The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frankyknuckles
can anyone help me?!?!?!

the quantitative reasoning section is so difficult - I can't even get the right answers with no time limit! I got a* at maths gcse so the fact I can't get this right is really stressing me out.

if anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated!!!!!

I find the timing so hard!!!
apparently QR section in the actual test is much easier so dw too much. also what are you using to revise? cos the 600 Qbook QR qs are much harder than real thing apparently
Original post by emma9998
apparently QR section in the actual test is much easier so dw too much. also what are you using to revise? cos the 600 Qbook QR qs are much harder than real thing apparently

Last week I used the score higher kaplan book and this week I am using kaplan online resources and the 600Q book. I am not finding the 600Q book particularly helpful due to the outdated VR and the difficult QR and AR sections but I suppose any practise is good practise :dontknow:
Reply 783
Thanks i feel much better thats a relief i felt like oh my God my dream is over
Just sat the exam.

VR 640, QR 880, AR 600, DA 700. SJ - Band 1

I honestly expected better in DA and worse in VR and DA based off my results from the practice tests, but overall very happy with the results and it seems to be JUST above the threshold to apply for graduate entry programmes, so I'm happy :smile:
Original post by ali.s1002
Just sat the exam.

VR 640, QR 880, AR 600, DA 700. SJ - Band 1

I honestly expected better in DA and worse in VR and DA based off my results from the practice tests, but overall very happy with the results and it seems to be JUST above the threshold to apply for graduate entry programmes, so I'm happy :smile:

Congrats on such a great score! :smile: How did you find questions for each section?
Is anyone finding the DA in book linked below easy and the QR difficult??
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mOSCaxJ3L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Original post by Elhamm
Congrats on such a great score! :smile: How did you find questions for each section?

Thanks!

VR took me so long to do, I don't think I even got a chance to read 10 of the questions so it involved lots of guessing, probably the hardest section tbh.

AR was fairly tricky, it was harder than practice test A but easier than practice test B and C... again I didn't get to do around 8 of the questions so I just guessed them.

DA was harder than the practice tests! I was getting around 4-5 wrong per practice test on this so if my scores were to be based off practice test for DA it would be lower.

QR clearly I found it straight forward, lots of percentages and thankfully no distance/speed/times came up :smile:
Reply 788
I'm finding the AR the hardest part, anyone got any useful tips?

Also for anyone who has already done the test, what's the QR like compared to the practice tests? As I've struggled with the timing on that section

VR, DA and SJT seem fine (probably jinxed those sections now) but I'd still appreciate any advice for those sections.

I have my test tomorrow so I'm starting to feel the nerves, so any help would be much appreciated! :smile:
Can anyone tell me if there's a website where you can find out if a uni does PBL or traditional? Thanks
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Is it too late to join??

Hi you can just PM your number to me
Can someone please help me?I am a very academic person but I keep getting ridiculously low scores in the ukcat practice tests no matter how much I try,even though I breezed through a level maths I got 10/36 in the quantitative section.Any tips please I am desperate
Original post by Michaaelaaa
Can someone please help me?I am a very academic person but I keep getting ridiculously low scores in the ukcat practice tests no matter how much I try,even though I breezed through a level maths I got 10/36 in the quantitative section.Any tips please I am desperate

Literally just practice it as much as you can, get a few resources (Medify and some others) and just work your way through questions. I'm fairly sure everyone starts off doing shocking and just gets better at it, I know I did.
Original post by Michaaelaaa

The skills required in A-Level Maths and the skills required in the UKCAT are actually quite different IMO. Just practise the QR section as much as you can. When I first started doing the UKCAT, I was scoring very low scores too in the QR sections but with more practice, I got used to the style of questions and better at knowing when it was best to flag a hard/time consuming question and moving on (which is what I suggest).
Original post by usycool1
The skills required in A-Level Maths and the skills required in the UKCAT are actually quite different IMO. Just practise the QR section as much as you can. When I first started doing the UKCAT, I was scoring very low scores too in the QR sections but with more practice, I got used to the style of questions and better at knowing when it was best to flag a hard/time consuming question and moving on (which is what I suggest).

I especially agree with the last point made here about flagging hard questions and moving on. This is because you've gotta remember that each question is worth the same number of "marks" (1 essentially as you're results are based on how many you get right).

If you spent say, 3 minutes on a hard question instead of flagging it and moving on, that's 5-6 other questions or something that you miss essentially and these could have been a lot easier and are still of the same importance, despite being easier!

:biggrin:
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Can anyone tell me if there's a website where you can find out if a uni does PBL or traditional? Thanks

The majority are integrated. Only Oxford, Cambridge and one other (I think UCL?) are traditional. PBL is at places like Manchester, Liverpool, Exeter etc. it says on the websites for the respective unis, so go check that out :h:
What are you considering - PBL or integrated??
Original post by thechemistress
The majority are integrated. Only Oxford, Cambridge and one other (I think UCL?) are traditional. PBL is at places like Manchester, Liverpool, Exeter etc. it says on the websites for the respective unis, so go check that out :h:
What are you considering - PBL or integrated??

Oh okay thankss :smile:!! I am considering integrated :biggrin:!

Just out of curiousity, would you be able to tell me off the top of your head if these uni's are PBL or integrated? Thanks :biggrin:!

Queen Mary's
Leicester
Nottingham
@thechemistress Btw, I was wondering, since we are doing the UKCAT on the same day, do you have a Facebook account on which we could maybe talk from time to time if we have any questions about how to do questions or something like that? I think it'd be much nicer to go through this thing with others as opposed to all by ourselves haha!I understand if you don't have one/aren't comfortable either though so yeah ^_^
Oh okay thankss :smile:!! I am considering integrated :biggrin:!

Just out of curiousity, would you be able to tell me off the top of your head if these uni's are PBL or integrated? Thanks :biggrin:!

Queen Mary's
Leicester
Nottingham

I know Nottingham is integrated. I think queen Mary's is also integrated (but I would double check that). As for Leicester.. It may be PBL? I think? I can't remember 100% so check that :lol:
@thechemistress Btw, I was wondering, since we are doing the UKCAT on the same day, do you have a Facebook account on which we could maybe talk from time to time if we have any questions about how to do questions or something like that? I think it'd be much nicer to go through this thing with others as opposed to all by ourselves haha!I understand if you don't have one/aren't comfortable either though so yeah ^_^

Haha, yeah, sorry I recently deactivated my Facebook so I don't really use it anymore xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending