The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Is there a BMAT thread? I can't find it :/ could somebody link it to me? Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by thechemistress
Is there a BMAT thread? I can't find it :/ could somebody link it to me? Thanks :biggrin:

There are 2 for 2016 entry
Here ya go:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3549693
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3437605
Original post by thechemistress
My first mock was technically the preliminary mock in the Kaplan mock, but my actual first mock was the one in the back of the book, which I did like a month before. I got 622.5 in that one. The mock I did two week before the test was Kaplan practice test 1 and I got 657.5.

Thanks :h: how I revised was that I started about a month before my UKCAT. I had a week in the middle of that month where I did nothing because I was on holiday. In the first week and a bit, I did about 2 hours of practice in the day, spread out over the entire day.
In the final week and a half, I stuck to the same plan every day. I'd get up at 8/8:30, eat breakfast and start work at 9:30. I'd do 2 hours of work and then stop at 11:30. An hours break. Then I'd start a mock every day at 12:30 (I did a mock at 12:30 because my UKCAT was at 12:30). That would be done by about 2:30, after which I'd have a 15 minute break and then review my mock for 30-45 minutes. After identifying problem areas in the mock (ie my QR was practicularly low), I'd focus on that for another 1.5 hours, just doing practice questions xD
Then I'd stop for the day. So yeah, that's what worked for me :smile:

Hey, I was wondering what mocks you did for your test? For me, I have the Medify mocks, the Kaplan book one, the Kaplan online mock, and the official mocks on the UKcat Website. Is there any other mocks you used that you think would be useful?

Thanks so much :biggrin:

Original post by yodude1026
Hey, I was wondering what mocks you did for your test? For me, I have the Medify mocks, the Kaplan book one, the Kaplan online mock, and the official mocks on the UKcat Website. Is there any other mocks you used that you think would be useful?

I did the medium and hard Medify mocks, the Kaplan mocks and the official mocks. So no sorry, I don't know of any other mocks :/
hey guys do you think I stand a chance if I apply to Glasgow with a score of 2750 and a band 3?
What sort of raw scores are desirable to get in each section of the ukcat. I know they convert it using a scale but what raw scores are good to get in practise. I have it in two weeks.
Guys for VR, the reading comprehension how did you go about doing it? Do you read the passage first?
Original post by shiney101
Guys for VR, the reading comprehension how did you go about doing it? Do you read the passage first?

Got 820, skimmed the passage for a feeling of the text, then read the questions. 50%+ of the text is superfluous to the questions so why bother reading it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
Got 820, skimmed the passage for a feeling of the text, then read the questions. 50%+ of the text is superfluous to the questions so why bother reading it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much time should I be spending for each question?
Reply 7490
Ive just done mock B but it only came up with the raw scores for each section and not the 300-900 scale. Is there a way to convert this?
Original post by textbookgeek123
I just did my exam and got 620 average. Is that bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol I just did mine as well and got 610, but got band 1 for situational judgement. 600-620 is the minimum required for most medical schools i think.

Did VR drag your score down? Because it certainly did to mine!!!!
i've done 150 questions, for VR, and i just can't improve much on it. I'm not hopeless but its just the Medify Comprehension is getting a bit annoying that i can't get high consistent scores. Almost all below 10. I have tried different methods. One for speed skimming, one for accuracy and just reading the passage and even a mix of both, but i just cant tackle the section. VR is my main weakness.
I was getting pretty good scores (above 65% on tests) on Medify in all sections but I just got the Kaplan online thing and I'm getting 40%??? Which source is more reliable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7494
Original post by Chowoski
i've done 150 questions, for VR, and i just can't improve much on it. I'm not hopeless but its just the Medify Comprehension is getting a bit annoying that i can't get high consistent scores. Almost all below 10. I have tried different methods. One for speed skimming, one for accuracy and just reading the passage and even a mix of both, but i just cant tackle the section. VR is my main weakness.

story of my life hahaha. Some passages are so long and confusing skim reading does nothing for me whereas other times i look for keywords and they pop up straight away. VR comprehension is the bane of my life.
How do you calculate scores from the ukcat test on the ukcat website?

I had my first practice test today and got the following:
VR 44 questions - 31 incorrect
QR 36 questions - 30 incorrect
AR 55 questions - 37 incorrect
DA 28 questions - 15 incorrect
SJS - 68 questions - 34 incorrect

I know I've don't awfully, but please tell me what scores I have got?
Reply 7496
Hey, for QR in the real thing does the calculator appear over the top of the page or in a separate window? Thanks
Reply 7497
Can someone please give som advice on VR. Especially the Qs which require you to check which out of the 4 statements is true or false.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would like to ask about what med school I should apply with my UKCAT score:

VR : 440
QR: 830
AR: 890
DA:690
SJ : Band 3

Overall 2850 Band 3
Average: 712.5

I am really worried about my VR and SJ. :frown: (had a bit of panic attack at start/ and cba at the end) I just want to know the top 4 (maybe 5) safest options to get an interview. Thank you so much if you are replying :smile: I can also share some tips for attacking this evil UKCAT >:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SimSembi
story of my life hahaha. Some passages are so long and confusing skim reading does nothing for me whereas other times i look for keywords and they pop up straight away. VR comprehension is the bane of my life.

Seriously if we could get a good start to the actual test with us feeling good about VR we could actually do even much better in the sections to come after that.

Half the time UKCAT can just be a mental struggle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending