The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher French 2011-12

Hey! Thought we needed a thread for us AH French students to talk :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm also going to be doing AH French this year, I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm under no illusions that it's going to be easy. I've prepared myself for it being really difficult but hopefully I can manage and do well :smile:
Original post by _Stephieee
Hey, I'm also going to be doing AH French this year, I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm under no illusions that it's going to be easy. I've prepared myself for it being really difficult but hopefully I can manage and do well :smile:

Have you started the course yet? I have and I would say it's a bigger jump from Higher than Higher was from Standard Grade, but shouldn't be impossible! :redface: I think I'll be okay considering my passion for French :P The only thing I'm a little worried about is the speaking but I'm trying to speak French when I'm alone everyday and when I get back to school I'm going to ask my French teacher if I can speak with her just in French, except when we're in German haha! Of course if I don't understand something I'll speak English but I think it'll increase my confidence and vocab and general natural fluency :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
Have you started the course yet? I have and I would say it's a bigger jump from Higher than Higher was from Standard Grade, but shouldn't be impossible! :redface: I think I'll be okay considering my passion for French :P The only thing I'm a little worried about is the speaking but I'm trying to speak French when I'm alone everyday and when I get back to school I'm going to ask my French teacher if I can speak with her just in French, except when we're in German haha! Of course if I don't understand something I'll speak English but I think it'll increase my confidence and vocab and general natural fluency :smile:

Yes, we've been looking at our book and film but we've not done a huge amount of work for it. I completely agree about the size of the jump but I'm hopeful I'll manage :wink: I find the prospect of the speaking scary already since I sometimes struggle with my accent but I hope with lots of prep I'll do alright. I wish I could do that but there's four of us doing the AH this year which is more than ever before at my school (ironic given our Higher class was the smallest ever) and I really doubt we'd manage it all in French.

Are you doing German this year too? I would love to pick it up at university, it sounds brilliant :smile: I have my French teacher for Spanish as well which is really good for a Crash subject.

Am I right in thinking I've seen you over in the Language Applicants 2012 thread too? If so, I'm in the same boat :smile:
Yeah I'm doing crash German, are you doing crash Spanish? Yeah I've been in the Languages Applicants 2012 thread :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I am indeed doing Crash Spanish, first time my school has run a language other than French :smile:

Yeah, I thought so, I'm starting to get really worried about the whole process.

Do you know which book/film you'll be studying for French this year? :smile:
yeah its the first time my school is doing another language since the 80s :smile: Is there many people doing Spanish? Just me doing German :frown:

I am studying la grammaire est une chanson douce :smile: Will be reading LOTS of French literature and watching films as well this year :smile: What are you doing?
Reply 7
There's 6 of us, but it's a real variety of levels, someone who got a 5 at SG French and then two of us doing AH with others in between, goodness knows what level we'll get to, but with only 3 hours a week I doubt it will be the Higher I had been hoping for :frown:

I'm doing Au Revoir Les Enfants :smile: its really good at the moment but I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it in a few months time! I'm planning to do the same, but it's finding things that aren't too impossible to understand that I'm finding hard.
Au Revoir Les Enfants, is that the film or is there a book? That's on my wish list on amazon :wink:
Reply 9
We studied the book (well, script) of Au Revoir, Les Enfants at Higher and we're doing the film for AH, along with Camus' L'étranger.
I'm doing AH this year :biggrin: Unfortunately we're in with the Highers and we have a not-so-good teacher (compared to the other French teacher, which is actually French)...

Studying L'Etranger for the book (which I was meant to buy and read this summer...oops, time is slowly slipping away) and we haven't decided on the film yet. There's only 2 of us doing AH so basically our tecaher (the actual French one, not the bad one - kinda confusing, we have the a 4/2 period split between them) just told us to go and find a film we like over the summer. Again, not done, and I'm fairly sure the other girl doing AH is in Zambia now. Why can't I be organised?

And I'm also in the crash Spanish club! :biggrin:
haha well I'm thinking that the book I'm studying is kinda complex to talk about in a speaking :/ Will be studying some other books of my own will this year too though so hopefully I'll find something I really like to talk about during that :L We're not doing a film :frown: Well I say we, I mean I, since I'm the only one doing AH French with no classes :'( but yeah I'm gonna sit in the Higher class to be around French frequently :smile: Anyways, I like French film as a hobbie hahah
Hey! Just wanted to know what everyone is doing for their folio? I've been recommended to do a study of the book and a background essay but i want to do 2 texts or rather the book and some Baudelaire :smile: Anyone else abandoning the background essay?
Hey! Just wanted to know what everyone is doing for their folio? I've been recommended to do a study of the book and a background essay but i want to do 2 texts or rather the book and some Baudelaire :smile: Anyone else abandoning the background essay?

We haven't even started the folio yet! But I'm not sure, I know we're doing "L'étranger" and "La Haine". I don't know what type of essay we're doing for each.

I had my reading NAB on Wednesday. It was out of 26, with 16 being the pass mark. I got 17. :s-smilie: I'm obviously condemned to failure in the final exam!
That's cool, so are you writing about La Haine with a supporting text? I would totally write another essay about La Vie En Rose - major hearts for that film! <3 :biggrin: Ooh or Ne Dis Personne, that was an awesome film. Hate to say it, but I strongly dislike La Haine. Strongly.

I had my reading NAB on Wednesday too! :smile: Yeah, I only got 19 and it was out of 26 too. Not exactly happy but at least I've passed and to be fair I had 3 hours sleep the night before so my concentration was somewhat affected :P My listening is tomorrow (well technically today now) and I was absolutely s****ing myself about that but I've just done the 2010 paper without a dictionary and was only a mark away from getting an A so feeling a little more relieved! Shall be going to sleep listening to Carla Bruni I think!!

On another note: have you sent away your UCAS form yet?

Original post by christielovesyou
We haven't even started the folio yet! But I'm not sure, I know we're doing &quot;L'étranger&quot; and &quot;La Haine&quot;. I don't know what type of essay we're doing for each.

I had my reading NAB on Wednesday. It was out of 26, with 16 being the pass mark. I got 17. :s-smilie: I'm obviously condemned to failure in the final exam!
Always forget to quote...
That's cool, so are you writing about La Haine with a supporting text? I would totally write another essay about La Vie En Rose - major hearts for that film! <3 :biggrin: Ooh or Ne Dis Personne, that was an awesome film. Hate to say it, but I strongly dislike La Haine. Strongly.

I had my reading NAB on Wednesday too! :smile: Yeah, I only got 19 and it was out of 26 too. Not exactly happy but at least I've passed and to be fair I had 3 hours sleep the night before so my concentration was somewhat affected :P My listening is tomorrow (well technically today now) and I was absolutely s****ing myself about that but I've just done the 2010 paper without a dictionary and was only a mark away from getting an A so feeling a little more relieved! Shall be going to sleep listening to Carla Bruni I think!!

On another note: have you sent away your UCAS form yet?

I honestly have no idea, we haven't been told much about La Haine. I don't even know what it's about :rolleyes:

I luckily managed to scrape three extra marks when we went over the reading NAB, and we did another one which we can use if we we do better in it, so it's all good :biggrin: Hope your listening went well!

No, I haven't. I've yet to get my reference written because I haven't collected back in all my teacher background sheets. I just want it sent off now though so I need to get my finger out! Have you?
I honestly have no idea, we haven't been told much about La Haine. I don't even know what it's about :rolleyes:

I luckily managed to scrape three extra marks when we went over the reading NAB, and we did another one which we can use if we we do better in it, so it's all good :biggrin: Hope your listening went well!

No, I haven't. I've yet to get my reference written because I haven't collected back in all my teacher background sheets. I just want it sent off now though so I need to get my finger out! Have you?

My teacher was so mean on two marks in my reading NAB :frown: But since I passed, I just went with the flow! And did much better on listening - got 14 out of 18 and i already knew i'd dropped 3 marks when I finished it so I'm happy with that :smile: When is yours?

Sending of UCAS app on Thursday, want the whole symbolic, new month, new start thing to go on haha :P I'm anal like that :biggrin: So excited about sending it off! Just really want a bunch of unconditionals, which I am sure you will definitely get!
My teacher was so mean on two marks in my reading NAB :frown: But since I passed, I just went with the flow! And did much better on listening - got 14 out of 18 and i already knew i'd dropped 3 marks when I finished it so I'm happy with that :smile: When is yours?

Sending of UCAS app on Thursday, want the whole symbolic, new month, new start thing to go on haha :P I'm anal like that :biggrin: So excited about sending it off! Just really want a bunch of unconditionals, which I am sure you will definitely get!

We haven't set a date for our listening NAB yet, but we've got our writing next Tuesday. I have, however, done my Spanish listening NAB - I'm crashing the Higher, have only been learning Spanish for 3 months, and it was my first Higher-level listening. Get this...19/20. :biggrin: (OT from French, but I'm just so happy!)

I don't even think my reference has been done yet :frown: Seriously stressing now. But thanks, I'm sure you'll get loads of unconditionals too :smile:
We haven't set a date for our listening NAB yet, but we've got our writing next Tuesday. I have, however, done my Spanish listening NAB - I'm crashing the Higher, have only been learning Spanish for 3 months, and it was my first Higher-level listening. Get this...19/20. :biggrin: (OT from French, but I'm just so happy!)

I don't even think my reference has been done yet :frown: Seriously stressing now. But thanks, I'm sure you'll get loads of unconditionals too :smile:

Thanks! :smile: Well done on Spanish! Yeah I'm crashing Higher German this year and I got 19/20 on my reading, 16/18 on my listening and no mistakes in my writing! :biggrin: Major happy since I didn't even acheive that in my French last year or at least I don't think I did in the listening - that was a lonnnggg time ago haha! Crash languages are fun :smile: You're doing the bacc too right? How's your IP coming along?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending