The Student Room Group

Admiral quotes not appearing?

Hello, my car insurance expires in around a month and a half. I am currently with Tesco Bank Box insurance but all my new quotes seem to be without black boxes now which is great.

So I've been getting a few quotes ahead of time, maybe over the last few weeks and I put in the furthest date just for quote purposes. I have done this because I need to know how much to budget for car insurance as it's fairly expensive due to the car I drive.

Recently I tried to get quotes with different comparison sites and none of the Admiral quotes came up, this included the quotes which have the same price as admiral such as Ford Insure etc. (I'm assuming they are all owned by the same company). So, I get the feeling I have been blacklisted for looking up too many quotes.

Now, I shouldn't need to care about this as there are other quotes, apart from the fact that these were the cheapest quotes from Admiral and now they won't give me any quotes at all on any comparison site.

I have tried going on their website to get a direct quote, I typed all the details in, they said I was already registered (from around 18 months ago). I then had an email with a link to my quote but the link they gave didn't work.

I feel like I've been blacklisted for getting too many quotes. Could someone help me out here with a solution? I have seen other posts on TSR about this but they didn't really come up with a resolution. Do I ring them and ask them under GDPR if I have been blacklisted?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by scg123
Hello, my car insurance expires in around a month and a half. I am currently with Tesco Bank Box insurance but all my new quotes seem to be without black boxes now which is great.

So I've been getting a few quotes ahead of time, maybe over the last few weeks and I put in the furthest date just for quote purposes. I have done this because I need to know how much to budget for car insurance as it's fairly expensive due to the car I drive.

Recently I tried to get quotes with different comparison sites and none of the Admiral quotes came up, this included the quotes which have the same price as admiral such as Ford Insure etc. (I'm assuming they are all owned by the same company). So, I get the feeling I have been blacklisted for looking up too many quotes.

Now, I shouldn't need to care about this as there are other quotes, apart from the fact that these were the cheapest quotes from Admiral and now they won't give me any quotes at all on any comparison site.

I have tried going on their website to get a direct quote, I typed all the details in, they said I was already registered (from around 18 months ago). I then had an email with a link to my quote but the link they gave didn't work.

I feel like I've been blacklisted for getting too many quotes. Could someone help me out here with a solution? I have seen other posts on TSR about this but they didn't really come up with a resolution. Do I ring them and ask them under GDPR if I have been blacklisted?

Yes you're blacklisted, but only temporarily, and you haven't done anything wrong.

In my experience, Admiral stop quoting for two reasons.

1) you're already with them and close to your renewal date
2) you've obtained too many quotes in a short period of time

It costs them money to produce a quote for you as they will go and consult credit reference agencies amongst other things to formulate a premium calculation.

They should still be happy to quote you directly, but expect the premium to be wildly different from what comparison sites were listing.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
Yes you're blacklisted, but only temporarily, and you haven't done anything wrong.

In my experience, Admiral stop quoting for two reasons.

1) you're already with them and close to your renewal date
2) you've obtained too many quotes in a short period of time

It costs them money to produce a quote for you as they will go and consult credit reference agencies amongst other things to formulate a premium calculation.

They should still be happy to quote you directly, but expect the premium to be wildly different from what comparison sites were listing.

I see, so if I give them a ring directly they will give me a quote...but why would the premium be loads more if I ask directly?
Admiral & Pals kind of froze me out in the same way and I crapped it. Was just an online thing because I was already with them, sorted out and quoted on the phone in a few mins with no weird price.
Reply 4
Original post by scg123
I see, so if I give them a ring directly they will give me a quote...but why would the premium be loads more if I ask directly?

Not as a result of asking directly, but as a result of the high volume of quotes.. especially if they all had differing details!
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Not as a result of asking directly, but as a result of the high volume of quotes.. especially if they all had differing details!

Well I have reasoning behind differing quotes because firstly, I went on different comparison sites. Secondly I also changed the modifications on some quotes to see for example whether removing my tints and wind deflectors from my car would get me a cheaper price. And thirdly, because I am in university, I live in the same city as my university so I wanted to see whether if I just left my car at home rather than keeping it down at my halls would be cheaper.

If I explain this to them, do you think they may be reasonable or is it a case of the call centre person typing something on a computer and whatever comes up is the price and no context is taken?
Reply 6
Original post by scg123
Well I have reasoning behind differing quotes because firstly, I went on different comparison sites. Secondly I also changed the modifications on some quotes to see for example whether removing my tints and wind deflectors from my car would get me a cheaper price. And thirdly, because I am in university, I live in the same city as my university so I wanted to see whether if I just left my car at home rather than keeping it down at my halls would be cheaper.

If I explain this to them, do you think they may be reasonable or is it a case of the call centre person typing something on a computer and whatever comes up is the price and no context is taken?

Don't get me wrong, I do the same myself, and I encourage others to do the same! It just so happens that the Admiral Group don't like paying for us to get one over on them :-)

It's all down to the computer I'm afraid. Premiums are calculated with a magical black box that does some serious statistical analysis with big data.
Please don't be dissuaded from calling in; they may very well still be competitive and the temporary blacklist has no impact...... or it might have a big impact. Unfortunately I can't say either way!
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
Don't get me wrong, I do the same myself, and I encourage others to do the same! It just so happens that the Admiral Group don't like paying for us to get one over on them :-)

It's all down to the computer I'm afraid. Premiums are calculated with a magical black box that does some serious statistical analysis with big data.
Please don't be dissuaded from calling in; they may very well still be competitive and the temporary blacklist has no impact...... or it might have a big impact. Unfortunately I can't say either way!

Fair enough, thanks for your help anyway! We are talking about a £100 - £200 difference in price between the Admiral and the next best quote which isn't too bad but I'd rather get the cheapest.
Reply 8
Original post by scg123
Fair enough, thanks for your help anyway! We are talking about a £100 - £200 difference in price between the Admiral and the next best quote which isn't too bad but I'd rather get the cheapest.

£100-200 is a big difference.
Reply 9
Original post by Jpw1097

Not if the premium is orders of magnitude more...
Reply 10
Original post by Jpw1097

The quotes I was getting with Admiral group insurers were around £800-900 depending on how much excess I was willing to pay, whereas now the cheapest is Hastings at around £950-£1050. Bear in mind I'm 19, I have 2 years no claims and it's for a relatively expensive (to me) Audi. I will give them a ring in a couple of weeks as that will mark 30 days before renewal and I will make an update post on this thread to let you know what happens.
Original post by IWMTom
Not if the premium is orders of magnitude more...

£100-200 is £100-200 regardless.
Reply 12
Original post by Jpw1097
£100-200 is £100-200 regardless.

Difference is relative to the original figures, genius. :facepalm:
Original post by IWMTom
Difference is relative to the original figures, genius. :facepalm:

What's with the sarcastic response? Given the choice between saving £100-200 or spending it, I'd choose saving it, whether my premium was £200 or £2,000 per year.
Reply 14
Original post by Jpw1097
What's with the sarcastic response? Given the choice between saving £100-200 or spending it, I'd choose saving it, whether my premium was £200 or £2,000 per year.

You said:
"£100-200 is a big difference."

I said:
"Not if the premium is orders of magnitude more..."

£100 is a big difference if the original figures are in the hundreds. £100 is not a big difference if the original figures are in the thousands.

Understand the flaw in your logic yet?
Original post by IWMTom
You said:
"£100-200 is a big difference."

I said:
"Not if the premium is orders of magnitude more..."

£100 is a big difference if the original figures are in the hundreds. £100 is not a big difference if the original figures are in the thousands.

Understand the flaw in your logic yet?

For the vast majority of people, saving £100-200 on car insurance is a big difference. The OP has said they have quotes ranging from £800-£1050, so this would be a saving of 10-20%. Unless you're spending £2k+ on car insurance, which only applies to a minority of people, £100-200 is a big difference. For most people, £100-200 is objectively a fair amount of money, irrespective of the total premium.
Reply 16
Original post by Jpw1097
For the vast majority of people, saving £100-200 on car insurance is a big difference. The OP has said they have quotes ranging from £800-£1050, so this would be a saving of 10-20%. Unless you're spending £2k+ on car insurance, which only applies to a minority of people, £100-200 is a big difference. For most people, £100-200 is objectively a fair amount of money, irrespective of the total premium.

Semantics are important. I suggest you read the thread again from start to finish and thoroughly check the wording between yourself and I.

Perhaps you will then see where your logic fell apart.
Original post by IWMTom
Semantics are important. I suggest you read the thread again from start to finish and thoroughly check the wording between yourself and I.

Perhaps you will then see where your logic fell apart.

:facepalm:
Original post by Jpw1097

If we're taking about a £200 premium, the difference is 50-100%. If we're taking about a £4000 premium, the difference is 2.5-5%. Those are wildly different numbers! In terms of car insurance (which is a yearly amount) £100-200 isn't that big of a difference, depending on what it offers you and your premium. If your premium is £200 and the difference is £200 for not a lot extra then you're looking at a doubled premium for no real benefit. If your premium is already a grand and a hundred quid puts you with a better insurer with a lower excess then it's a small amount for a lot more benefit.

£200 isn't that much in the grand scheme of car ownership. I spend 2/3rds of that on fuel every month..
Reply 19
UPDATE: I rang up Admiral, they found all the quotes and managed to get me a really good deal. They didn't say why I wasn't getting the comparison quotes though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending