The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newt1
why answer C?

Well if you were making an exam with four possible answers, where would you hide the correct one? I figure it's a good guess!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lisagee10
Well if you were making an exam with four possible answers, where would you hide the correct one? I figure it's a good guess!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't always have to be answer c, you have to make a logical guess. There is more chance of you guessing logically than just picking answer c and assuming that they will hide in the middle of the other answers. :smile:
Original post by Rose256
For graduate entry courses one would need 750+ to be safe

I suppose but I was commenting with regards to undergraduate/school leaver entry.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 583
Original post by RandomStudent97
I'd do around 30 mins of practice a day up until august where around an hour or so is probably needed. It's also wise to implement timed conditions starting august and to start mocks around mid august.

Okay thanks a lot :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 584
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1436530561.179455.jpg
Is this book good to revise from? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 585
Just finished it.

VR: 680
QR: 740
AR: 690
DA: 700
SJT band 2
Average: 702.5

Happy with that overall. Looking at last year's cutoffs, the only course that this score rules out is Newcastle. Hopefully I've just squeezed in to the Warwick interviews- time will tell!

My scores are way more consistent than I expected. I was expecting around 650 for QR and AR, 700 for VR and 750+ for DA.

VR was very similar to the official mocks. The comprehension questions were way easier than medify's. All passages were shorter than medify's, they rarely took up the whole page. I managed to finish before the timer ran out, but didn't manage to review all of my flagged questions.

QR was pretty easy. As others have said, the real thing is much more like the official short mock than the official full length mocks. Similar difficulty to medify. I may as well have not used the 600Q book, it didn't help at all for me. Timing was ok, I guessed a few and didn't get to go back to them but I think that's the case for most people.

AR- similar to official mock 1, easier than official mocks 2 and 3. Harder than medify, but not by much. Finished with a few mins to review my flagged questions.

DA- my best section in my prep. I actually scored full marks in this section on official mock 3, but the real thing was harder. More like official mocks 1 and 2. I have a theory that the average mark for DA is always quite high which means it's harder to get in the 800s than other sections when the ukcat marking formula/algorithm is applied. There's no time pressure here, finished with 5 mins left to review flagged questions.

Sjt- same as all the prep resources. Didn't think too much about it really, I just wanted my score by that point. Finished it 15 minutes early.

Resources wise, medify was probably the best buy (I think we can all universally agree on this). It's VR might be a little too hard, and it's AR a little too easy, but other than that it's spot on. I actually bought a £5 keyboard online so I could get used to the shortcuts, which definitely helped (I have a laptop). The 600q book really didn't help me much, although if anyone wants it, I'm selling! :P

Overall, it went better than I expected and I'm very happy! :biggrin:

Good luck everyone, hope you find this useful and sorry for typos etc (on my phone). :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
Original post by liam__
Just finished it.

SJT band 2

Happy with that overall. Looking at last year's cutoffs, the only course that this score rules out is Newcastle. Hopefully I've just squeezed in to the Warwick interviews- time will tell!

My scores are way more consistent than I expected. I was expecting around 650 for QR and AR, 700 for VR and 750+ for DA.

VR was very similar to the official mocks. The comprehension questions were way easier than medify's. All passages were shorter than medify's, they rarely took up the whole page. I managed to finish before the timer ran out, but didn't manage to review all of my flagged questions.

QR was pretty easy. As others have said, the real thing is much more like the official short mock than the official full length mocks. Similar difficulty to medify. I may as well have not used the 600Q book, it didn't help at all for me. Timing was ok, I guessed a few and didn't get to go back to them but I think that's the case for most people.

AR- similar to official mock 1, easier than official mocks 2 and 3. Harder than medify, but not by much. Finished with a few mins to review my flagged questions.

DA- my best section in my prep. I actually scored full marks in this section on official mock 3, but the real thing was harder. More like official mocks 1 and 2. I have a theory that the average mark for DA is always quite high which means it's harder to get in the 800s than other sections when the ukcat marking formula/algorithm is applied. There's no time pressure here, finished with 5 mins left to review flagged questions.

Sjt- same as all the prep resources. Didn't think too much about it really, I just wanted my score by that point. Finished it 15 minutes early.

Resources wise, medify was probably the best buy (I think we can all universally agree on this). It's VR might be a little too hard, and it's AR a little too easy, but other than that it's spot on. I actually bought a £5 keyboard online so I could get used to the shortcuts, which definitely helped (I have a laptop). The 600q book really didn't help me much, although if anyone wants it, I'm selling! :P

Good luck everyone, hope you find this useful and sorry for typos etc (on my phone). :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice.. I really do hope I get such a score though all I need is a minimum of 575 to confirm my conditional offer for a 6-year course
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by liam__
Just finished it.

SJT band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done - so nice to get it over with isn't it! Great to actually be able to focus on the next stage of the application now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by liam__
Just finished it.

SJT band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same score I got last year and got an offer for Warwick :smile: Good luck!
Original post by akereem100
Anyone who hasn't done medify and got good grades? My exam is in less than a week all I did was the 600q and evey free online resources im keeping the mock ukcat website exam for before the exam. Seeing everyone talking about medify is making me worried now :s-smilie:
I can probably buy one more thing should it be the kaplan book of hwo to score higher or should i pay for medify which would be more useful?

Hey :smile:
I was the same as you, didn't see the point, wasn't sure it would be worth it and didn't want to pay the money! However, I have 3 days until my UKCAT and honestly I am SO GLAD I got medify. I'm sure you can do great without it but I got the 2 week subscription which lasts till the night before my exam just to give me that extra help. I defiantly recommend it, but Id say the 2 or 1 week. I've done all the practise stuff and 2 of the mocks and i've still got the 2 days left. However I don't know if you get more resources with the longer subscription.

Good luck :smile: x
Original post by akereem100
Anyone who hasn't done medify and got good grades? My exam is in less than a week all I did was the 600q and evey free online resources im keeping the mock ukcat website exam for before the exam. Seeing everyone talking about medify is making me worried now :s-smilie:
I can probably buy one more thing should it be the kaplan book of hwo to score higher or should i pay for medify which would be more useful?

I done the ukcat last year without medify or kaplan and got a score of around 3000. My friends who used it actually scored lower than me. Just don't panic, there are plenty of very good free resources online or good books that you can use. I even used some questions online suitable for 11+ tests. Don't feel pressured into using what everyone else is, do what you personally think is best.
Original post by liam__
Their preliminary report came out mid-August last year, and their final report was a week before the UCAS deadline.

Hey :smile: What is the report? O_o
Thanks!
Original post by gabby07
Hey :smile: What is the report? O_o
Thanks!

They release a report showing the decile total scores for the cohort (usually towards the end of testing, and again at the end of testing). Also has average scores for each section.
Original post by MJK91
They release a report showing the decile total scores for the cohort (usually towards the end of testing, and again at the end of testing). Also has average scores for each section.

Thanks, is that before the 15th Sept?
Reply 594
International applicant here. I took my UKCAT for 2016 entry a while back and was wondering: are there any estimates for cut-off/safe UKCAT scores for students from outside the EU? Thanks!
Original post by liam__
Just finished it.

SJT band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!!!
Was their more comprehension questions than true/false ones?
Reply 596
I am using the 600 questions book, and I started looking at the Quantitative reasoning. I seem to spend too much time per question. What would you guy suggest as a strategy to answer as many questions as possible, since I am reluctant to guess. Or is that normal? I feel that they are a bit too difficult in the 600Q.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by liam__

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great score well done! I was just wondering where you found the official short mock? Under the preparation tab I can just find the 3 official mocks and individual practices. Is the short mock the one in the app? Thanks in advance
Original post by Rose256
Congrats!!!
Was their more comprehension questions than true/false ones?

Way more when I did it yesterday - I only had 1 or 2 true false ones, think they're being phased out so definitely focus primarily on improving your technique for the comprehension ones!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

Does anyone know what time/place the London UKCAT Crash Course is on the 12th July? I signed up late so think I missed the e-mail giving these details...

Thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending