The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by axccl389
I did the UKCAT and got 755 band 2.

Some advice for those out there who still hasn't taken the exam:
-Don't fret, you'll never feel ready and its designed to be so, calm and confidence is key
-Bad mocks results doesn't mean bad actual results, I'm mostly scoring around 700s in QR in mocks but got 890 in the actual for QR(it's really easy in actual) so don't be demotivated!
-Practice more VR! It's definitely the hardest part for almost everyone and although it's not as hard as medify, it's a bit harder than the official mocks. Gotta read quick!
-DA is a bit tricky but you have plenty of time, so definitely write them out
-AR is mostly luck and IQ so pray to God for this one
-SJT is a freakin joke, unless your applying to Edinburgh don't even bother, utter non-sense!:angry::angry:

Good luck y'all:smile:

That's great advice, and well done. How did you practice for QR to do so well?
Original post by tonystark
5th, and I am nervous and unsure. There are some times where I consistently get low marks, and then all of a sudden I get really high marks like 750-800.

How about yourself ?

My exam is on the same day, and I'm the same really. I'm not sure what to expect. VR comprehension is really taking the piss
Original post by lucky11
My exam is on the same day, and I'm the same really. I'm not sure what to expect. VR comprehension is really taking the piss

VR comprehension is awful, I did 10 VR on medify got about and average of 2/5 and on the tenth I got every question right, felt good about myself and left it at that .

I also find the AR difficult, the guess the next step especially
VR comprehension is awful, I did 10 VR on medify got about and average of 2/5 and on the tenth I got every question right, felt good about myself and left it at that .

I also find the AR difficult, the guess the next step especially

I actually like AR, even the next step ones. At least with that as you keep seeing the different shapes and etc you learn to recognise them. That one does get better with practice trust me. But VR is just new topic all the time and uh it's just draining the life out of me. In one of the mocks I got 21/44 and on the timed section I get about 7/20 (11/20 was the highest) which is just sad.
Can anyone give VR advice, I cant be the only one finding comprehension near impossible!!!???
Original post by lucky11
I actually like AR, even the next step ones. At least with that as you keep seeing the different shapes and etc you learn to recognise them. That one does get better with practice trust me. But VR is just new topic all the time and uh it's just draining the life out of me. In one of the mocks I got 21/44 and on the timed section I get about 7/20 (11/20 was the highest) which is just sad.

I agree, it does get better, I've became more acclimatised, but it's still annoying at times (AR). I agree, VR is extremely draining, it's like you need an eidetic memory to do well.

lol on the timed test I got 17/44, it's depressing.
I agree, it does get better, I've became more acclimatised, but it's still annoying at times (AR). I agree, VR is extremely draining, it's like you need an eidetic memory to do well.

lol on the timed test I got 17/44, it's depressing.

Haha, I shall pray for a miracle for us on the day. Thing that makes is worse is that Im on my final year of undergrad course, so I'm hoping to apply to grad unis.
Original post by lucky11
Haha, I shall pray for a miracle for us on the day. Thing that makes is worse is that Im on my final year of undergrad course, so I'm hoping to apply to grad unis.

Me last year and I didn't get in! Graduated in June !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucky11

For the 4 year program? In applying as a graduate, going to do the 5 year programs though
Reply 9989
Got:

VR 650
QR 760
AR 780
DA 670

Hmm...
...I'll go with appropriate, but not ideal.
Original post by Dylan_20
Me last year and I didn't get in! Graduated in June !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I really hope you get in this year. Where were you thinking to apply this year?
Original post by lucky11
Oh I really hope you get in this year. Where were you thinking to apply this year?

Me too !! Really want Warwick wbu

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the 4 year program? In applying as a graduate, going to do the 5 year programs though

I was thinking about but that will be expensive. :/. Meh I guess I'll decide when I know my score
Me too !! Really want Warwick wbu

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really really really want Warwick too. My first choice. Absolutely loved the place on the open day.
Original post by lucky11
I really really really want Warwick too. My first choice. Absolutely loved the place on the open day.

My friend is there. You have 70 hours of experience right ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend is there. You have 70 hours of experience right ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes yes of course :biggrin:. I'm still doing my work exp. Hospital ward volunteer. It's annoying that they don't consider the work you done prior 2 years of your application. Mehhh
Reply 9996
seriously im sooooo bad at qr on the official mocks???
Original post by GMQ
Got:

VR 650
QR 760
AR 780
DA 670

Hmm...
...I'll go with appropriate, but not ideal.

How did you find VR and QR?

Also did you run out of time for these sections?
Please could somebody tell me how to access to Kaplan free mock? I can't seem to find it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9999
Original post by ThePrestigeUK
Im in the same position, I find VR impossible :frown: Cant find a single technique that helps whether on this forum or on youtube. Im just too slow and always end up guessing.

Hey, I got highest in VR. I know you've heard this 100 times but scan for keywords. Be super strict with yourself about time, I found the hardest questions were first and the easier ones nearer the end. Do the first couple to get into the swing of it and then flag and skip if you haven't done it in the time and don't think you will.

All the books say not to do this, and don't rely on this technique but use you're common sense and knowledge of context. This is useful if you have no idea what' going on and have no time. There may be one answer that looks ridiculous and you can eliminate it. Try not to do this unless you have to because it's risky.

Maybe before you go there have a magazine article or book and skim read it, trying to be really fast.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending