The Student Room Group

Irish Soc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Because I don't regard myself as being Irish and none of my family does either. I have always been told that I'm British and so I identify as that rather than as 'half British half Irish'. I don't speak any Irish, I have no interest in doing so and I just don't feel any real connection with anything Irish, so I say I'm British.

that was clear from your first post love p
as theres many irish who would never see themselves as british

however I believe the next step in NI is to unite both communities..embrace both cultures..and see the advantage not the disadvantage of two separate cultures..market itself as a place where UK meets Ireland.the best of both worlds.that would be wonderful.
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Yo!

Raised in England, however I am full-blooded and can fake the accent reasonably well.

They almost named me Patrick O'Malley but they saw ****ing sense.

as irish as us so!p

that name is extremely common in my area!!
Original post by I*HM
I'm from Offaly, slap bang in the middle of Ireland, so I guess I am pretty Irish!

biffo himself!p
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Great Grandmother was an illegal Irish immigrant :colonhash:

:biggrin: wasnt everyones irish great grandmother p
Reply 2724
Original post by trustmeimlying1
biffo himself!p

Now now, play nice
Ah sure look, as my friends would say, "you get that in small towns and rural areas". But actually I'm not a total culchie, I'm regarded as a "blow in" around home :rolleyes:
:tongue:
I'm just at a point with the people at uni where, when they say 'oh, so you're Irish?' That I just go, '...yes.'

:biggrin:

What part of Northern Ireland are you from?
Original post by I*HM
Now now, play nice
Ah sure look, as my friends would say, "you get that in small towns and rural areas". But actually I'm not a total culchie, I'm regarded as a "blow in" around home :rolleyes:

hahah p

aww I like culchies!
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
My nationality changes depending on what part of Belfast I walk through :ninja:

hahah is belfast really that rough:?

I mean I go to uni in an unionist stronghold with a blatant southern accent but I never get any hassle

and I often chat to the locals..usually have good things to say about the south and us "chilled" southerners
hahah is belfast really that rough:?

I mean I go to uni in an unionist stronghold with a blatant southern accent but I never get any hassle

and I often chat to the locals..usually have good things to say about the south and us "chilled" southerners

Aaaah! Seriously? Even recently there has been attacks on people in the 'wrong place'

Spoiler

Aaaah! Seriously? Even recently there has been attacks on people in the 'wrong place'

Spoiler

thats the thing never get hassled a bit for it
yeh I dont look for trouble..but I dont hide my accent or anything like that
I wear my GAA jersey in town too sometimes

think its overplayed like most things
Original post by Wilfred Little
:biggrin:

What part of Northern Ireland are you from?

A little place just outside Belfast. It's about 30 minutes away when the traffic's light. I tried to drive home in the rush hour traffic yesterday and it took over an hour :eek:
A little place just outside Belfast. It's about 30 minutes away when the traffic's light. I tried to drive home in the rush hour traffic yesterday and it took over an hour :eek:

does it have a castle:?

Nope. It's a small little place that I doubt anyone's heard of unless you live there or in one of the bigger towns on either side of it.
Can't stand Irish accents...ugh
Nope. It's a small little place that I doubt anyone's heard of unless you live there or in one of the bigger towns on either side of it.

fair enough I can imagine the small typical irish village alright p
fair enough I can imagine the small typical irish village alright p

I mean, it's not like absolutely tiny. There's like 6 churches (which is hilarious) and maybe 20 shops? like a few hairdressing places/fruit and veg place.newsagent and a couple of pubs and clothing places and stuff. But it's reasonably small. Apparently it's classed as an 'intermediate settlement' by some statistics company or whatever

Not everyone lives in the same place albeit I immediately thought she did! :tongue: awkward. Hmmm! 30 minutes. Co. Antrim or co. Down? :biggrin:

Edit: I am guessing it's Antrim direction :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
I mean, it's not like absolutely tiny. There's like 6 churches (which is hilarious) and maybe 20 shops? like a few hairdressing places/fruit and veg place.newsagent and a couple of pubs and clothing places and stuff. But it's reasonably small. Apparently it's classed as an 'intermediate settlement' by some statistics company or whatever

yeh thats one thing I noticed in ni...so many churches!!!
sounds like a small town to moi..then again my parts damm rural
yeh so do yeh plan in staying in ni:?
yeh thats one thing I noticed in ni...so many churches!!!
sounds like a small town to moi..then again my parts damm rural
yeh so do yeh plan in staying in ni:?

I'm studying in England (have returned to NI for holidays though!) and with my course it's pretty hard to decide where you want to go. As in, I have to do what's known as a pre-registration year which means a year of on the jobs training, yeah? And the competition can be pretty tough, especially for bigger cities/towns and it gets to a point where people just say 'just give me a job and I'll go anywhere, although x place would be great'. After that we can move about, but you still have to find a job, you know? So I'm not 100% sure. I'll be happy anywhere though.

Not everyone lives in the same place albeit I immediately thought she did! :tongue: awkward. Hmmm! 30 minutes. Co. Antrim or co. Down? :biggrin:

Down. Your guess was wrong :wink:
Original post by chocolatesauce
The clock is ticking!!!! (Apparently) you guys won't get this joke :rofl:

anyways say hello if there are any :smile:

Are you not Asian?

Quick Reply

Latest