The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lcsurfer
Well the UKCAT scores have been recieved...
And let these next few weeks go really fast!

I wonder how long it will take them to start sending out interviews, also I wondered if you know anything about the Barts selection for interview process? On their website it says "Applicants who meet this criteria will then be ranked against the other graduate applicants applying in that year according to their overall UKCAT score to determine which applicants to short-list for interview"

Does that mean after meeting minimum entry requirements that the UKCAT is the only deciding factor for interview? :s-smilie:
Original post by JumpingJonny
I wonder how long it will take them to start sending out interviews, also I wondered if you know anything about the Barts selection for interview process? On their website it says "Applicants who meet this criteria will then be ranked against the other graduate applicants applying in that year according to their overall UKCAT score to determine which applicants to short-list for interview"

Does that mean after meeting minimum entry requirements that the UKCAT is the only deciding factor for interview? :s-smilie:

yeah, its the same for Warwick, they will have a cut off for interview. I looked at my emails earlier and talking to a friend on twitter and we both heard off warwick on teh 9th december, KCL i heard last year a rejection on 16th November and Newcastle was the end of March for a rejection...
Its a selection center, an interview where before you watch a video and answer questions on it during the interview alongside the usual questions, a written test to test the way you think/prioritise stuff and a group exercise
Original post by lcsurfer
yeah, its the same for Warwick, they will have a cut off for interview. I looked at my emails earlier and talking to a friend on twitter and we both heard off warwick on teh 9th december, KCL i heard last year a rejection on 16th November and Newcastle was the end of March for a rejection...
Its a selection center, an interview where before you watch a video and answer questions on it during the interview alongside the usual questions, a written test to test the way you think/prioritise stuff and a group exercise

Ah that's cool, so does that mean with a UKCAT of 740 I should be guaranteed an interview with Barts and Warwick? (sounds like it will be a while before we hear then :frown:) So with all things considered the same it should only be a couple of weeks before we start to hear...scary
Original post by JumpingJonny
Ah that's cool, so does that mean with a UKCAT of 740 I should be guaranteed an interview with Barts and Warwick? (sounds like it will be a while before we hear then :frown:) So with all things considered the same it should only be a couple of weeks before we start to hear...scary

Barts you're fairly certain for one, Warwick will look at other stuff too like your personal statement/experience, but it's still mostly UKCAT.
Reply 984
I'm planning on completing a degree in psychology and then applying for GEM...however, my GCSEs aren't particularly good - A*A*A*A*AAABBBC and an A in short course R.E.

Core subjects at GCSE:
English Language & Literature: A*A*
Science: B
Maths: C

I'm particularly worried about the science GCSE - I didn't do additional or 2+ single sciences; I did all three sciences rolled into one 'foundation level' course. Will any of this affect my application or prevent me applying for GEM?

Thanks!
Original post by MattKneale
Barts you're fairly certain for one, Warwick will look at other stuff too like your personal statement/experience, but it's still mostly UKCAT.

Awesome thanks :biggrin:
Original post by la95
I'm planning on completing a degree in psychology and then applying for GEM...however, my GCSEs aren't particularly good - A*A*A*A*AAABBBC and an A in short course R.E.

Core subjects at GCSE:

I'm particularly worried about the science GCSE - I didn't do additional or 2+ single sciences; I did all three sciences rolled into one 'foundation level' course. Will any of this affect my application or prevent me applying for GEM?

Thanks!

No, doing double science won't affect it. Have you done your A-Levels yet? I wouldn't start considering GEM as an option until you've exhausted everything else, it's a long haul and it's very expensive.
Reply 987
Original post by Witty Username
No, doing double science won't affect it. Have you done your A-Levels yet? I wouldn't start considering GEM as an option until you've exhausted everything else, it's a long haul and it's very expensive.

I didn't do double science, that's why I'm concerned. :P

I'm currently studying for my A Levels, predicted AAA but hoping for at least A*A*A, but no sciences. The reason I see GEM as the best option is because if I wanted to apply via the more traditional route, I'd have to sit two more years of A Levels and all in all it would take the same amount of time as GEM anyway.

Of these two options, i.e. doing two more years of A Levels (Chemistry, Biology, Maths) and then applying for a 5-year course, or studying for a psychology degree and then applying for GEM, which do you think would give me the best chance of getting a place at medical school? Bearing in mind my B in GCSE Science (not additional, double or single science - a kind of three-sciences-in-one foundation-level GCSE) and C in GCSE Maths?
Original post by la95

Core subjects at GCSE:

Thanks!

If you are doing chemistry and biology I would expect it would be okay if you only did single science. However you should check the individual medical schools' entry requirements. Is there a reason you didn't do double/additional science? Are you eligible for the widening access course like the extended degree at KCL or the BM6 course at Southampton?

I would advise (like others) that you exhaust all other options before embarking on a path toward GEM. The value of doing a psychology course first vs intercalating will be minimal or nonexistent. The current financial arrangements for GEM course are not fixed, they are only set until the 2014/15 entry, after that who knows. Fees could easily rise again, I personally didn't see the 9 grand fees coming and it massively limited my options.

The effect of your GCSEs on a GEM application will be small and limited to only a few universities (Birmingham and leicester spring to mind). Psychology is not the best course to choose if you are only doing it to apply for GEM, it will slightly limit your options. Why have you chosen psychology?

Edit: just saw your new post. That does complicate things a bit. I would check with individual medical schools regarding their opinion on you doing a new set of A levels. If they would accept it I would advise doing that, as I cant stress enough the difficulty of getting a GEM place and the uncertainty around the funding situation. Also, its a bit late but did you consider courses with a foundation year like at Manchester and Bristol?
This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by la95
I didn't do double science, that's why I'm concerned. :P

I'm currently studying for my A Levels, predicted AAA but hoping for at least A*A*A, but no sciences. The reason I see GEM as the best option is because if I wanted to apply via the more traditional route, I'd have to sit two more years of A Levels and all in all it would take the same amount of time as GEM anyway.

Of these two options, i.e. doing two more years of A Levels (Chemistry, Biology, Maths) and then applying for a 5-year course, or studying for a psychology degree and then applying for GEM, which do you think would give me the best chance of getting a place at medical school? Bearing in mind my B in GCSE Science (not additional, double or single science - a kind of three-sciences-in-one foundation-level GCSE) and C in GCSE Maths?

Not GEM, the competition is crazy for places (50:1 ratio at some places iirc) if I were you, I'd look into doing a foundation medicine degree (so 6 years in total) for people who haven't done science A Levels. Off the top of my head I know Manchester offers this, but there are several other courses out there too.

After looking at the wiki (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs) it seems you'd also be eligible for Bristol*, Cardiff*, Dundee, and Sheffield - double check with the *ones about your GCSEs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 990
Guys, do you think I stand a chance or are my A levels too low?

My A Levels are shockingly bad. DDE in biology, English and photography.

I have a first class honours in biomedical science.

I currently work in neurology for both NHS and Oxford Uni. I do daily dissections with brain and spinal cord with consultants, for diagnostic and research purposes. I also supervise some of the oxford med students when we are cutting a interesting case. I also worked in haematology in the royal Marsden hospital.

I have one years experience working as a volunteer hca in acute cardiac unit and then at an elderly unit. I also volunteered for multiple charities.

Do I have chance? I know its about what you learn from it but should i do more work experience.
Is it matter of applying for unis which don't look at A levels? or am i doomed to fail? I'm gonna do the gamsat as I've done ukcat twice and only get 600-620.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently doing a nursing degree I have basic gcses like C and B grades. I don't have A levels I have an access to nursing course. I'm on track for a 1st. Would you advise I apply for the 2 universities I know that don't consider your a levels or gcses with UKCAT and get a great score or try and sit the UKCAT and GAMSAT to give me 4 choices instead of 2?
Original post by Connor S
Guys, do you think I stand a chance or are my A levels too low?

My A Levels are shockingly bad. DDE in biology, English and photography.

I have a first class honours in biomedical science.

I currently work in neurology for both NHS and Oxford Uni. I do daily dissections with brain and spinal cord with consultants, for diagnostic and research purposes. I also supervise some of the oxford med students when we are cutting a interesting case. I also worked in haematology in the royal Marsden hospital.

I have one years experience working as a volunteer hca in acute cardiac unit and then at an elderly unit. I also volunteered for multiple charities.

Do I have chance? I know its about what you learn from it but should i do more work experience.
Is it matter of applying for unis which don't look at A levels? or am i doomed to fail? I'm gonna do the gamsat as I've done ukcat twice and only get 600-620.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You definitely have a chance.. A handful of universities are fussed about your academic history.

With a 1st class degree, maybe you could try applying to Birmingham.. Also if ukcat is not for you, work hard at gamsat and apply to st George's, Nottingham and Swansea.. Your work experience seems more than adequate to me. That's as long as you feel you gained from them.

If you need any gamsat tips just ask.

Original post by LauraJ.123
I'm currently doing a nursing degree I have basic gcses like C and B grades. I don't have A levels I have an access to nursing course. I'm on track for a 1st. Would you advise I apply for the 2 universities I know that don't consider your a levels or gcses with UKCAT and get a great score or try and sit the UKCAT and GAMSAT to give me 4 choices instead of 2?

Gamsat is a lot of work for a non-science grad so only do it if you're prepared to study hard, you wouldn't want it to indirectly compromise your ukcat efforts..
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Biochemical Wizard
You definitely have a chance.. A handful of universities are fussed about your academic history.

With a 1st class degree, maybe you could try applying to Birmingham.. Also if ukcat is not for you, work hard at gamsat and apply to st George's, Nottingham and Swansea.. Your work experience seems more than adequate to me. That's as long as you feel you gained from them.

If you need any gamsat tips just ask.

Gamsat is a lot of work for a non-science grad so only do it if you're prepared to study hard, you wouldn't want it to indirectly compromise your ukcat efforts..

That's what I was worried about but with UKCAT I'm limited to 3 choices which would be Newcastle, Warwick and Barts. With GAMSAT I would be able to apply for St Georges and Nottingham instead of Barts. Warwick is my first choice so GAMSAT seems like a lot of work but I have less choice without it. Difficult decision :frown:
That's what I was worried about but with UKCAT I'm limited to 3 choices which would be Newcastle, Warwick and Barts. With GAMSAT I would be able to apply for St Georges and Nottingham instead of Barts. Warwick is my first choice so GAMSAT seems like a lot of work but I have less choice without it. Difficult decision :frown:

UKCAT is hard to prepare for, anything can happen on the day.. Also unless you achieve an exceptionally high ukcat score you may still get a rejection without an interview.

GAMSAT too is difficult to prepare for, but in a different way. If you put a lot of effort into it you are more likely to get a consistent set of results as opposed to the UKCAT. However developing the necessary aptitude is difficult, and you have to be very determined. With a score above the set threshold you are GUARANTEED an interview with st George's and notts... As long as you have sufficient work experience.

Are you planning to apply this year?
UKCAT is hard to prepare for, anything can happen on the day.. Also unless you achieve an exceptionally high ukcat score you may still get a rejection without an interview.

GAMSAT too is difficult to prepare for, but in a different way. If you put a lot of effort into it you are more likely to get a consistent set of results as opposed to the UKCAT. However developing the necessary aptitude is difficult, and you have to be very determined. With a score above the set threshold you are GUARANTEED an interview with st George's and notts... As long as you have sufficient work experience.

Are you planning to apply this year?

2015 entry so it gives me a year prep for both starting in september but I've looked at the GAMSAT past papers and it doesn't look that difficult the literature parts I'm good at so the main prep would be for the sciences we do a large part of biology on the nursing degree and I was able to answer the biology questions. So what would you suggest? I was in a car accident at 15 and spent a year rehabilitating so I did average in gcses and decided not to go on with a levels and travel instead. I do have lots of experience as I work in a operating theatre, the surgeons I work with have let me shadow them as they know i'm interested in medicine and are very supportive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi,

I'm a TSR virgin so please be nice but honest! :smile:

I don't really have a question but just require a bit of feedback on my current plan of action.

I am currently in my 2nd year of an Anatomy degree at Liverpool uni and hoping to apply to GEM. My chequered academic past means that I am limited to schools I can apply for. Warwick, Newcastle, Liverpool (their criteria for GEM is under review so fingers crossed) and Nottingham being my preferred choices.

However, due to a very busy summer coming up (shadowing work, a research project for the Wellcome trust and the UKCAT prep, I have decided to postpone the GAMSAT for this year as I don't think I can give it the time that it warrants.

This does discount Nottingham for this year but I hope I'm making the right decision.

Any opinions or words of a calming nature will be most appreciated. Thanks :confused:
2015 entry so it gives me a year prep for both starting in september but I've looked at the GAMSAT past papers and it doesn't look that difficult the literature parts I'm good at so the main prep would be for the sciences we do a large part of biology on the nursing degree and I was able to answer the biology questions. So what would you suggest? I was in a car accident at 15 and spent a year rehabilitating so I did average in gcses and decided not to go on with a levels and travel instead. I do have lots of experience as I work in a operating theatre, the surgeons I work with have let me shadow them as they know i'm interested in medicine and are very supportive.

Well if the past papers don't appear to be too difficult then go ahead with GAMSAT. Just bear in mind that the first two sections usually require little to know preparation. The biology is always quite simple. Most people usually have difficulty with the chemistry and physics.

You have more then enough time to prepare, plus you can sit the exam in March & September 2014. Just make sure you plan and put effort to sticking to your plan. Learn the concepts and practice for time management.

Original post by AndrewRoss
Hi,

I'm a TSR virgin so please be nice but honest! :smile:

I don't really have a question but just require a bit of feedback on my current plan of action.

I am currently in my 2nd year of an Anatomy degree at Liverpool uni and hoping to apply to GEM. My chequered academic past means that I am limited to schools I can apply for. Warwick, Newcastle, Liverpool (their criteria for GEM is under review so fingers crossed) and Nottingham being my preferred choices.

However, due to a very busy summer coming up (shadowing work, a research project for the Wellcome trust and the UKCAT prep, I have decided to postpone the GAMSAT for this year as I don't think I can give it the time that it warrants.

This does discount Nottingham for this year but I hope I'm making the right decision.

Any opinions or words of a calming nature will be most appreciated. Thanks :confused:

Do what is right for you.
Well if the past papers don't appear to be too difficult then go ahead with GAMSAT. Just bear in mind that the first two sections usually require little to know preparation. The biology is always quite simple. Most people usually have difficulty with the chemistry and physics.

You have more then enough time to prepare, plus you can sit the exam in March & September 2014. Just make sure you plan and put effort to sticking to your plan. Learn the concepts and practice for time management.

Thank you I will take the plunge and go for both, if not I can always re apply when I have my degree classification and a years work as a nurse which will help.
Reply 999
removed.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending