The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by curiousninja
Rather off topic but I was just thinking about how ridiculously competitive Medicine is. Like seriously:
-You can get 3A* predictions which would get you offers for almost any course, but it's only slightly commendable in the world of Medicine.
-Feeling like a failure when not getting 700+ (on student room) for a truly gruelling aptitude test. *sigh*
-Care home volunteering for an entire year?
It's pretty common.
-Just the 142 consultants shadowed? You might make the waiting list.

Usually, people would congratulate you if you earned yourself a university place for the degree you want to study (and rightly so).
Medicine, however, is that kind of degree where simply being able to apply should warrant some celebration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you eventually get that offer though, it feels so good :tongue:
Reply 7981
Original post by muchensmile
Good luck!

Original post by swopnil
AHHHHH, good luck mate!

Thanks so much :smile: I need it since i'll be guessing most of it :smile:)))))))))
Guys, where can I find the Kaplan mocks people are talking about? I can't seem to find them anywhere, even on the website. Do you have to pay for them? Are they representative of the real exam?
Original post by Azula
My UKCAT is tomorrow HAHAHAHAHA :ahee:

Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azula
Thanks so much :smile: I need it since i'll be guessing most of it :smile:)))))))))

just stay calm and you will do fine (hopefully). :smile:
let me know how you did.
I have mine in few days.
Original post by yodude1026
Guys, where can I find the Kaplan mocks people are talking about? I can't seem to find them anywhere, even on the website. Do you have to pay for them? Are they representative of the real exam?

you can get a free mock 1 in their website and i think you have to pay for the others.

although for mock 1 i couldn't use the keyboard for some reason so i thought it was useless. Or it could be because I'm on iMac.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7986

Original post by swopnil
just stay calm and you will do fine (hopefully). :smile:
let me know how you did.
I have mine in few days.

Thanks people :smile: Hope yours went/will go well too
And yess i will
Original post by Merv97
Can anyone help me with VR Reading Comprehension, Ive been practicing since the end of july, have my test in 6 days and im still getting 11/20 on timed practices on medify. I try to skim read the passage at the start and then eliminate answers by going through the passage but it never works out for me and i still end up running out of time even though i try to spend 40 secs on a question, proper getting stressed

Anyone??
Original post by madmed16
I really don't want to risk applying there as I got a band 2 in SJT and it's worth 15% at Edinburgh, which is a lot in my opinion! It would also be between Edinburgh and St Andrews as my "risky" choice, and I love St Andrews way more than Edinburgh!

Ah I see! I did not do too well in my Standard Grades either! Where are you applying?

I was thinking everywhere in Scotland except st Andrews because I thought it didn't have many places. For my Nat 5's I only got 5A 2B and C:s-smilie:. Situational judgement 2 is still not too bad but yeah I guess 15% is quite a lot. My ukcat was 677.75 but band 1 so I'm still not sure how competitive I am and whether I should apply to Edinburgh, the only slight plus being no interviews.
Original post by Don Pedro K.
I'm not sure what @thechemistress did for these questions but I just guessed them and moved on; they're not really worth wasting time on in my opinion.

You guessed them? I HATE them so much, was guessing them worth it and did it save a lot of time?

Also can you estimate what proportion of VR is those conclusion-type questions?
Original post by curiousninja
Rather off topic but I was just thinking about how ridiculously competitive Medicine is. Like seriously:
-You can get 3A* predictions which would get you offers for almost any course, but it's only slightly commendable in the world of Medicine.
-Feeling like a failure when not getting 700+ (on student room) for a truly gruelling aptitude test. *sigh*
-Care home volunteering for an entire year?
It's pretty common.
-Just the 142 consultants shadowed? You might make the waiting list.

Usually, people would congratulate you if you earned yourself a university place for the degree you want to study (and rightly so).
Medicine, however, is that kind of degree where simply being able to apply should warrant some celebration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, very true. Your profile pic looks like the expression of many medicine admissions tutors around the country when they read your comment.
Original post by st nick
I was thinking everywhere in Scotland except st Andrews because I thought it didn't have many places. For my Nat 5's I only got 5A 2B and C:s-smilie:. Situational judgement 2 is still not too bad but yeah I guess 15% is quite a lot. My ukcat was 677.75 but band 1 so I'm still not sure how competitive I am and whether I should apply to Edinburgh, the only slight plus being no interviews.

Yeah, they have a lot less in comparison to other medical schools! That's good! You might be competitive! I guess it depends on how everyone else in Scotland done in their UKCAT...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Merv97
Anyone??

For most, if not all, the questions its best if you read the question first then quickly look through the passage to find the relevant key words.

Try and practice speeding. Reducing the subvocalisation is pretty helpful if you can do it. But with 6 days it may not be the best use of your time.
How representative is Kaplan's AR with respect to the real thing? Too easy? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by muchensmile
Pretty sure it drives everyone insane at some point, to be honest if you give it a good shot you have nothing to lose really. You can always decide to not apply after you sit your ukcat, but I'm sure you will be fine if you practise lots!

Your right! Think I'm just having a bad day :smile: Might as well give it a go and see what happens so the work I put in doesn't go to waste. Best of luck with your application and thanks haha
Original post by Merv97
Anyone??

Hey I can help:smile:
I just watched a video of kaplan explaining the whole process of overcoming these questions on the UKCAT
At first through books and internet resources I was struggling immensely but the Kaplan self study course Is very useful :smile: and I officially started my prep today, I have till 5th oct to prep and am feeling more confident
You can PM me if you want any advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by st nick

Yeah I was thinking that maybe St Andrews is very competitive too since they have small numbers, or am I wrong thinking this way? Maybe they have a quota for scottish applicants that is actually quite good?
Reply 7997
Got my UKCAT tomorrow. Any last minute advice?
Original post by Nikita Verma
Hey guys, any advice for SJT? Because sometimes, I think the 'core values' contradict each other... patients should be a priority (e.g. arriving late for a lecture because you have to ensure the patient is handed over to the next doctor properly) but in some cases they emphasise on time management (e.g. handing a possibly lost patient to a porter instead of guiding them yourself because you're late for lecture).....
so basically.... anything I should keep in mind while attempting this section? :smile:

Read the Good Medical Practice Guide. It really gives you a good over brief of what you need to know.

I know what you mean but I learned patients and confidentiality are very important.
Original post by Thefuturedoctor1
GUYS! is 560 a good score for UKCAT? if so, where can I apply?? PLEASE REPLY ASAP! thank you x

That's even below the national average so I don't think med school would consider that (realistically thinking).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending