The Student Room Group

im really struggling at uni

socially its so lonely, no one likes me
academically, just passing assignments, lecturers advice not helping. came to do the course I love but didn't expect so much writing. better at the practical side.
went from having no friends at sixth form to no friends at uni
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear this :frown:

Have you tried to make friends? - do you go to societies and try to participate in social activities?

The transition between sixth form and university can be challenging. You're largely left to your own devices and left to figure things out on your own. This does mean that you sometimes don't perform as well as you're able to until you figure things out. Have you yold your lecturers that their advice isn't helping you? Maybe you can also try to get in touch with somebody doing your course in the year above you, who has already gone through the year and can hopefully give you some useful advice.
Original post by Anonymous #1
academically, just passing assignments, lecturers advice not helping. came to do the course I love but didn't expect so much writing. better at the practical side.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this. What course are you doing? What advice have you received from lecturers?

When it comes to friends, I've mostly met mine in my everyday life e.g. in lectures, in the library. I think that the key here is to just let yourself relax and be yourself. It'll get easier 🙂

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 3
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this. What course are you doing? What advice have you received from lecturers?

When it comes to friends, I've mostly met mine in my everyday life e.g. in lectures, in the library. I think that the key here is to just let yourself relax and be yourself. It'll get easier 🙂

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Im doing Film and TV production, I know its not like secondary but I was expecting a bit more help since its all quite new (I did film studies at sixth form but that was more history based rather than all the technical things) plus there's people with experience on the course so I think they assume we all can understand it easily when I can't and I feel like such a failure
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear this :frown:

Have you tried to make friends? - do you go to societies and try to participate in social activities?

The transition between sixth form and university can be challenging. You're largely left to your own devices and left to figure things out on your own. This does mean that you sometimes don't perform as well as you're able to until you figure things out. Have you yold your lecturers that their advice isn't helping you? Maybe you can also try to get in touch with somebody doing your course in the year above you, who has already gone through the year and can hopefully give you some useful advice.

I have tried, i'm quite a nervous person so its probably my own fault not having a lot to talk about and stuttering. a lot of the events are quite late and I have to travel 2 hours to get home so I suppose that doesn't help. that's a good idea hopefully they'd be alright with giving me some advice
Anon, sorry to hear you're feeling this way ☹️ It's definitely a big challenge but please know you're not alone. It can feel that way when you're not settling in like you'd hoped but I guarantee others feel the same. You're absolutely not a failure 🥰

Why don't you use the upcoming break as a refresh button and come back for the new term with a fresh start. Speak to people from home that know you best and let them know how you're feeling so they can support as best as they can. Once you're back, maybe consider joining one of the smaller societies so if you're feeling nervous it won't feel mega overwhelming. Some universities will have a 'commuting students' society you could maybe look out for! Are there any support teams within the Students Union that might be able to help too? I know our uni has a 'Hear to Listen' team where students can go and chat to volunteers about anything they want - maybe look for something similar on your campus?

I'd definitely echo asking for the academic advice. You may have an advisor of studies who isn't as intimidating as your tutors who can advocate for you?

Sending you tons of good wishes, I know it's hard but asking for help on here is a great start.

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
(edited 4 months ago)

Anon,

Are you off home for the holidays? If so, hopefully just being around family will hopefully rebuild your confidence and help you feel better in general about things : )

It's not easy to make friends but that doesn't mean that people don't like you! It may be that they haven't had a chance to get to know you very well. It may be that they are shy and are not sure what to talk about. It may be that they are very busy and so dash off once lectures are finished. There may be many reasons, but if you believe that people don't like you or that you are not likeable then you will give off negative body language which will prevent people who do want to be friends from approaching you, so do think about how may be coming across to others.

Try not to isolate yourself. It's very easy to do this when you don't feel very confident or when your nervous or shy, but the more you withdraw from social activities, the more difficult it will be to form those friendships that you want. So though it is tough, do try and attend different events, societies, lectures (sit next to someone!) which may help you get to know different people and help you feel more comfortable.

You are passing assignments which is good, though of course it's great that you want to do better than just pass! It may be that because you are feeling low, that this is also decreasing your motivation or focus for your assignments. It may be that once you feel better about yourself that your marks will also get better, though it also sounds like you are struggling with writing.

Are there sessions that you can attend to help with your writing? Have you tried booking an appointment with a member of the academic support team who you could look over your work with you? The knowledge may be there but it could be the way you are structuring your writing, the references you are using or because you are not writing critically enough that your marks are not where you want them to be. It might be that you are not answering the question according to what they are marking you on. It might be useful to look at the marking criteria for your assignments. Do you know if there will be less writing next year? If you love the course, if you can overcome the writing part then you can still do really well, even if it is not as practical as you would have liked.

There is a lot to adjust to at university and it's difficult to know the best way to approach different things, but talking to people and getting advice can really help, so do reach out to others. Do talk to your tutor. They might be able to give some useful advice or reassure you. Talk to family. Maybe a weekly phone call or a biweekly phone call might help you feel less isolated. Do seek support, if you are worried about your mental health. Reach out to services at your university or speak to your GP.

Hope things improve in the New Year.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there

I am sorry to hear this. It takes time to settle into University and make friends, I am sure there are many opportunities out there for you to meet new people. Have you tried going to some societies that interest you? These are really good ways to meet people who have similar interests and hobbies as you. Another thing I would recommend is speaking to those in the same course or class as you. You could also have a look at any opportunities available on the student Union website. There may be things such as group events, coffee chats, or walking buddies.

Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying the course so far. It can be difficult to understand the content to begin with, especially if you do not have prior knowledge of the topic. However, this does improve overtime, you will gain a better understanding of different modules if you keep trying to complete your seminars. I hope this helps. Remember that you are not alone at University, there are many wellbeing and support teams available, and you could always speak with your family over a phone call if you need to.

Good luck :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Im doing Film and TV production, I know its not like secondary but I was expecting a bit more help since its all quite new (I did film studies at sixth form but that was more history based rather than all the technical things) plus there's people with experience on the course so I think they assume we all can understand it easily when I can't and I feel like such a failure

As this is more practical, I'm sure there are ways you can improve over time. This could potentially be a good opportunity to meet and chat with other students on your course with similar struggles and you can work it out together. This is actually how I've bonded with a lot of uni friends.

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling this way. It can be really tough to make friends at university and find your place, so hopefully some of the advice you receive here can reassure and help you.

Starting university is a big change from sixth form, so it can take a while for people to settle in. It might be useful to let your lecturers know that their advice isn't helping, to seek out other lecturers/staff, or to get in touch with other students. Many of these people are here to help you through your time there, so you should speak up if something isn't working out.

Since you've mentioned you travel home for a long time, it might be a good idea to try and get to know people on your course. This could be as simple as saying hello, asking about the content, or inviting them to grab coffee and/or study together.

It can be tough, but it might just take some time.

Best of luck,

Isabella 🙂
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling at university. First year can be really difficult for lots of reasons and it can be hard to find people you click with. Sometimes the course at the beginning can seem really hard and not at all as you expected but you will likely get into the flow of it soon once you have been doing it for abit longer.
I found the transition between sixth form and uni quite difficult especially the aspect of living independently for the first time, but it does get easier as time goes on.

In terms of making friends I think that societies are the best way to meet people who are similar to you. If you join societies you are interested in you will meet people who are interested in the same things and therefore it is easier to make friends

I hope this helps
Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland

Im sure at university some people are in the same shoes as you, i would say get out of your comfort zone and join societies that you might find interesting and you get a chance to meet new people.
Hi,
I can see you're going through a hard time, and I want you to know that your feelings are valid. University life can be overwhelming, especially when it feels like you're managing multiple pressures.

Making friends is hard at the best of times, never mind in a new environment. It's okay not to have everything figured out immediately.

Consider exploring clubs or societies aligned with your interests to meet like-minded individuals as other people have suggested.

Talking to friends and family back home over the phone helps you not feel so alone. Look into any events or activities that interest you within your area, and even think about applying for a part-time job or volunteer you never know you might make friends that way!
I understand the unexpected amount of writing can be frustrating. Maybe look into what academic skills services your university has to offer so you can practice. The more you write academically the more you get used to it.

Make sure to look into your university's wellbeing services they could offer valuable support, especially if you are feeling lonely it is great to talk to someone about what is going on.

Take care,

Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending