The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don Pedro K.
It's too late now :/ You had to apply by 23rd of July :frown:

Wow you saved 300 quid
Original post by GrandMasti
I mean, is this ridiculous or what?

Set A Rule: There are eight squares or their equivalent where: triangle = 2 squares; arrow = 3 squares; circle = 4 squares
Set B Rules: There are eight circles or their equivalent where: arrow = 2 circles; triangle= 3 circles; square = 4 circles

LMAOOO some Alan Turing level code breaking skills required to figure this out in 1 minute . I saw the same question and almost gave up on doing the exam
Reply 2282
Original post by AQASUX
LMAOOO some Alan Turing level code breaking skills required to figure this out in 1 minute . I saw the same question and almost gave up on doing the exam

Alan Turing level code. Lol. I was surprised with that one. That is some good sh*t AR.
Original post by mp_x
Is there a stopwatch timer on the screen so that you can keep to time by the second or do you just have to track your timing using your own watch?

there's a timer on the screen I believe, you're not allowed to take anything in with you
Original post by GrandMasti
I mean, is this ridiculous or what?

Set A Rule: There are eight squares or their equivalent where: triangle = 2 squares; arrow = 3 squares; circle = 4 squares
Set B Rules: There are eight circles or their equivalent where: arrow = 2 circles; triangle= 3 circles; square = 4 circles

Those questions are awful, they're so stupid no-one can get those patterns! Hopefully I get none like that, mines tomorrow.
Original post by MAnnaMM
Thanks, good luck to you too :smile: Well, actually I am on a gap year and already done my A-levels, so results day is not such a big worry for me :wink:

Oh nice! Did you reapply? I'm about to go on a gap year myself.
Original post by AQASUX
Im begging someone to tell me how the official UKCAT mocks compare to the real thing. I've asked this 25 times fam. @Ebbsy you seem pretty nice and helpful

AR and QR much easier in test (I averaged 600s in mocks but 760 and 810 respectively in real thing). VR and DA harder - I usually got 800+ for both in mocks but just got 690 for both in real thing - they didn't seem hard as I was doing them but I think they might be marked harshly with that algorithm people say they use for marking
In the ukcat does the ctrl f button work has anyone tried it?
Original post by alishab97
Those questions are awful, they're so stupid no-one can get those patterns! Hopefully I get none like that, mines tomorrow.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes (if you want of course) :smile:
Reply 2289
Original post by Cpj16
In the ukcat does the ctrl f button work has anyone tried it?

Doesn't work on the official mocks.
Original post by MAnnaMM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes (if you want of course) :smile:

Thanks! I will :smile: I'm really worried for it and I don't think it's going to be that high to be honest, I just hope to get above like 2600 really.
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Oh nice! Did you reapply? I'm about to go on a gap year myself.

I was doing Physics degree at KCL at the beginning of this year, but felt like it wasn't right for me and so I'm applying for Dentistry now :smile: You know, before I wasted all my student loan on a degree I wasn't enjoying :biggrin:
Reply 2292
Hi, I did the UKCAT last year. If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them :smile:
Original post by alishab97
Thanks! I will :smile: I'm really worried for it and I don't think it's going to be that high to be honest, I just hope to get above like 2600 really.

I'm sure you'll be fine, just don't panic if something isn't going according to plan- you can pick up marks in lots of different places!
Original post by Wbif
Hi, I did the UKCAT last year. If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them :smile:

Which of the resources that you used felt like the most representative of the real exam? :smile:
Original post by Don Pedro K.
I just don't get how you are supposed to do the "which one is most likely to be true" questions in 30 seconds :/ it just seems impossible.

For such questions I use the elimination method. First start with statements that have figures or keywords that stand out, also those that have words like "most, except" the statements on medify are long and we have 5 options so it might take longer to find the correct answer than in the real thing
To someone whos done the ukcat, which is more representitive of the real exam and in what sections, the kaplan online course or medify?
Im doing really poorly on the da on medify, anyone got any tips for quantitive reasoning , is it just percentage changes, averages, ratios and proportion, have you got any quick methods to do the questions within the time limit
Original post by Wbif

Hi, which section did you find easiest in the exam? What was the comparison between online practice resources and the actual exam? Also, did you run out of time on any of the sections? Sorry to bombard you :smile:
Original post by MAnnaMM
I'm sure you'll be fine, just don't panic if something isn't going according to plan- you can pick up marks in lots of different places!

Yes I need to make sure I don't panic because I do have a tendency to panic under time pressure. My exam's at 2:30 so I'll try to relax beforehand to get into a relaxed mindset. My scores on practice tests fluctuate a lot so I really don't know what to expect
Original post by Ebbsy
I thought they were pretty representative - they were what I would say were most reflected in my exam (as you would expect as they are the official resources). My mock scores were very similar to my final results.

EDIT: Also seen lots of people saying the mocks are slightly harder for QR - I'm rubbish at this section so can't really say but probably true seeing everyone else's high QR scores! DA is also said to be harder in the exam, not due to the questions but due to the scoring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can i ask what you got in your mocks and what you got in the actual ukcat?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending