The Student Room Group

HELP I hate my uni and want to go to a different one

Currently I study at Keele University and it was like the worst decision of my life its so boring here the nightlife is nonexistent and the people here are so cliquey. I’m currently in my second semester and I know it’s unlikely to be able to transfer now but I was wondering how I go about applying to start again as a first year at a different uni in September. Do I just do a UCAS application and send it off and see what happens? But I need references do I have to contact my old sixth form college? I’m really confused also I haven’t definitely decided that I want to leave yet so can I apply to another uni whilst still attending this one until I get accepted and then can decide.
Thank you,
A victim of Keele University
Reply 1
If you finish your first year you might be able to transfer and start your second year at a different university. Do you think you could stay where you are till then? If so it would be worth thinking about where you'd like to go and seeing if they take second year students. It would be a lot easier that way than dropping out and having to start all over again. I expect it will depend on the university, the course you're doing, whether you want to change course and how popular the course is. Worth considering though.
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/getting-student-support/changing-or-leaving-your-course#transferring-to-a-course-at-a-different-university-or-college
Original post by Imboreddd101
Currently I study at Keele University and it was like the worst decision of my life its so boring here the nightlife is nonexistent and the people here are so cliquey. I’m currently in my second semester and I know it’s unlikely to be able to transfer now but I was wondering how I go about applying to start again as a first year at a different uni in September. Do I just do a UCAS application and send it off and see what happens? But I need references do I have to contact my old sixth form college? I’m really confused also I haven’t definitely decided that I want to leave yet so can I apply to another uni whilst still attending this one until I get accepted and then can decide.
Thank you,

Hi!

I'm sorry you feel this way and it is really a shame that you are not enjoying the university to its fullest (or even at all, from the sound of it).
Yes, to reapply again you have to start and submit a completely new UCAS application. This would mean you will need references again, for which it would be best to contact your old sixth form. You will also have to submit a new personal statement (in theory it can be the same one, but of course that was an old you and therefore it is no longer representative of you as a candidate). Aside from that, it will be very similar to the UCAS application process you've already experienced. Check out this page for a bit more information: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/ask/reapplying

Hope you either get settled in or accepted to a better university and all goes well!
Polina,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador.
You would need to reapply but it is likely you will need to get a reference from your current university. Speak to your personal tutor. This situation happens to loads of students and you have 1 year as a bonus year of student funding for this purpose which you can use proving you havent used it before or for a foundation year.
Original post by Imboreddd101
Thank you,

Hi @Imboreddd101

So sorry to hear you're not enjoying your student life! I know lots of students who have changed university after not enjoying their first year, so you're definitely not alone.

To reapply completely, you will need to submit a new UCAS application, along with references and a personal statement. Be sure to visit lots of universities and pick one that has what you want - in this case, better nightlife/social life.

Wishing you the best of luck with your decision!
Mara 🙂
UoG rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending