The Student Room Group

What was wrong with the "Poll tax"?

Hi

Question in the title. Was it not a fairer system than the council tax system we have today? (Curious because I'm too young to have lived under it lol)

:smile: ???

Scroll to see replies

Colbert said that the art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to get the most feathers with the least hissing.

The poll tax broke that principle. It deliberately set out to require all individuals to have to make a personal payment of taxation. The policy underpinning this was that if people very visibly had to pay for local government they would rein in local council extravagance.

Instead, it gave every opponent of the government, and particularly all those individuals with nothing personally to lose by doing so, the opportunity to pretend he was John Hampden and refuse noisily to make payment. However, as Margaret Thatcher had made "no U-turns" a key part of her political platform, the government were stuck with the policy long after it had demonstrably failed. Only when Major became Prime Minister could the poll tax be killed off.
Original post by yeah yeah
Hi

Question in the title. Was it not a fairer system than the council tax system we have today? (Curious because I'm too young to have lived under it lol)

:smile: ???

Well, how do you define fair? If you define it by progressivity, then no, it was not, as the poor paid more (the tax was levied depending on the no. of people living in a house, and given that poor people tend to live in larger families they paid more as a consequence). However, if you consider it only in theoretical terms, and consider fairness to be when everyone pays the same proportion of their income, then yes, it was, as the tax was flat - that is, the rate did not vary with the income of the taxpayer.

And a tax can be a bad idea even if it is fair. Morality doesn't really come into economic decisions.
Reply 3
Original post by Markleberry
Well, how do you define fair? If you define it by progressivity, then no, it was not, as the poor paid more (the tax was levied depending on the no. of people living in a house, and given that poor people tend to live in larger families they paid more as a consequence). However, if you consider it only in theoretical terms, and consider fairness to be when everyone pays the same proportion of their income, then yes, it was, as the tax was flat - that is, the rate did not vary with the income of the taxpayer.

And a tax can be a bad idea even if it is fair. Morality doesn't really come into economic decisions.

What, how can it be fair in terms of it being proportional if it is a flat rate and not based on income - that is the exact opposite of proportional as those with lower incomes pay a bigger proportion of their income. What am I missing, as that seems fairly simple maths to me.
Reply 4
I remember the iniquitous thing being that students or people on benefits got a reduction, but still had to pay 25% of the poll tax. I had to pay a quarter the rate my dad did, living in his house, but his monthly salary was ten times what my giro was. Twenty times, probably.

Given the hand-to-mouth nature of living on the dole at the time, where you didn't have enough to buy food for the whole period your giro covered anyway, it was a piss take.

As I understand it these days, if you are on benefits or a student then you are exempt from Council Tax.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5

Taxation isn't an economic decision, its a political one.
Original post by mabrookes
What, how can it be fair in terms of it being proportional if it is a flat rate and not based on income - that is the exact opposite of proportional as those with lower incomes pay a bigger proportion of their income. What am I missing, as that seems fairly simple maths to me.

It was proportional insofar as everyone paid the same amount relative to the value of their house. See, in taxation terms, 'flat' means everyone pays the same proportion - not necessarily the same amount. For example, if you had a 20% flat tax, a person with a house worth £100000 would pay £20000, whereas a person with a house worth £500000 would pay £100000.
The only reason it wasn't flat was because reality got in the way; the poor ended up paying more because of the higher occupancy per house.

Original post by Quady
Taxation isn't an economic decision, its a political one.

If it influences production, consumption or distribution, then it's an economic decision, as it influences the economy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
the tax was flat - that is, the rate did not vary with the income of the taxpayer.

As has been pointed out, there was a series of measures to compensate those on low incomes, the disabled and so forth.

I think that's a reasonable system really. Even if you want to make taxes redistributive, doing so at a local level when you're also doing it at a national one isn't necessarily a good thing.
Original post by L i b
As has been pointed out, there was a series of measures to compensate those on low incomes, the disabled and so forth.

I didn't say there wasn't. That doesn't mean it wasn't a flat tax.
Reply 9
If it influences production, consumption or distribution, then it's an economic decision, as it influences the economy.

No it has economic outcomes.

Otherwise there wouldn't have been a u-turn on the poll tax would there?

Or more recently the 10p tax band or the cider tax increase.

Otherwise you can say my use of electricity on my PC and washing machine right now is an economic decision. In reality its not, but has outcomes for the economy.
Original post by Quady

Otherwise you can say my use of electricity on my PC and washing machine right now is an economic decision. In reality its not, but has outcomes for the economy.

Well it is; you're choosing the allocation of your time and (if you pay the 'leccy bill) money.
Reply 11
Well, how do you define fair?

Council taxes pay for council services, right? And your rate is set in terms of the value of your house. That's what I think is unfair because what bearing does the value of your house have on how much council services your household consumes?

For example: How is it fair that, say, a person living on their own but in a large house has to pay more than ten people living in a smaller house? Clearly the ten people living in the smaller house will be using council services more than the one person in the larger house - how is the current system fair?
It was proportional insofar as everyone paid the same amount relative to the value of their house. See, in taxation terms, 'flat' means everyone pays the same proportion - not necessarily the same amount. For example, if you had a 20% flat tax, a person with a house worth £100000 would pay £20000, whereas a person with a house worth £500000 would pay £100000.
The only reason it wasn't flat was because reality got in the way; the poor ended up paying more because of the higher occupancy per house.

Ah ok, I was thinking of it in a different way :smile:
Reply 13

For example: How is it fair that, say, a person living on their own but in a large house has to pay more than ten people living in a smaller house? Clearly the ten people living in the smaller house will be using council services more than the one person in the larger house - how is the current system fair?

Possibly because if people's economic circumstances are forcing them to live ten to a small house, then they would generally have less disposable income than one person in a large house?
Original post by Quady
No it has economic outcomes.

Otherwise there wouldn't have been a u-turn on the poll tax would there?

Or more recently the 10p tax band or the cider tax increase.

It's both political and economic surely. When you tax people, you want to avoid losing their votes, and you want to avoid reducing demand and investment in the economy. George Osborne wants the economy to grow and for the Tories to be reasonably popular. It's nonsense to say that tax decisions are purely political or economic.
Reply 15
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
It's nonsense to say that tax decisions are purely political or economic.

So setting VAT on domestic gas/electric at 5% and on food at 0% is partly an economic decision as they are price inelastic products?

:s-smilie:
Original post by Quady
So setting VAT on domestic gas/electric at 5% and on food at 0% is partly an economic decision as they are price inelastic products?

:s-smilie:

There must be some economic calculation behind it :colondollar:
Reply 17
Council taxes pay for council services, right? And your rate is set in terms of the value of your house. That's what I think is unfair because what bearing does the value of your house have on how much council services your household consumes?

You could apply that logic to any tax though - I don't think many people would suggest we should just pay a fixed "defence" fee or a fixed "education" fee.

Council tax is unfair because it taxes you based on the value of your property which may be unrelated both to your ability to pay, and to your use of services.

The poll tax was fair because everyone paid for the services they were using (although arguably some services scale more by household than by individual), but unfair because it takes no account of ability to pay.

A local income tax is fair because it takes account of your ability to pay, but unfair because some people pay a lot more than others for the same services.

Take your pick. It comes down to whether you think local services should be funded from taxation to whether you think you should pay a fee, like the TV license or the gas bill.
Reply 18

People choose to live in a big house, if they want to pay less, move to a smaller house, its their choice.
Reply 19
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
There must be some economic calculation behind it :colondollar:

There must be, just as there must be an economic calculation behind why childrens clothes are zero rated.

Or why donations to charity are tax deducable and why road tax varies depending on whether it was made before the 70s and its carbon emissions...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending