The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath 2012 Applicants thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by ElizM_94
Ah same LOL I need my own bathroom and shower etc. I literally spend an hour in the shower so ya know LOL.
Ah well I applied for just Sociology but I think I'm gonna change it to Sociology with Social Policy. But we can all change at the end of the first year since everyone does the same thing first year round :smile:
ABB wby?
I literally hope I get my offer however low it may sound lol :frown:

ABB too, I know same Im worried i wont and everyone sounds superbrainy!! Oh dear im hoping ill grow some more brains!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 1181
Original post by lauray05
ABB too, I know same Im worried i wont and everyone sounds superbrainy!! Oh dear im hoping ill grow some more brains!

OMFG same! When I went to the open day everyones grades were A*A*A and I was like ":O okay I'm not gonna fit in!" LOL
Reply 1182
OMFG same! When I went to the open day everyones grades were A*A*A and I was like ":O okay I'm not gonna fit in!" LOL

I know I felt the same!! I'm like just normal braininess! O dear what is life xx
Reply 1183
Original post by dannyk
What language is your course in Switzerland in? I think it's a great advantage nowadays to learn in a English speaking university as English (due to the USA obviously) is now the language of international business, and you seem to already speak it very well!

And as the other poster said, if you graduate from Bath you can do so with a year's experience at a company or in politics, which does lots to help you when you graduate.

It's in German actually. Yes I think I will go to Bath (if I make my offer). Just strange that not more people seem to know it, even though it is the 5th in the UK. :smile:
Reply 1184
Original post by foolscap
Admittedly this is one of my concerns with Bath, it is fairly new on the scene compared to Bristol Durham oxbridge etc, and so it isn't as well known, but don't let that put you off. People in the know, know. People not in the know, don't. It's a very good uni, end of.

Edit: Bath has super high graduate employment due to the emphasis they put on placements, so the end result is very good.

Yeah, thanks. I know it is, just threw me off a bit as a few people have been saying that. Is it worth the £27.000 though?
Original post by Yash13
I know how hard it was for me to decide so I would love to help. What course are you applying for? :smile:

Hey,

Am an Intl Student....Have received Uncon offers from Bristol & Bath
for MA in Intl Security....really confused...looking for
a) epmployablity
b) academics
Original post by CorinnaH
Yeah, thanks. I know it is, just threw me off a bit as a few people have been saying that. Is it worth the £27.000 though?

Only you can answer that. Compare it to what your alternative is.
Reply 1187
Original post by marisha26dolly
Hey,

Am an Intl Student....Have received Uncon offers from Bristol & Bath
for MA in Intl Security....really confused...looking for
a) epmployablity
b) academics

Hi, I will not have time to go into great detail because I have exams going on.

a) As you are an international student, the international reputation and prestige of the university may influence your employability more so than a domestic student. I would say that Bristol has greater prestige. In terms of getting a job in the UK I would say there will be marginal difference so there is no point in comparing between them. If you would like a job in another country I think Bristol would be KNOWN by more employers than Bath.

b) As this discipline is under the Politics and International Studies department I would say that Bath has a great department especially for research in this field as its probably grown in recognition faster than a lot of its other departments. Having said that Bristol is also excellent in this field. If you want to go into research then perhaps Bath is a better option now but I think there is again little difference between the two in this field. In the past Bristol was quite a bit better than Bath in this field.

Based solely on these two factors for an international student I would recommend Bristol but there is little in this. I hope I have helped and good luck.
Reply 1188
any german speaking people going to bath?
Original post by CorinnaH
Hey everyone! I'm an EU student with a conditional for Economics and Politics. Today my history teacher commented on that Bath is not a very famous university and how it would not be worth the money, as it isn't very famous internationally. My parents have also been telling me this.
Just wanted your opinions on this, as I don't think they're right. Bath is great, isn't it? Obviously it's not Oxford or Cambridge, but do you think it's with the £27000? My other option is going to University of St Gallen in Switzerland...

Thanks!

While it's not as well known just because it was only built in the 60's, it's shot up to the top 10 and it's a really reputable uni. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/ have a look here overall and for your subjects, I know that for maths/psychology/business/politics it makes (or has made) top 5, and is higher than a lot of Russell Groups and older unis. Plus Bath does placements for 60% of students.
Does anyone here at the uni do salsa dancing or know anything about it?

Never tried anything like it before and I'm the last person you'd think would do it but I'm interested... would be nice to hear about what it's like...

yay you're finally making friends with girls i can bang
ooo very nice:smile: yeah it is, I did want marls/sols but left it too late, hopefully I will get woodland, im not sure if I would survive without a toilet first year! And a tv lol luxury!! So you are just doing sociology? and what's your offer? x

eliz persuaded me to apply woodland :biggrin:

my offer is A*AA for Maths though :frown:, but I should hopefully see you there :smile:
What is everyone studying? Have you got your offers yet? If you would like any advice as a current student, please feel free to ask me :smile:
Reply 1194
Original post by jack.tang
What is everyone studying? Have you got your offers yet? If you would like any advice as a current student, please feel free to ask me :smile:

whats partying like at the university? :P
Original post by EHALI
whats partying like at the university? :P

there aren't many mainstream clubs in Bath but depending on which hall you are at... there are always a lot of flat parties about.
Reply 1196
Original post by Jorgeyy
eliz persuaded me to apply woodland :biggrin:

my offer is A*AA for Maths though :frown:, but I should hopefully see you there :smile:

Ooo yay friends. Maths sounds horrible
Yes if i get in hopefully tooo! :smile::smile::smile:
Ooo yay friends. Maths sounds horrible
Yes if i get in hopefully tooo! :smile::smile::smile:

:smile:

Have you been inside the accom? Double bed and en suite <3
Reply 1198
Original post by Jorgeyy
:smile:

Have you been inside the accom? Double bed and en suite <3

Yes eee its lush, but I applied two weeks late and everyone on here says that means you wont get it, not sure though but I hope so!
Yes eee its lush, but I applied two weeks late and everyone on here says that means you wont get it, not sure though but I hope so!

I applied late too, but I think that's only true of mars/sols... woodland tends to be less popular (i hope :eek:)

Oh well, at least I might have a friend if we get chucked in a ****hole hahaha

Quick Reply

Latest