choice though, so that's fine!
Original post by Nymthae
You'll probably be fine for most of those. Chemistry isn't the most competitive of subjects :tongue: long as you get across some interest through your PS I imagine you'll be fine. Imperial i'm not so sure about though, what is their typical offer? I know a friend of mine got an offer last year, but it was A*AA, and if that's typical then i'm not sure about your chances without any A* predictions. No idea if he had an A* prediction, mind! That's pretty much your 'high risk' choice though, so that's fine!

Yeah, thats what I've heard about Chemistry. :smile:
And yeah, Imperial is AAA/A*AA, i think it depends on what A levels you do etc etc etc, and its my dream university, so my university that I'm just going to have a shot at! I loved all the universities I've visited on the list (although I haven't seen Keele, but its my backup!) so I don't mind which I get in, but yeah :smile: I would be lucky if I had an offer from Imperial!
Reply 182
Ok so i'm applying in the next few days for mchem at
Oxford
Durham
Bristol
sheffield
york
Original post by Joshc93
Oxford
Durham
Bristol
sheffield
york

Which college at Durham?
Reply 184
Original post by archie0705
Which college at Durham?

butler, yourself?
BUTLER. You looked at the Durham 2012 Applicants thread? There are so many Butler applicants.

How come you chose butler? the self catering, the awesome bar and en suite?
Original post by Joshc93
Oxford
Durham
Bristol
sheffield
york

I'm also applying there :smile:
Reply 187
Original post by archie0705
BUTLER. You looked at the Durham 2012 Applicants thread? There are so many Butler applicants.

How come you chose butler? the self catering, the awesome bar and en suite?

yeah pretty much couldnt decide how to choose so I decided that en suite was a priority
Reply 188
Original post by .snowflake.
I'm also applying there :smile:

cool, well maybe i'll see you there :smile:
Hey fellow chem applicants lol :smile:
I sent my UCAS form off today :s-smilie: Scary stuff. Although, it won't be sent through to universities for another 2 weeks. But still, there's nothing I can change about it now!

How many of you have submitted your form, and where are you applying to? Also, do you know when offers/rejections start rolling in?

Reply 190
Submitting my form on the 16th (likely, don't want to be lumped in with the Oxbridge deadline). Need to finish my 4th draft!

Applying to

UCL
Birmingham
York/Manchester
Sheffield
Liverpool

AS:
Biology A
Chemistry A
Physics A
History A

Predicted AAA at A2
Original post by Joshc93
yeah pretty much couldnt decide how to choose so I decided that en suite was a priority

fair enough
Original post by robk93
Submitting my form on the 16th (likely, don't want to be lumped in with the Oxbridge deadline). Need to finish my 4th draft!

Applying to

UCL
Birmingham
York/Manchester
Sheffield
Liverpool

AS:
Biology A
Chemistry A
Physics A
History A

Predicted AAA at A2

Yeah :s-smilie: My Oxbridge deadline for my college was the 21st September, as they take a couple of weeks for tutors to do the references for everyone :s-smilie: And cool :biggrin: I am applying to Birmingham too! Which course are you applying for? I'm just applying for the BSc, but if I like it in my first year, I want to see if I can transfer to the MSci with the year abroad :biggrin:
Original post by Joshc93
cool, well maybe i'll see you there :smile:

That's if you dont get in at oxford.
Reply 194
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Yeah :s-smilie: My Oxbridge deadline for my college was the 21st September, as they take a couple of weeks for tutors to do the references for everyone :s-smilie: And cool :biggrin: I am applying to Birmingham too! Which course are you applying for? I'm just applying for the BSc, but if I like it in my first year, I want to see if I can transfer to the MSci with the year abroad :biggrin:

Ah :biggrin: I was planning on having it in this time next week, but my head of 6th warned me against it :tongue: and i'm applying for the MSci/Mchem at everywhere but Liverpool (BSc). Just straight chemistry, no years abroad for me :tongue:

What did you think of Birmingham? Where else are you applying? :smile:
Original post by robk93
Ah :biggrin: I was planning on having it in this time next week, but my head of 6th warned me against it :tongue: and i'm applying for the MSci/Mchem at everywhere but Liverpool (BSc). Just straight chemistry, no years abroad for me :tongue:

What did you think of Birmingham? Where else are you applying? :smile:

Oh cool :smile: And yeah :s-smilie: I would prefer to leave it until after the 15th :P and that sounds good, I would want to do a MSci, but I actually want to get into the Uni first! lol :L

And I loved Birmingham and the campus and the chemistry talks. you? and I also applied for Imperial, Southampton, Warwick and Keele as my backup, you? :smile:
Birmingham will definitely be my firm if I don't get Imperial as an offer :smile:
Ok so my grades for AS were :

B Physics
C Chemistry
C Psychology
D Media (dropped now)

What are my chances of getting into a good uni? My chemistry grade is a C because of my extremely poor EMPA practical mark (17/60 - U), in the actual exams I got 70% and 78% in the harder module, which isn't too bad.

How do I go about saying to uni's "I did poorly in my practical, which is clearly an extreme anomally. I'm also retaking unit 1"

How do uni's feel about retaking tests? I want to retake the 70% module (unit 1) to get it up to a 85% or above as it's quite easy and would make my A grade for A2 easier to reach.

More fun : I haven't finished my personal statement, didn't get any work experience and I don't have a clue what uni I want to go to!
Original post by callmenighthawk

B Physics
C Chemistry
C Psychology
D Media (dropped now)

What are my chances of getting into a good uni? My chemistry grade is a C because of my extremely poor EMPA practical mark (17/60 - U), in the actual exams I got 70% and 78% in the harder module, which isn't too bad.

How do I go about saying to uni's "I did poorly in my practical, which is clearly an extreme anomally. I'm also retaking unit 1"

How do uni's feel about retaking tests? I want to retake the 70% module (unit 1) to get it up to a 85% or above as it's quite easy and would make my A grade for A2 easier to reach.

More fun : I haven't finished my personal statement, didn't get any work experience and I don't have a clue what uni I want to go to!

hmm i think you're definitely going to have to retake a unit from chemistry to get higher grades also if you could get good predictions that may help, most unis ask for ABB which i think maybe doable for you if you work REALLLY REAAALLLYY hard, you still have time so dont despair and GET STARTED ON YOUR PS, also maybe attend some open days to get an idea of which uni you'd like to go to? id suggest kent but you're really going to have to research that yourself and see which uni you would like to go to good luck:smile: ALSO you dont need work experience to go into chem but maybe you could do like an hour of voluntary work a week to show depth? and maybe take up as maths if you think you can handle it
(edited 12 years ago)
Okay so noone is on a gap year?
Reply 199
Original post by callmenighthawk

B Physics
C Chemistry
C Psychology
D Media (dropped now)

Don't worry about work exp, you can't really get anything worthwhile and the majority of applicants won't have it.

I'd speak to your tutor(s) and get them to mention in your reference that you perform strongly in class/exams [or whatever they think is appropriate] and that it was just the practical unit which let you down. A resit is unlikely to be a problem, as you are doing it within your 2 years.

As someone said, typically ABB is where you'll want to be aiming for a wide choice, so ideally you'll need predictions like that. I know Liverpool gave me a points offer though [last year], which might be a good place to consider if you end up with AAC/ABC/BBB predictions or so. 300 points for the BSci and 320 for MChem w/ industry. Check their website etc. though as they may have upped them this year. Birmingham BSci I believe typically was BBB last year, so again maybe check that. Sheffield did give me a BBB offer for the straight MChem however that is below the 'typical' - their standard offer seems to be ABB. I had an ABB offer from Newcastle for MChem w/ Industry. QMUL site says 300 points (with a B in Chem) currently and Reading says 280 with a B also which would be fine for a BBC prediction set.

Find out your predictions. You are welcome to plead with them a little, but I wouldn't ask for higher grades if you don't genuinely believe you can achieve them.

There's no rush to put in your application yet, make sure you're happy with your PS. I'd say make haste about trying to finish it though, so you can get some feedback and have plenty of time to adjust it. Drafts are allowed to be rubbish :smile:

Give yourself an hour to have a little google around some places. I initially picked a lot of universities based on location, checked versus entry requirements. If you can go visit any i'd recommend it - it may be a bit late and can be quite expensive though, depending on travelling distance.

Latest

Trending

Trending