The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oscar1
Hi all,

Like many GEM applicants, my original student loan still has a lot to be paid off. To fund 4 years of GEM will require more loans.

How will paying back multiple loans work?

I'm worried that I will be paying back 9% of my salary for one loan and then ANOTHER 9% to pay the second. OUUCH. Is this the case? Or are they aggregated somehow?

I have struggled to find any indication of how this might work, so any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

If it's just a normal student loan, then it's just the standard 9%, not the 18 (or so) %.
Reply 381
But how might the two merge, given the different rules, rates and thresholds applying to each?
Original post by oscar1
But how might the two merge, given the different rules, rates and thresholds applying to each?

I'd say that they run consecutively - once one loan's worth of money is repaid, the next loan's repayments begin.

Chances are though, that you might not end up paying it all due to the government's stupidity :tongue:
Reply 383
Original post by thegodofgod
I'd say that they run consecutively - once one loan's worth of money is repaid, the next loan's repayments begin.

Possibly but it would be useful to have some actual details. I'm not sure who the best people to speak to to would be.
Original post by oscar1
Possibly but it would be useful to have some actual details. I'm not sure who the best people to speak to to would be.

Emailing / ringing student finance, or universities you wish to apply to (if you aren't already on the GEM course)?
Reply 385
655 for UKCAT = no chance for GEP?

:frown:
Reply 386
Original post by oscar1

The current government have changed the existing regulations so that, over a period of five years, the repayment rates and thresholds of 'old system' and 'new system' students are going to be converged anyway.

So by the time you graduate it'll not make much difference.
Im so confused about funding for the GEP courses. I too am hoping to study medicine (GEP 4 year). However, I have been told that because tuition fees have risen to 9K the NHS only pays 3K towards the tutition fees in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year and then now we will have to fork out the remaining 6K each year!
So 1st year= we have to fund all of the 9K..
2nd year= 3K tuition fee loan provided by the NHS and we have to fund the extra 6K
3rd year= same as second year
4th year = same as second year

Where the hell am I going to about around 27K + to cover the 4 years :eek::confused:
Reply 388
Original post by groovyangel2008
Im so confused about funding for the GEP courses. I too am hoping to study medicine (GEP 4 year). However, I have been told that because tuition fees have risen to 9K the NHS only pays 3K towards the tutition fees in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year and then now we will have to fork out the remaining 6K each year!
So 1st year= we have to fund all of the 9K..
2nd year= 3K tuition fee loan provided by the NHS and we have to fund the extra 6K
3rd year= same as second year
4th year = same as second year

Where the hell am I going to about around 27K + to cover the 4 years :eek::confused:

You will be entitled to a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company for the extra £6k.

The idea is that graduates of GEM degrees who previously got 'bargain' £3k tuition fees will be saddled with the same level of debt as new entrants to undergraduate degrees (at £9k a year).

Whether or not it ever happens is another question. Personally I have my doubts about the legal and regulatory feasibility of the new policy.
Original post by HLS
You will be entitled to a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company for the extra £6k.

The idea is that graduates of GEM degrees who previously got 'bargain' £3k tuition fees will be saddled with the same level of debt as new entrants to undergraduate degrees (at £9k a year).

Whether or not it ever happens is another question. Personally I have my doubts about the legal and regulatory feasibility of the new policy.

Are you sure that we are entitled to the whole amount? Is there a website that states this?

Also how will graduates of GEM degrees have the same level debt as new entrants to undergraduate degrees, how does that work out?
Reply 390
Are you sure that we are entitled to the whole amount? Is there a website that states this?

Also how will graduates of GEM degrees have the same level debt as new entrants to undergraduate degrees, how does that work out?

Explained here: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gem/index.aspx

Most of the people applying to GEM this year will have paid £3k/year for their previous degree.

If they have to borrow another £6k/year for GEM across four years this means their total tuition fee debt is around £36k.

This is the same amount people entering undergraduate medicine next year will have to borrow.

Bastards
Reply 391
Hey guys need a little help. I am sitting with a 2.1 in anatomy and a ukcat of 663 but not really sure where about to apply. was thinking 2 scottish and 2 GEP, mayb glasgow, aberdeen, warwick and who knows the now. I would be happy to go anywhere but want to apply to places that i would have a realistic chance of getting in. Therefore i was just wondering what GEP i would be best to apply for with a chance of getting in....
Original post by George89
Hey guys need a little help. I am sitting with a 2.1 in anatomy and a ukcat of 663 but not really sure where about to apply. was thinking 2 scottish and 2 GEP, mayb glasgow, aberdeen, warwick and who knows the now. I would be happy to go anywhere but want to apply to places that i would have a realistic chance of getting in. Therefore i was just wondering what GEP i would be best to apply for with a chance of getting in....

Well that UKCAT score is slightly low for GEP courses. What are your academics like? What is your degree in? What are your A-level subjects/grades? Have you sat the GAMSAT? I can't help without these pieces of info.

Yes you are. It states on the website that you are entitiled.
Original post by Princess Bubbles
Yes you are. It states on the website that you are entitiled.

Ahh thats great, thanks! I guess the 4 year courses are gonna be very competitive this year then!
Reply 395
Hi guys, looking for help on making my final Uni course choice: Newcastle 4 year or 5 year?

I'm applying for 3 other Scottish uni's and, given the reduced fees for a Scottish national, they will be my first choice. However, if it comes down to it I'd like to go to Newcastle and study. I have a 2:1 in Pharmacology and UKCAT of 730 which is enough for the 4 year AFAIK.

As a reapplicant I'm pretty afraid of 4 rejections again, so I don't want to waste a place, however, I do feel that 9K in fees is a significant difference.

So the question is: should I just go for it and apply for the more competitive 4 year? Or play it a little safer and apply for the more expensive 5? I'm torn :/.
Reply 396
Original post by arh88

with a UKCAT like that lots of places will take you!
Reply 397

Original post by Vox0
Hi guys, looking for help on making my final Uni course choice: Newcastle 4 year or 5 year?

I'm applying for 3 other Scottish uni's and, given the reduced fees for a Scottish national, they will be my first choice. However, if it comes down to it I'd like to go to Newcastle and study. I have a 2:1 in Pharmacology and UKCAT of 730 which is enough for the 4 year AFAIK.

As a reapplicant I'm pretty afraid of 4 rejections again, so I don't want to waste a place, however, I do feel that 9K in fees is a significant difference.

So the question is: should I just go for it and apply for the more competitive 4 year? Or play it a little safer and apply for the more expensive 5? I'm torn :/.

with that UKCAT you should be fine for GEM anywhere
Reply 398
Original post by helmasry

oh and I have gone for 3 under and one post and I have a score of 725 average if that helps, I also have a 2:1 but in Bio with Psych degree
Reply 399
Original post by helmasry
oh and I have gone for 3 under and one post and I have a score of 725 average if that helps, I also have a 2:1 but in Bio with Psych degree

Cheers. Also just found out apparently we need to pay up front for 4 years of undergrad but only 1 year up front for grad. Makes the decision easier too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending