The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Graduate Entry Medicine

Please ask all questions regarding GEM in this thread. All current and further threads will be merged.

Introduction

Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) is a special course that medical schools provide that is tailored towards those who have a previous degree in a science or non-science discipline, or those who have postgraduate qualifications. It is also known as "accelerated entry medicine" due to the shortened nature of the course - it only takes 4 years instead of the usual 5 or 6. The courses were introduced in 2001 as a way to reducing the deficit of qualified doctors in the UK. Ten years on they are proving to be popular for those who fancy a subject/career change and the admissions stats show this quite clearly!

Funding for GEM Courses for 2011 Entry

Currently for English students:
The fees in this year are set at £3375 and are set to rise with inflation in each year.
In year 1, students are entitled to apply to the SLC for a maintenance loan only. No tuition fee loan or maintenance grant is available. Bursaries may be available at some universities to help.
In year 2-4, students can apply to the SLC for a reduced maintenance loan (half the maximum amount). Students can also apply to the NHS for a tuition fee grant to cover tuition fees (£3375) as well as a maintenance grant that is means-tested.

Details can be found here.

Funding for GEM Courses for 2012 Entry

The fees in this year are set at £9000 and are set to rise with inflation in each year.
In year 1, students are entitled to apply to the SLC for a maintenance loan. Students will need to pay the first £3375 of the tuition fee and can apply for a tuition fee loan of £5625. No maintenance grant is available. Bursaries may be available at some universities to help.
In year 2-4, students can apply to the SLC for a reduced maintenance loan (half the maximum amount) as well as tuition fee loan of £5625. Students can also apply to the NHS for a tuition fee grant to cover £3375 of the tuition fees.

Details can be found here and here.

Funding for GEM Courses for 2013 Entry

The fees in this year are set at £9000 and are set to rise with inflation in each year.
In year 1, students are entitled to apply to the SLC for a maintenance loan. Students will need to pay the first £3465 of the tuition fee and can apply for a tuition fee loan of £5625 to cover the remaining fee. No maintenance grant is available. Bursaries may be available at some universities to help. A maintenance loan is available.
In year 2-4, students can apply to the SLC for a reduced maintenance loan (half the maximum amount) as well as tuition fee loan of £5625. Students can also apply to the NHS for a tuition fee grant to cover £3465 of the tuition fees. An NHS bursary for maintenance is also available.

There are similar arrangements set in place for 2014 entry. The funding situation for 2015 entry is yet to be announced.

The NHS Bursary calculator can be found here.
The SLC calculator can be found here.

FAQ:

Q: If I have a degree, can I apply to graduate entry medicine?

A: Yes you can as long as you have a 2.2 or higher.

Q: I don't have a science degree, can I still apply for graduate entry medicine?

A: Yes you can although you will have a limited choice in medical school you can apply for. A full list of GEM/GEP courses with entry requirements can be found here.

Q: Do I have to sit an entrance exam to apply for graduate entry medicine?

A: It depends entirely on the medical school you want to apply for. Some do not use a entrance test (Birmingham), some use the UKCAT (King's, Barts ect) and some use the GAMSAT (St George's ect). You may sit the BMAT if you wish to apply to the Cambridge course in graduate medicine but do not meet the pre-medical requirements.
A full list of GEM/GEP courses with entrance exams used can be found here.

Q: Do I need medical work experience/shadowing?

A: The short answer is yes you do. It doesn't have to be very long as medical schools know it is difficult to arrange work experience. It is more important to reflect well on what you have learnt. It is quality over quantity.

For More Information

If you want to find out more about Graduate Entry Medicine, ask your question in this thread or check out the Gradate Entry Medicine - A Guide page on the TSR Medicine Wiki.

If you are applying for GEM, come and join this this thread.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi everyone,

Does anybody else also fears a medical interview as much as me?? I was wondering if there are any medical schools that offer postgraduate entry (GEP) where the admission process does not include interview? I know of Southampton, is there any more? Please reply if you know, just drop the name and that's all. I'd be very grateful for ay replies!

Best regards!
Reply 2
Southampton is the only one I know of.
Reply 3
Selecting medical school based on whether they interview or not is not the way to go.

Southampton, you'll have to look extremely good on paper though.
Reply 4
Hi, this is my first time on the forum so be kind!

I'm wanting to apply for a 4 year fast-track medicine for September 2012 after having graduated from my first degree in 2004. I'm wanting a career change and after months of procrastination over it am going to take the plunge and try medicine.

Now, after speaking to a few unis (latest being Newcastle yesterday), they seem to want me to have had experience of an academic setting within the past 3 years. Having been in work for the past 7, that's not the case for me.

In preparation for applying to the courses I've bought myself the AQA A-Level biology and chemistry books to study to get myself back up to speed (not perfect, but seemed the best way at the moment to refresh myself).

Has anyone got advice for someone in my position to better my chances of getting an interview when I apply for the courses in October?

Adam

EDIT

Thought it'd be worthwhile saying that I have the qualifications to apply to a few of the unis that offer the 4 year course. I've a B in chemistry A-Level, 2:1 degree in maths and computer science and volunteering work under my belt. I'm taking UKCAT in September. I unfortunately can't take GAMSAT this year due to commitments on the one day you can sit it (can't believe there's only one date!!) so if I'm unsuccessful this year I'll take both UKCAT and GAMSAT next year.
(edited 12 years ago)
You will find people will be able to answer your questions in the graduate entry forum. You can find it here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1021440 I don't really know what to say, however AFAIK some uni's class taking the GAMSAT as proof of recent academic studying/learning/environment what ever you want to call it; it's just a pity you can't do it this year. I would however suggest that you don't apply to just the 4 year courses - they are so damn competitive. I would if i was you at least apply to one 5 year course as this may increase your chances of getting an offer. This year i split my choices 50/50 (2 GEP courses and 2 standard courses) and i got an offer. The year before i only applied to GEP courses and didn't even get an interview. Good luck what ever you do though.
Reply 6
Original post by Sparko13
I would if i was you at least apply to one 5 year course as this may increase your chances of getting an offer. This year i split my choices 50/50 (2 GEP courses and 2 standard courses) and i got an offer.

Depends if he can afford it though, don't see any funding coming for the 5 year course anytime soon.

OP if you've saved up around 36k+ go for it, I don't know your financial situation, but maybe you can if you've been working for the past 7 years.
Reply 7
god, I wish I could afford the 5 year course!

Bottom line is, 4 year course is my only option due to money - no way I can afford the £9k a year for the 5 year course and I won't be able to get a tution fee loan as this is my second degree.

@Sparko13

Are you suggesting that it's a good idea to apply for 5 year courses even though I'm not planning on undertaking that particular course?
Original post by adsyrah
god, I wish I could afford the 5 year course!

Bottom line is, 4 year course is my only option due to money - no way I can afford the £9k a year for the 5 year course and I won't be able to get a tution fee loan as this is my second degree.

@Sparko13

Are you suggesting that it's a good idea to apply for 5 year courses even though I'm not planning on undertaking that particular course?

Perhaps i wasn't clear. My offer was for a 5 year course. I am not suggesting applying to a 5 year course would enhance your chance of getting an offer for a 4 year course. If for financial reasons you can only apply to 4 year courses then only apply to 4 year courses. I know i am going to struggle with finances on the 5 year course and that's when the fees are only what £3.5K - i could never afford £9k fees!
Reply 9
Hi, my friend will soon be graduating from his degree in law and he really doesn't want to pursuit a career in law and aspires to be a doctor. The problem is with universities such as Birmingham, the GCSE requirement is 7A* minimum, so would you advise he retakes his GCSEs? He wants to have a chance to re-choose his a-levels, so would he have to enroll in college and start sixth from scratch?

Thanks
Reply 10
How old is this guy!!
That probably is a possibility but why would he do that? Who wants to have to do their GCSEs all over again just for one university?!

There are people on my course that have non-science related degrees. Granted he can't apply for graduate entry medicine, but has to meet the A level requirements as far as I am aware for the 5 year courses! He cam sit these exams privately without having to go back to sixth form. S
My sister's friend did a degree in law, and then medicine. So it is possible. How bad are the GCSE's? You don't need 7, he has a degree and that might help him.
Reply 13
Original post by mangostrawberry
My sister's friend did a degree in law, and then medicine. So it is possible. How bad are the GCSE's? You don't need 7, he has a degree and that might help him.

But the a levels that he has are irrelevant, so will he have to learn it all privately again?
Reply 14
*pursue ... Good luck with that.
Reply 15
Original post by ummm
*pursue ... Good luck with that.

Thankfully i'm not the one after the medicine degree :P
Original post by KayK
Hi, my friend will soon be graduating from his degree in law and he really doesn't want to pursuit a career in law and aspires to be a doctor. The problem is with universities such as Birmingham, the GCSE requirement is 7A* minimum, so would you advise he retakes his GCSEs? He wants to have a chance to re-choose his a-levels, so would he have to enroll in college and start sixth from scratch?

Thanks

No, that is silly. He should look at applying to graduate entry medicine. There are some courses that accept applicants with non-science degrees. A full list of GEP courses can be found here.

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

The entry requirements are also shown. He may have to pick up A-level Chemistry or Biology though.
Reply 17
Original post by KayK
Thankfully i'm not the one after the medicine degree :P

Haha, I spelt that word wrong for years! :smile:
Reply 18
This isn't for me, for my friend.
He wants to apply to do graduate medicine in the final year of his degree (he is currently just about to go into his 2nd year studying Engineering at Durham).
Excellent A levels (A*s and As) and very good GCSEs.
He does a lot of volunteering for St. John Ambulance.
He doesnt have biology or chemistry A levels but he's sussed out the med schools where you can apply without for grad entry.
The massive problem is he's so worried that he won't get in and its causing a lot of stress- it's all he ever seems to talk about and what really gets him down.
I've tried to tell him that he stands a good a chance as anyone as long as he gets some decent work experience but he looks at the horrific stats (45-60 applicants per place or something crazy) and just gets scared.

Does anyone have any advice on how he should make sure his application is as good as it can be or how I can make him see that its too early to be this worried.

Thanks
Reply 19
There is a lot of advice on the TSR Medicine wiki. There is a GEM-specific page here that might be useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending