The Student Room Group

No social life in sixth form, will it get better at uni?

I go to a pretty small sixth form college and im really unhappy. ive lost loads of friends over the years and i just cant bear it here anymore. Its been getting me down as i have only two friends left and i just wish i could just go out and enjoy my summer with lots of friends. its a private school and its just full of rich, privilleged kids and i stick out like a sore thumb because im not like that..

will it be easier and more happier at uni? I always hear how at uni things are so much better socially, theres less snobbery and everyone is on level and keen to make friends. experiences please?
Why are you asking us? None of us know you personally. Fair enough you had a rough time at 6th form but at Uni it is down to you to make the effort and to ensure you have a social life.
Its not going to get better all by itself, but you will have an opportunity to make it much better, a big opportunity at that.

There will still be snobbery (The amount depending on where exactly you are/what you study) but there are so many people at uni that it isnt that difficult to find people on the same wavelength. It's a lot more difficult to stick out like a sore thumb.
Reply 3
I'm sure that going to uni could mean a fresh start if you were moving away from home. New environment, new people - I'm sure you'll be able to make loads new friends.

I'm going to be applying for uni this year so I'm looking foward to moving away and being with a whole new group of people :smile:
Reply 4
You have the opportunity sure

More people means you're more likely to find people you get on with. And people are also more likely to want to make friends instead of being comfortable sticking in their friend groups they already have.

But you still have to make the effort. If you feel you're uninterested or don't try you won't make very close or good friends. I'm sure it will get better for you though
Original post by Bslforever
There will still be snobbery (The amount depending on where exactly you are/what you study)

Which subjects are prone to snobbery?
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
Which subjects are prone to snobbery?

Now there's an argument waiting to happen :smile: I think i'll stay out of that one :ninja:
Original post by Bslforever
Now there's an argument waiting to happen :smile: I think i'll stay out of that one :ninja:

I'm just interested, cos I haven't started uni yet and want to know what my subject is like :tongue: PM me your thoughts if you want, I'm not looking to argue :colondollar:
Reply 8
One of the problems with people saying things get better at uni is people expect them to just get better with no effort... But as long as you're willing to make a completely fresh start, go with no chip on your shoulder and just join in and chat to people, you'll do great. Uni really is the most open, accepting environment... Definitely less snobbery. You'll be fine :smile:
Reply 9
I can tell you, from experience, that YES, it will be a lot better.

I went to a tiny 6th Form and had a handful of friends there since many of my friends school took many different paths after school. Most people at my 6th Form had also attended the school next door to it and there were just so many cliquey groups. It's not that they were particularly unfriendly - that sort of thing stops at 16-18, just that noone would every really speak to anyone outside of their group. I never went to the socials/ parties or anything as they'd just be awkward.

At uni there will be every different type of person you can imagine and everyone is in the same boat - with no friends! My advice would be, just strike up a conversation with anyone and everyone because 9 times out of 10 they will be so glad someone else has made the first move! Your confidence will rocket during Freshers week and the opportunities to meet new people are literally endless. There will also be a million different types of activities, so you'll be able to participate in whatever you enjoy doing.

Good luck! :smile:
It'll get a lot better. You'll find people are a lot more relaxed and friendlier at Uni.

I hope it gets better for you!
Whether or not your social life gets better depends on a few things - obviously if you are going to be on a very intensive course with high expectations of you workload-wise, it will be different to a "lighter" course.

Speaking VERY generally, chances are it will be better. Often sixth forms have stupid rules like expecting you to be at school all day even when you don't have lessons etc. This is actually counter productive as chances are you're too busy feeling ****ty you have to be at school to bother picking up your books and getting on with coursework etc. Obviously at uni, there won't be that expectation. Your free time is your own and you will be trusted as an adult to use your time responsibly and to create your own work/life balance, on the condition that ultimately, if you get pissed all the time and never do any work, you will be the one to pay for it via your grades - no one is there to babysit you. Also, you will find on MOST courses that you will have far less hours than you have currently per week. In my first year, I think I had about 8 hours a week of lectures and maybe 5 hours a week of seminars, so when you think about a whole week, that's a lot of free time, even factoring in your homework.

As for the friends thing, it will get better. Unless you went to a really traditional uni, you will find you'll be mixing with a lot of different people from all walks of life and will probably be living in halls with a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds. In my 1st year, every single person I lived with was a different nationality and a real mix of how well off we all were, so it was great! You'll also find unis usually have what they call a student union which is a club on campus for the students which will have theme nights etc and unis usually put a lot of effort and money into arranging social events for students. As long as you make the effort to get chatting to people and get to know them, you will have ample opportunities to meet new friends.

My advice would be - I've been there and I totally know what its like - I only had the 1 friend by the end of college and thought it would always be like that. Just suck it up, get through it, focus on your exams...and then when it comes to first year you have a lot of living to do! Work hard play hard!
Don't worry in Uni you will meet different people, strange people, people of different classes and your circle will be enormous!

Just an advice, stick to University Halls and choose one which is has a very good social atmosphere then you will have an endless epic time

Ex: In University of Manchester i would recommend you to stay in Fallow field area.
Probably not. Weird people are just weird. However, at uni there are loads of weirdos. So you may find a few friends.
Reply 14
Original post by Alexisonfire
Probably not. Weird people are just weird. However, at uni there are loads of weirdos. So you may find a few friends.

The weirdest, most outcast guy in my year went to uni, joined societies, went to every party he was invited to and tagged along to a few more, and now has huge numbers of friends and a girlfriend :tongue: You reap what you sow I think.
Reply 15
Yeah im pretty certain it'll be easier at uni
Reply 16
thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending