The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Was the actual test easier than the practice mocks which you did.
I'll post this here as i've had quite a few PMs and will save replying to them all.

It's hard for me to say what is the best course of action because I didn't get at all what I was expecting in each section. I'll try anyway though...

For VR I would suggest practising the new comprehension style questions the most, i.e. not the true/false/can't tell ones, as they come up far more often. Medify is a good resource for this although they are a little harder than the real thing.

For QR practise using the online calculator with the number pad thing as this really improves your speed. Practise percentage increase/decreases and your mental maths. Again, Medify and the Kaplan book are pretty similar to the real thing. The maths is really not hard, it's just getting the timing down to 30 seconds per question.

AR was a lot easier than I thought. Just do as many practise questions as you can and you'll come across all of the various patterns eventually. This is the key i think. Also concentrate on the box with the least shapes as this still holds the pattern and has less distractors.

For DA, write out every code in full and after it put 'ABCDE' which you can use to cross out incorrect answers, leaving hopefully the right one! I thought this would be my best score though so try other methods. I was getting 850s in my mocks but maybe the average in the real thing is lowered by their algorithms.

Again, timing is everything and practise will whittle this down until you're spending the right amount of time per question. Some questions are too hard to do in the time limit, so guess, flag and move on.

I would recommend the Kaplan score higher book, Medify and the official mocks, The 600Q book is terrible IMO.

I started revising roughly a month before, but not regularly, perhaps an hour per day on average, with this ramping up the week prior to the exam.

Hope this helps!
Reply 982
Original post by sampowell92
I'll post this here as i've had quite a few PMs and will save replying to them all.

It's hard for me to say what is the best course of action because I didn't get at all what I was expecting in each section. I'll try anyway though...

For VR I would suggest practising the new comprehension style questions the most, i.e. not the true/false/can't tell ones, as they come up far more often. Medify is a good resource for this although they are a little harder than the real thing.

For QR practise using the online calculator with the number pad thing as this really improves your speed. Practise percentage increase/decreases and your mental maths. Again, Medify and the Kaplan book are pretty similar to the real thing. The maths is really not hard, it's just getting the timing down to 30 seconds per question.

AR was a lot easier than I thought. Just do as many practise questions as you can and you'll come across all of the various patterns eventually. This is the key i think. Also concentrate on the box with the least shapes as this still holds the pattern and has less distractors.

For DA, write out every code in full and after it put 'ABCDE' which you can use to cross out incorrect answers, leaving hopefully the right one! I thought this would be my best score though so try other methods. I was getting 850s in my mocks but maybe the average in the real thing is lowered by their algorithms.

Again, timing is everything and practise will whittle this down until you're spending the right amount of time per question. Some questions are too hard to do in the time limit, so guess, flag and move on.

I would recommend the Kaplan score higher book, Medify and the official mocks, The 600Q book is terrible IMO.

I started revising roughly a month before, but not regularly, perhaps an hour per day on average, with this ramping up the week prior to the exam.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.. That's very helpful :smile:
Reply 983
Is revising with a timer on for each section more effective as opposed to just practising questions without a set time? As I've recently started revising for my test :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, did you find the online mocks that UKCAT officially put up much harder? (because I am!)
Original post by helloitssiany
Hi, did you find the online mocks that UKCAT officially put up much harder? (because I am!)

Do you have the Kaplan Score Higher book?
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Do you have the Kaplan Score Higher book?

Yep, I find the questions in Kaplan marginally more do-able than the online mock though. Especially QR, where I'm getting about 12/36 (and I'm usually pretty alright at maths!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by helloitssiany
Yep, I find the questions in Kaplan marginally more do-able than the online mock though. Especially QR, where I'm getting about 12/36 (and I'm usually pretty alright at maths!)

Have you done the Chapter 4 quiz for the QR by any chance?
I have the red Kaplan book and I wanted to do the online book. I received my login details but my Mac will not open the link. I posted a screenshot of what it keeps telling me. Has anyone else encountered this situation? Any suggestions on what to do?
Original post by Elhamm
I have the red Kaplan book and I wanted to do the online book. I received my login details but my Mac will not open the link. I posted a screenshot of what it keeps telling me. Has anyone else encountered this situation? Any suggestions on what to do?

Do you mean the Score Higher book? If so, how did you get these login details :redface:?
Do you mean the Score Higher book? If so, how did you get these login details :redface:?

Yeah lol :smile:
The first login details are in the book lol, once you have logged on there will be a link where it will direct you to their official online mock. At this stage there will be a couple of simple details you have to give including your email address. You will then receive an email like I did and apparently click on the link to enter the login details (it will be the one that is in the email they have sent) and do the mock. The problems is that it won't allow me to open the link :colonhash:
Original post by Elhamm
Yeah lol :smile:
The first login details are in the book lol, once you have logged on there will be a link where it will direct you to their official online mock. At this stage there will be a couple of simple details you have to give including your email address. You will then receive an email like I did and apparently click on the link to enter the login details (it will be the one that is in the email they have sent) and do the mock. The problems is that it won't allow me to open the link :colonhash:

Ohh I see! I don't think I'm ready to do a mock just yet xD Btw, have you done the Chapter 4 Quiz on QR in that book yet?
Ohh I see! I don't think I'm ready to do a mock just yet xD Btw, have you done the Chapter 4 Quiz on QR in that book yet?

Yeah I finished the book, I'm just using medify until the day of my exam :u:
Original post by Elhamm
Yeah I finished the book, I'm just using medify until the day of my exam :u:

Ah okay. Did you find those questions in that QR quiz quite hard by any chance :/? Because when I did those, I only got 6/16 but on the diagnostic test I got 30/36 on the QR! So I don't know what's wrong :frown:
Are the passages in the ukcat exam about as long as the passages in medify :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay. Did you find those questions in that QR quiz quite hard by any chance :/? Because when I did those, I only got 6/16 but on the diagnostic test I got 30/36 on the QR! So I don't know what's wrong :frown:

IMO the QR in the book, is harder than the diagnostic test :smile: but dont worry once you get to the mock at the end of the book you'll score higher than your diagnostic test (this is what happened in my case lol) How's revision overall :^_^:
Original post by Elhamm
IMO the QR in the book, is harder than the diagnostic test :smile: but dont worry once you get to the mock at the end of the book you'll score higher than your diagnostic test (this is what happened in my case lol) How's revision overall :^_^:

Ah okay I see haha :smile: Overall, things are going alright I guess! I have yet to move onto VR and DA (although I have a good feeling about DA - the questions that I've done here and there I have done well on!)

I think I'm going to focus on QR till the end of this month and then move onto to DA and VR.

But I struggle to find resources for QR :/

How's yours going?
Ah okay I see haha :smile: Overall, things are going alright I guess! I have yet to move onto VR and DA (although I have a good feeling about DA - the questions that I've done here and there I have done well on!)

I think I'm going to focus on QR till the end of this month and then move onto to DA and VR.

But I struggle to find resources for QR :/

How's yours going?

Haha awww! :smile: Revision is alright I guess minus the fact that I am becoming a professor at procrastinating :wink: I feel VR & QR will bring my score down so I have to revise those more often (sadly) The thing is that I feel like I'm not improving looking at my scores :frown:
Are you focusing on revising a section a day? I just can't wait after 11th August after I am off on a PROPER Holiday!!!!
Original post by Elhamm
Haha awww! :smile: Revision is alright I guess minus the fact that I am becoming a professor at procrastinating :wink: I feel VR & QR will bring my score down so I have to revise those more often (sadly) The thing is that I feel like I'm not improving looking at my scores :frown:
Are you focusing on revising a section a day? I just can't wait after 11th August after I am off on a PROPER Holiday!!!!

Haha I am currently in the process of getting a PhD in the science of procrastination :wink: xD And I am not doing a section a day no; I felt like QR was going to be a weakness simply due to the timing so I have been doing that and AR thus far. probably gonna move onto VR and DA soon though!

Where are you going on holiday :biggrin:? My exam is on the 1st of September so no fun for me haha xD
Haha I am currently in the process of getting a PhD in the science of procrastination :wink: xD And I am not doing a section a day no; I felt like QR was going to be a weakness simply due to the timing so I have been doing that and AR thus far. probably gonna move onto VR and DA soon though!

Where are you going on holiday :biggrin:? My exam is on the 1st of September so no fun for me haha xD

loool, ohh wow our degrees would be so helpful when applying for medicine :wink: we shall get an unconditional offer just for it :biggrin:
I'm going Paris lol then Australia, and awww this was why I had to book mine early otherwise I would not have any holidays because of this exam -.- You planning to do the BMAT too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending