The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

I'm sitting mine tomorrow, I have had such varied results with the practice exams it has me so on edge! I sat it back in 2010 and oddly my weakest subjects (QR and DA) gave me my highest marks. Hoping that the maths gods are smiling on me tomorrow!
Original post by mollybryant82
3560 total so 890 average, did very well on my ukcat last year so that wasn't really the problem, hence why I did it today and got over with it as early as possible. Interviews let me down last year so need to concentrate on them from now on! Good luck

890?! Holy guacamole xD

Can you maybe give a breakdown how you went about preparing for it? Also how long? Thanks and well done!
Original post by Don Pedro K.
890?! Holy guacamole xD

Can you maybe give a breakdown how you went about preparing for it? Also how long? Thanks and well done!

This was my 2nd time round, I went on the Kaplan Course last year (I found it highly useful, everyone has their own opinion about these courses, all depends on how much prep you've done before the course as to whether you find it a waste of £300 or so of money) so I still had all the material from then and I have 6/7 ukcat books from amazon. I find the maths and shapes section straight forward so I didn't really go over them. Spent 2 hours a day for about 10 days on, straight after my last A2 exam then did a few mock tests over the last few days, then sat the test today!

My advice probably won't apply to yourself, so please don't hold it down as word! My best piece of advice is TIME, no matter how many times you've been told it really is the deciding factor! Really stick to the timing for each question, if you can't do it, flag it, move on and then come back to it.

Feel free to PM me, if you need any help with anything at all xx
This was my 2nd time round, I went on the Kaplan Course last year (I found it highly useful, everyone has their own opinion about these courses, all depends on how much prep you've done before the course as to whether you find it a waste of £300 or so of money) so I still had all the material from then and I have 6/7 ukcat books from amazon. I find the maths and shapes section straight forward so I didn't really go over them. Spent 2 hours a day for about 10 days on, straight after my last A2 exam then did a few mock tests over the last few days, then sat the test today!

My advice probably won't apply to yourself, so please don't hold it down as word! My best piece of advice is TIME, no matter how many times you've been told it really is the deciding factor! Really stick to the timing for each question, if you can't do it, flag it, move on and then come back to it.

Feel free to PM me, if you need any help with anything at all xx

Wow congratulations!
That's an amazing score!
I got the Kaplan course book off of a friend of mine so hopefully that will work wonders on me too lol :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mercuryman
I'm interested! :smile:

I'm interested!!!! Really struggling with VR 😢😢😢😢
Original post by Bloom77
Wow congratulations!
That's an amazing score!
I got the Kaplan course book off of a friend of mine so hopefully that will work wonders on me too lol :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! Yeah that was my centre of revision, make notes around it, little tips and I'm sure you'll do well!
Thank you very much! Yeah that was my centre of revision, make notes around it, little tips and I'm sure you'll do well!

Molly, I sent you a message but I'm not sure if you got it xD I was also wondering, what are the different types of questions you could get in each section? So like apparently for VR you get the True/False/Can't tell questions but then also another type?

Original post by Don Pedro K.
Molly, I sent you a message but I'm not sure if you got it xD I was also wondering, what are the different types of questions you could get in each section? So like apparently for VR you get the True/False/Can't tell questions but then also another type?

Via PM? Nothing in my inbox?
Via PM? Nothing in my inbox?

I sent it correctly now xD
3560 total so 890 average, did very well on my ukcat last year so that wasn't really the problem, hence why I did it today and got over with it as early as possible. Interviews let me down last year so need to concentrate on them from now on! Good luck

890, thats insane!! Very well done! :biggrin:
Reply 390
I started preparing since the 1st July and I am finding this extremely Hard with regard to time keeping and skim reading to find important text. Like the maths is basic but i find myself rushing so I end up forgetting what I have just read which leads me to getting things wrong
CAN someone HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
I Need a 700-800 score average
Reply 391
How Long would it take to get used to the questions in order for me to get fastest at selecting the right answer?
Reply 392
i got 830 in AR last year-best method is go through all the ones u got wrong and write down the patterns (i did this on medify the day before) just makes it so much easier to spot in the real thing(oh yeah watch out for double patterns).Good luck!
What are everyone's strongest/weakest sections at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by calmsmile93
Anyone sit the UKCAT today? If so, how did you find it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

VR: 590 :frown:
QR: 830 (surprised me!)
AR: 630 (also surprised me again was one of my strongest in mocks)
DA: 650 (last one to surprise me - was my strongest in tests)
SJ: Band 1

Total: 2700
Avarage: 675

Might be enough for Dundee and we'll see what happens for the rest

Now on to GAMSAT...

Good luck all
Original post by sara0928
Oh noo!! That's my utter nightmare. I had the same plan!! :frown: Thanks for the reply and good luck with your application!!

Ditto mine too was around 90-95% long comprehension type... Good luck
Reply 396
Original post by Gazoula

How long would you say the sentences probably were? Was the qr straightforward calculations or involved some steps?
They did involve steps but triaging helps you grab the easy marks and not get bogged down with the easy questions that take a long time...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gazoula

Oh damn!! Well done on your score and work hard for your GAMSAT. Mine is on Monday then i'll also be starting on GAMSAT! Thanks for letting me know.

PS. Your QR score is incredible.. Did you complete every question in time?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sara0928
Oh damn!! Well done on your score and work hard for your GAMSAT. Mine is on Monday then i'll also be starting on GAMSAT! Thanks for letting me know.

PS. Your QR score is incredible.. Did you complete every question in time?!

Sorry I thought I had managed to answer this through my mobile - evidently not :smile:

I did complete all questions in all sections in anycase but if I struggled or if a question was taking too long I guessed blindly (not even intelligently!) :smile: and moved on to pick marks up from elsewhere...

There are very easy questions but time consuming ones makes sure you can recognise these and move on (in my opinion).

And keep calm :smile:

Also my best areas tripped me up so perhaps not to get too over confident in your strong suits and give them attention too? (thats what I am assuming that I did not do so well in DA and AR) - VR not a surprise at all to be honest! :smile:

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending