The Student Room Group

Getting into Dermatology

Hi, I'm a second year medical student interested in dermatology. However, I'm aware it is a very competitive speciality.

Do you have to be the top of your year to have a good chance of getting in? Also, what can be done to increase chances of getting in? I'm already part of the Derm Soc at my uni, but everywhere I read says to get involved in research but I'm not sure how to do this. Does this mean doing a BSc is recommended to show I've done research?
Original post by amarakhan
Hi, I'm a second year medical student interested in dermatology. However, I'm aware it is a very competitive speciality.

Do you have to be the top of your year to have a good chance of getting in? Also, what can be done to increase chances of getting in? I'm already part of the Derm Soc at my uni, but everywhere I read says to get involved in research but I'm not sure how to do this. Does this mean doing a BSc is recommended to show I've done research?

In the UK class rankings don't matter. Even your deciles don't matter after FPAS.

An intercalated BSc is a good idea but you can certainly get involved in research without one. I would only do an iBSc if you're interested in it. If you have a derm soc, this is presumably a forum for meeting local dermatology registrars and consultants? Approach one and ask if there is any departmental research you could get involved with.

GP and paediatrics see a lot of dermatology so again that could be another route to finding some research opportunities when you start placements. You could also arrange a dermatology related elective which would give you more contacts.
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
In the UK class rankings don't matter. Even your deciles don't matter after FPAS.

An intercalated BSc is a good idea but you can certainly get involved in research without one. I would only do an iBSc if you're interested in it. If you have a derm soc, this is presumably a forum for meeting local dermatology registrars and consultants? Approach one and ask if there is any departmental research you could get involved with.

GP and paediatrics see a lot of dermatology so again that could be another route to finding some research opportunities when you start placements. You could also arrange a dermatology related elective which would give you more contacts.

Oh really I didn't actually know rankings were not that important.

Also, that's a good point when I am back at uni I will try to make contacts with the registrars/consultants there etc.

Thanks for your advice, all very helpful!!
Reply 3
Original post by amarakhan
Oh really I didn't actually know rankings were not that important.

Also, that's a good point when I am back at uni I will try to make contacts with the registrars/consultants there etc.

Thanks for your advice, all very helpful!!

hi, im also interested in derm? its been 3 years now, do you have any tips haha and what experience did you get? thank uu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending