The Student Room Group

Do any medical students smoke?

I was just wondering what the opinion on smoking was at medical school? I'm not proud of the fact I smoke, but I'm starting medical school in September and I'm worried that I'm going to have to try and hide it from everyone.

What about cannabis? Are medical students a perfect breed of people that would never touch such drugs? I just don't think I'm really going to fit in with them considering the stuff I do in my life.

I'm a girl by the way and I'm not looking to be told how unattractive and harmful smoking is, I'm well aware of this.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Well, quite a few smoked when we started - I've finished 2nd year now and there are only 2 people that I know of who are now smokers. You'll be taught just exactly what it does to you - it is much worse than I had assumed it was before med school =/ I suppose I assumed since it was such a common habit that it couldn't really be that bad, but after learning about the just how serious an impact it has on your health I wouldn't touch a cigarette with a bargepole. I suppose this is probably why most of the smokers in my year have quit since starting med school.
Reply 2
My boyfriend's brother smokes to my knowledge, and smokes weed too, and he's done a physio degree and is now doing medicine. I don't think it's really a problem, from what I've heard sometimes the medics are the worst for it :P
Reply 3
Loads smoke, and a few of them became close friends that way because of the smoke breaks between lectures etc.

But cannabis, obviously people wouldn't openly admit to it but I know one guy who does it regularly and he sees no problem with it. But it only takes one charge of possession to completely destroy your career.

Edit: also, it does make me laugh when the ones who smoke get lectured by their friends who drink themselves into a coma every wednesday night.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Loads do. People don't seem to care about the effects because it is more of a social things for them. They won't smoke all the time, but if they're on a night out etc...
Reply 5
I'm a nursing student not a medic... But there are quite a few people on my course who'll nip out for a fag between lectures. I can't understand it really, but it's personal choice and none of my business.

What does annoy me though is when your on a ward (or in any clinical area really) and a member of staff will come back from their break stinking of smoke. So unappropriate to smell of cigarettes when your in contact with patients.

You won't be the only smoker starting the course OP.
Hmm... seems other people have had different experience from me. Perhaps it is because the hospital (where my medical school is) is a no smoking zone, so you'd have to walk for 10 mins off the hospital grounds to be able to smoke. Maybe it is just inconvenient to be a smoker :tongue:
There will almost certainly be a significant proportion that smokes. You certainly wont be lambasted for it.

Cannabis, on the otherhand, runs other risks. Your medschool won't be very happy if you are caught and you run the risk of being kicked out.
Reply 8
Ok I feel slightly better now! I was so sure that medical students would tear me apart for smoking. Now that I come to think of it, I've actually met two of my best friends and my ex boyfriend through smoking at college. :s-smilie:

I'm doing my best to give up the cannabis, but I'm certainly not stupid enough to be caught with it.
Reply 9
Original post by Stanley90
Loads smoke, and a few of them became close friends that way because of the smoke breaks between lectures etc.

But cannabis, obviously people wouldn't openly admit to it but I know one guy who does it regularly and he sees no problem with it. But it only takes one charge of possession to completely destroy your career.

Edit: also, it does make me laugh when the ones who smoke get lectured by their friends who drink themselves into a coma every wednesday night.

The funny part is, I don't drink at all so it does seem a tad hypocritical of them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending