The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

New to the thread.

I'm having trouble getting a work experience placement. I have emailed a few hospitals through their work experience services. However, I'm not getting replies.

Does anyone have a template of what to write/include in an email to apply for work experience?

Do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance!:biggrin:

(trying to secure a placement in London, if that helps:ninja:)
Original post by Ama2007
yes i will be applying to edinburgh (based purely on location) I dont know any graduates at edinburgh...Some unis dont need ssciency degrees. I dont know if pharmacy will act as an advantage or disadvantage...both profession different aims (pharmacist want to use most cost-effective drug, all drug-related and that) Just became a pharmacist 4 days a go :biggrin:

Congrats on qualification! It is bound to stand to you more than....history. Chemistry seems to be a big portion of application, so that should be helpful.
Best of luck with the applications!
Reply 782
Original post by eddie-mercury
Congrats on qualification! It is bound to stand to you more than....history. Chemistry seems to be a big portion of application, so that should be helpful.
Best of luck with the applications!

pharmacy/biomedical sciences/chemistry are similar dont you think. I think they recieve so many biomed students and stuff every year, initially, i thought having pharmacy as first degree would be disadvantage because they would ask why didnt you do medicine initally why after pharmacy...most people think of at as a gateway into medicine for first time failed medics. But its different for me, I never actually applied to med in the first place...i wanted to do it but due to a number of reasons i missed the deadline 15 october and that was it. Now i think i can actually talk all about the healthcare service after my training in NHS
Enough about me ! are you applying to only GEM courses?

I am actually excited to see the result of my application.
Original post by Ama2007
pharmacy/biomedical sciences/chemistry are similar dont you think. I think they recieve so many biomed students and stuff every year, initially, i thought having pharmacy as first degree would be disadvantage because they would ask why didnt you do medicine initally why after pharmacy...most people think of at as a gateway into medicine for first time failed medics. But its different for me, I never actually applied to med in the first place...i wanted to do it but due to a number of reasons i missed the deadline 15 october and that was it. Now i think i can actually talk all about the healthcare service after my training in NHS
Enough about me ! are you applying to only GEM courses?

I am actually excited to see the result of my application.

I am sure it will give you a competitive edge, a foot in the door - you just need to close the deal.
Still not 100% sure about where I will be applying too. Thinking scottish uni's as they are cheaper (but they don't have any GEM). Will be applying to GEM's back home in Ireland too - but will have to sit the GAMSAT, so will be sitting that in 2013. Have yet to sit the UKCAT, as I am finishing up my masters in early September.

So far everything is up in the air. Edinburgh would be ideal, as I really like the city and the course looks great. I prefer the 5 years to a 4 year course. Makes things a bit more manageable, and less like to die of stress.

But getting in looks like a nightmare. I especially doubt they will take too favourably to a non-Scottish psychology graduate. Oh well, only one way to find out.
Hi,

I just sat my UKCAT today and got 688. Is there anyone who might know which universities I would realistically be 'ok' to apply to for GEM?? Did anyone get through to interview with a score less than 700 (esp. KCL)?

VR 600
QR 720
AR 600
DA 830

I'd really appreciate help! :smile:

Thanks,

Vee
Original post by confuzzledvee
Hi,

I just sat my UKCAT today and got 688. Is there anyone who might know which universities I would realistically be 'ok' to apply to for GEM?? Did anyone get through to interview with a score less than 700 (esp. KCL)?

VR 600
QR 720
AR 600
DA 830

I'd really appreciate help! :smile:

Thanks,

Vee

KCL and Newcastle both ask for above 700, Warwick is a possibility their cut off was 670ish last year, however may go up.. Depends on your previous degree too! I am very limited to newcastle kcl and warwick so practicing like a mad man at the UKCAT
Reply 786
Original post by *...smiling away....*
Hi every one,

I'm a second year biomed student at KCL and just got my results for this year which were really disappointing (59% so a 2.2) I got 65% in my first year and I think my tutor would still be willing to predict me a 2.1, basically my question to any past applicants or people in the know is- do we have to include our module grades so far or can we just put our predicted classification? and if we do have to put our module grades do you think being predicted higher than what I've actually gained so far will work against me? will they believe I can get it?

Every thing else in my application is pretty strong and I really didn't expect to come up below par at the first hurdle. Not even sure there's much point in trying now :frown:

This reply might be a bit late but I've just finished 3rd year of biomed at King's, when I applied last year I did not have to state individual module results on the UCAS application, that was optional it is up to you whether you wish to state it on UCAS but you definitely have to state the predicted deg grade. The conditions of the offer are based on you getting a certain grade/deg classification so many uni's are not really concerned about individual module marks. If your tutor has agreed to predicting you a 2.1 and you are happy with everything else in your application I think you should go ahead and apply, just make sure to work hard in third year (remember its weighted the most it can make all the difference!) Good luck :smile:
Reply 787
Any advice on preparing for the UKCAT and getting a high score? I realise King's want a big score. What should I do? Thanks.
Original post by Soft Cat
Any advice on preparing for the UKCAT and getting a high score? I realise King's want a big score. What should I do? Thanks.

Read the thread about the UKCAT :P its been asked about 1000 times....
Obviously when you want to do something.... practice
Original post by lcsurfer
KCL and Newcastle both ask for above 700, Warwick is a possibility their cut off was 670ish last year, however may go up.. Depends on your previous degree too! I am very limited to newcastle kcl and warwick so practicing like a mad man at the UKCAT

Thanks lcsurfer! I'm really hoping for one of the London universities. Do you reckon there is a chance for even a 5-year course? My background was in psychology.
Original post by confuzzledvee
Thanks lcsurfer! I'm really hoping for one of the London universities. Do you reckon there is a chance for even a 5-year course? My background was in psychology.

it depends on Degree and A levels each uni is different some universities *cough*bham*cough* are expecting a perfect set of academics from GCSE which is completely unreasonable as grad medicine is there to 'get doctors from different backgrounds and degrees'! remember undergrad fees are 9000£ a year for 4 years and without any financial support!
Look at all the admissions thing, i've spent hours going through it all researching for myself...
Thanks lcsurfer. Have contacted them now so hopefully will have a good idea soon!
it depends on Degree and A levels each uni is different some universities *cough*bham*cough* are expecting a perfect set of academics from GCSE which is completely unreasonable as grad medicine is there to 'get doctors from different backgrounds and degrees'! remember undergrad fees are 9000£ a year for 4 years and without any financial support!
Look at all the admissions thing, i've spent hours going through it all researching for myself...

I wouldn't say I got a perfect set of academics from GCSE!
Original post by groovyangel2008
I wouldn't say I got a perfect set of academics from GCSE!

I was told to not bother applying there because i only had 4 A's and 1 A* at GCSE for graduate entry....
I work for a large world renown organisation and they don't care about the work i am doing now just the fact that i may of been a little lazy when i was 16... irritates me a lot
I was told to not bother applying there because i only had 4 A's and 1 A* at GCSE for graduate entry....
I work for a large world renown organisation and they don't care about the work i am doing now just the fact that i may of been a little lazy when i was 16... irritates me a lot

Well most people do more than 5 GCSE's so that could be why? I'm sure if you did more than 8 or so GCSE's you would have been fine.
Reply 795
Some universities do look for consistently high grades from birth. However, if you are in a situation in which you either don't have enough or don't have high enough grades for a particular medical school then simply look at other schools. The great thing about England in particular is that there is a huge number of GEP, 5, and 6 year medical programmes out there with varying academic requirements. I wish there was such a selection available in Scotland!
Original post by LaShy
This reply might be a bit late but I've just finished 3rd year of biomed at King's, when I applied last year I did not have to state individual module results on the UCAS application, that was optional it is up to you whether you wish to state it on UCAS but you definitely have to state the predicted deg grade. The conditions of the offer are based on you getting a certain grade/deg classification so many uni's are not really concerned about individual module marks. If your tutor has agreed to predicting you a 2.1 and you are happy with everything else in your application I think you should go ahead and apply, just make sure to work hard in third year (remember its weighted the most it can make all the difference!) Good luck :smile:

Hi! thank you so much, its never too late to hear some reassurance! :smile: My tutor has agreed so I'll definitely still give it a try, i've got nothing to lose I guess. Can I ask if you applied through the internal scheme as well? and if so how you found it?
congratulations on graduating btw! can't believe how close 3rd year is now :s
Original post by LaShy

Also I know its optional, but did you include your module grades?
Original post by getfunky!
New to the thread.

I'm having trouble getting a work experience placement. I have emailed a few hospitals through their work experience services. However, I'm not getting replies.

Does anyone have a template of what to write/include in an email to apply for work experience?

Do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance!:biggrin:

(trying to secure a placement in London, if that helps:ninja:)

Keep whatever you write really short, it saves em time and it'll be easier for them to reply if they don't have a lot to address from your message. Sounds a bit silly too, but put it in a big font, like 14 or 16, so that it stands out on the email list and is read a lot better!

Can I ask, are you applying this year or next? :smile:
Reply 799
Original post by Zedd
Some universities do look for consistently high grades from birth. However, if you are in a situation in which you either don't have enough or don't have high enough grades for a particular medical school then simply look at other schools. The great thing about England in particular is that there is a huge number of GEP, 5, and 6 year medical programmes out there with varying academic requirements. I wish there was such a selection available in Scotland!

If they had the GEP course in scotland it would be so much better, I think. I think it will eventually come to scotland but dont know when?? maybe in 20 years time, who knows.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending