The Student Room Group

Which revolution had the greatest impact on world history?

Scroll to see replies

The French revolution. It set up the rise of the middle classes.
The Industrial Revolution has probably had the most impact - if it had never happened I doubt there would have been a significant advancement of society and technology. It forged the foundations of modern day Capitalism too which is obviously a massive part of today.

Though, the October Revolution did have a massive impact on the 20th century, I imagine the world would be a different place if the USSR hadn't have emerged as it did impact on the politics of other countries (especially Germany).
WW1 and WW2 would have panned out very differently and I imagine that most technology (especially military and space) wouldn't have been as advanced as it is now due to the superpower rivalry. Also I don't know if China would have became a communist state if the USSR hadn't put the idea in motion.

Most revolutions have created a significant impact though, but the Industrial Revolution definitely had the most impact.
Reply 22
Original post by crocker710
The American war of independence brought about the 'very first truthful and respected human rights law' lol wut? Magna Carta was the first 'respected human rights law' and the American revolution only protected white males in its laws, slavery was still allowed hence the American Civil War in 1861.

The French Revolution changed French peoples lives, great. Where was the affect on 'World History'? the socio-economic climate of France at the time needed change and that's what it got, 30 years later it was back under authoritarian rule.

'The October Revolution' lead to communist revolutions in different countries? no - it lead to the break-up of the Russian Empire, and the subsequent countries which formed were kept under the pretense of a USSR. Following Communist revolutions were keen to distance themselves from the USSR, the ComInter was useless, Cuba and Khrushchev were only allied in public, and China disagreed with Russia after 1964. ROFL 'The most dangerous war of all'? The one where no shots were fired? - potentially it had the capability to, but due to Mutually Assured Destruction neither side were going to fire and used secondary battlegrounds to fight, such as Afghanistan or many African countries.

You need to stop looking at the affects on one country and look on a broader scale - does the french revolution of 1789 really affect the world today? or does the industrial revolution that allowed for incredible advances in technology have the longest effect?

American - Do you know what King John did after signing the Magna Carta? He completely ignored it, and carried on exploiting the peasants of England. It was abused in almost all of England till the first signs of democracy. The American Government however did keep their word, and their people have always been a lot better off than England's.
French - So? There was massive social upheaval, the Revolution also Culturally grew. Plus it was a point in history that showed that peasants and the public in general should not be oppressed, and they are capable of overthrowing their corrupt rulers.
October Revolution - It was the most dangerous war of all, as in around 1960, the Cuban Missile Crisis could have easily led to nuclear Armageddon, and each side was capable of eradicating the other. And a shot was fired. Many millions actually. The Proxy Wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Korea and other countries caused thousands of deaths, and although officially the two sides weren't engaging in combat, in Korea for example the West were actually fighting the East. Russian soldiers were present, and they helped the North Koreans. The October Revolution too, did bring about many other revolutions. The Raeterrepublik in Munich, Mongolia, Cuba, China, Cambodia... Heck, even Libya and other African Countries were Communist Revolutions as they were supported by USSR and Comiterna.

And your final point, as I have mentioned, The French Revolution showed that the governments need to listen to their people, and stop exploiting them or an event like the French Revolution may happen again. I have not said that the Industrial Revolution wasn't important. Yes, it kick-started technological advances, but the revolutions I've mentioned led to social, political, even geo-political change across the Globe. The Cuban Revolution too, was a very important revolution.
Reply 23
Industrial revolution. Without it, we would probably still live in feudalism society.

BTW, french revolution did not "set up the rise of middle class". Unless, You are speaking about french student's protest's in 1968. (some call it "red may")
Original post by mevidek
American - Do you know what King John did after signing the Magna Carta? He completely ignored it, and carried on exploiting the peasants of England. It was abused in almost all of England till the first signs of democracy. The American Government however did keep their word, and their people have always been a lot better off than England's.
French - So? There was massive social upheaval, the Revolution also Culturally grew. Plus it was a point in history that showed that peasants and the public in general should not be oppressed, and they are capable of overthrowing their corrupt rulers.
October Revolution - It was the most dangerous war of all, as in around 1960, the Cuban Missile Crisis could have easily led to nuclear Armageddon, and each side was capable of eradicating the other. And a shot was fired. Many millions actually. The Proxy Wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Korea and other countries caused thousands of deaths, and although officially the two sides weren't engaging in combat, in Korea for example the West were actually fighting the East. Russian soldiers were present, and they helped the North Koreans. The October Revolution too, did bring about many other revolutions. The Raeterrepublik in Munich, Mongolia, Cuba, China, Cambodia... Heck, even Libya and other African Countries were Communist Revolutions as they were supported by USSR and Comiterna.

And your final point, as I have mentioned, The French Revolution showed that the governments need to listen to their people, and stop exploiting them or an event like the French Revolution may happen again. I have not said that the Industrial Revolution wasn't important. Yes, it kick-started technological advances, but the revolutions I've mentioned led to social, political, even geo-political change across the Globe. The Cuban Revolution too, was a very important revolution.

Rofl, King John attempted to get the Pope to annul the Magna Carta, but as soon as he was succeeded it was endorsed by every future King and Queen, so much so that some clauses, such as 39 remain in common law in England.
Again LoL wut? 'The American Government always kept their word' where to begin? The original constitution was designed for anglo-saxon white males who were of lower-upper class. The prescriptions laid out were to protect their interest, namely giving black slaves no rights what-so-ever, again I refer you to read up on the American Civil War. Look at Guantanamo bay - is the US really protecting it's citizens better than we are - no.
French Revolution, you make no new point, take your left wing agenda elsewhere - it had little impact upon world history.

The October Revolution - you use the misnomer 'War'. Analyse the name, Cold War - no bullets were fired upon each other only through proxy wars - if you were trying, trying, to claim this was the most important read up on the subject as Archer-84 was the closest we've come to Nuclear war. You're claiming that the munich revoution was successful and changed the world? You're also claiming that as a direct result of October 1917 the Cuban and Chinese revolutions happened? LoL wut? You're making a poor error of judgement, just because the USSR and ComInter supported revolutions in African countries doesn't make them Communist. They wanted a distraction to the West and to divert their resources, and bring them under their sphere of influence - as previously Africa was carved by the west.

You make another null point 'it forced the governments to listen to the people' Marx himself said when writing in the 1850's that the British people were the most oppressed in the world, less than 100 years after the French Revolution - hardly 'changing the way governments listened' if they're still exploiting their people. The Industrial Revolution brought about change in every aspect of life for every person on the planet - where as the French Revolution changed alot in france for 30 years, great.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Rofl, King John attempted to get the Pope to annul the Magna Carta, but as soon as he was succeeded it was endorsed by every future King and Queen, so much so that some clauses, such as 39 remain in common law in England.
Again LoL wut? 'The American Government always kept their word' where to begin? The original constitution was designed for anglo-saxon white males who were of lower-upper class. The prescriptions laid out were to protect their interest, namely giving black slaves no rights what-so-ever, again I refer you to read up on the American Civil War. Look at Guantanamo bay - is the US really protecting it's citizens better than we are - no.
French Revolution, you make no new point, take your left wing agenda elsewhere - it had little impact upon world history.

The October Revolution - you use the misnomer 'War'. Analyse the name, Cold War - no bullets were fired upon each other only through proxy wars - if you were trying, trying, to claim this was the most important read up on the subject as Archer-84 was the closest we've come to Nuclear war. You're claiming that the munich revoution was successful and changed the world? You're also claiming that as a direct result of October 1917 the Cuban and Chinese revolutions happened? LoL wut? You're making a poor error of judgement, just because the USSR and ConInter supported revolutions in African countries doesn't make then Communist. They wanted a distraction to the West and to divert their resources, and bring them under their sphere of influence - as previously Africa was carved by the west.

You make another null point 'it forced the governments to listen to the people' Marx himself said when writing in the 1850's that the British people were the most oppressed in the world, less than 100 years after the French Revolution - hardly 'changing the way governments listened' if they're still exploiting their people. The Industrial Revolution brought about change in every aspect of life for every person on the planet - where as the French Revolution changed alot in france for 30 years, great.

Your last point is exactly what I said. The Americans were a lot more free.

I'm going out, and really can't be bothered to reply to you right now.
Original post by mevidek
Your last point is exactly what I said. The Americans were a lot more free.

I'm going out, and really can't be bothered to reply to you right now.

lol #win :troll: Remove the left wing agenda.

My last point stands that the French Revolution didn't change governments attitudes to it's peoples, If 'American's' were so free why was there a war over the ownership of black slaves, when it was abolished 1807 in Britain and why can people be detained on American soil without charge for an indeterminate period of time, great protection, you've got a maximum of 28 days in the United Kingdom, which seems more free?

Stop creating a strawman argument and answer the points I've raised.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Mevidek, your argument would be better if you were to argue why the Industrial Revolution wasn't the most influential, compared with others, could you do that?
Original post by Aaron87
Mevidek, your argument would be better if you were to argue why the Industrial Revolution wasn't the most influential, compared with others, could you do that?

Exactly, this thread is making me look like some Industrial Revolution Warrior but I'm not lol - it's that people haven't given a good enough argument to make me take another stance
Reply 29
The German revolution, when Germany was truly unified in 1870 under Prussian dominance it changed the whole political structure of Europe. Pre 1870 France had never had a serious threat to its predominance in North west (mainland) Europe. But with the creation of the Unified German state a rival was born and from this rivalry stemmed the two wars which would shape the next 100 years.
Reply 30
You can't just rank historical events and compare them using the criteria. There was a thread a while back, asking people what the single most significant event of world history was. Wtf? History isn't some linear progression; you can't just blithely judge two events aganst each other. Greatest impact in what sense? For whom? Without the French revoltion the world would be totally different. Without the industrial revolution the world would be totally different. You can't compare them in any meaningful way, let alone 'rank' them in order of importance.
Original post by geetar
You can't just rank historical events and compare them using the criteria. There was a thread a while back, asking people what the single most significant event of world history was. Wtf? History isn't some linear progression; you can't just blithely judge two events aganst each other. Greatest impact in what sense? For whom? Without the French revoltion the world would be totally different. Without the industrial revolution the world would be totally different. You can't compare them in any meaningful way, let alone 'rank' them in order of importance.

Ok - well I'll put down some basic criteria that I use to judge and compare events.

- Geo/Political impact
- Geo/Social impact
- Geo/Economic impact

They're the standard 6 that I would use in any comparative essay of this nature. Even so - It still stands that the IR affected more of these > comparative conclusion the Industrial Revolution had more impact than the French Revolution.
Reply 32
Original post by domino0806
The French revolution. It set up the rise of the middle classes.

In no way did the French Revolution set up the rise of the middle classes. The rise of the middle class and the industrial revolution are symbiotic.
The true rise of the middle class if it can be focussed to a single point would be the 1832 Reform Act, as it changed the political make up of Great Britain by allowing the electoral franchise to be extended to those without blue blood and country estates.
Reply 33
lol #win :troll: Remove the left wing agenda.

My last point stands that the French Revolution didn't change governments attitudes to it's peoples, If 'American's' were so free why was there a war over the ownership of black slaves, when it was abolished 1807 in Britain and why can people be detained on American soil without charge for an indeterminate period of time, great protection, you've got a maximum of 28 days in the United Kingdom, which seems more free?

Stop creating a strawman argument and answer the points I've raised.

1. Whatever
2. Yes, it did. Gradually, the government became more people-oriented.
3. There wasn't a war over the ownership of black slaves. There was a Civil War between two sides that wanted power. One more democratic than the other. The French Soldiers who came back from the War for Independence in the US realised how great democracy is, and how people are treated much fairer.
4. That's a problem with their justice system. And America is one of the few countries that is able to pride itself on being "the land of the free", even if it's not strictly true.
Original post by mevidek
1. Whatever
2. Yes, it did. Gradually, the government became more people-oriented.
3. There wasn't a war over the ownership of black slaves. There was a Civil War between two sides that wanted power. One more democratic than the other. The French Soldiers who came back from the War for Independence in the US realised how great democracy is, and how people are treated much fairer.
4. That's a problem with their justice system. And America is one of the few countries that is able to pride itself on being "the land of the free", even if it's not strictly true.

1. Lol Wut?
2. No it didn't lol, gradually /=/ revolution.
3. the definition between the sides of the American Civil War is 'Slave States' where slave ownership was allowed and 'Free States' where it wasn't. I never claimed they fought over ownership of actual slaves as if they were a commodity. Rofl pointless interjection about the American War of Independence?
4. 'America is able to pride itself on being the land of the free'?? We clearly have different view on what pride means. What a pointless retort - 'even if it's not true'

Do some reading and come back with valid points - you've still dodged the points of my earlier post.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
1. Lol Wut?
2. No it didn't lol, gradually /=/ revolution.
3. the definition between the sides of the American Civil War is 'Slave States' where slave ownership was allowed and 'Free States' where it wasn't. I never claimed they fought over ownership of actual slaves as if they were a commodity. Rofl pointless interjection about the American War of Independence?
4. 'America is able to pride itself on being the land of the free'?? We clearly have different view on what pride means. What a pointless retort - 'even if it's not true'

Do some reading and come back with valid points - you've still dodged the points of my earlier post.

I'm not going to talk to you on the basis that you're being incredibly smug, and ignoring what I'm saying. This is all I have to say:

1. Can't you read? I said 'whatever'
2. No, but the revolution paved the way for a change that wouldn't have happened anyway. Besides, people were better off after the Revolution (and the great terror) than before.
3. No, it was a war where two sides who wanted power fought, not only for power, but because they had different ideologies. The Confederates were happy to continue using slaves, while the Unionists weren't.
4. Americans are a lot more free than English for example ever have been, and still are.

Whatever, you smug dick.
agricultural revolution
Original post by mevidek

I'm not going to talk to you on the basis that you're being incredibly smug, and ignoring what I'm saying. This is all I have to say:

1. Can't you read? I said 'whatever'
2. No, but the revolution paved the way for a change that wouldn't have happened anyway. Besides, people were better off after the Revolution (and the great terror) than before.
3. No, it was a war where two sides who wanted power fought, not only for power, but because they had different ideologies. The Confederates were happy to continue using slaves, while the Unionists weren't.
4. Americans are a lot more free than English for example ever have been, and still are.

Whatever, you smug dick.

I've answered every point you've raised and you've not given single response, worst retort to a post I've seen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
mevidek, give us reasons why the Industrial Revolution had less of an impact than the others you said.
Original post by Ultimate1
French Revolution laid the groundwork in many ways for the industrial revolution.
Not really. The invention of machines, the adoption of the factory system and the use energy (usually in the form of heat/steam) were the main factors that led to this period of industrialisation being called the Industrial Revolution. The Industrial Revolution was a technological revolution and I'm not convinced about the French Revolution laying the groundwork for the period.
I've answered every point you've raised and you've not given single response, worst retort to a post I've seen.
Unfortunately you'll find that these kind of retorts are standard for him. :sadnod:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending