The Student Room Group

Is Messi now the undisputed greatest of all time?

Scroll to see replies

If not the goat then definitely the boat
With the won world cup trophy Messi finally decided the discussion about the best player for hisself, that is what Ronaldo xan't best in his career. I even dare to say that Messi is even better than his model Maradona.
(edited 1 year ago)
He’s not a goat. He is a human. Regardless he’s pretty decent I guess.
he always had a super team. So No. If he ever does it in a completely new league with an average team then he will be the goat.
Winning a world cup with 5 penalties does not make you the undisputed goat. Especially since he wasn't even the main reason Argentina won, it was Martinez he saved them from Netherlands and France
Mbappe is the best football player in the world right now. Forget about messi.
Reply 6
I love both of them seeing Messi yesterday made me so emotional !
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Mbappe is the best football player in the world right now. Forget about messi.

Mbappe is Messi's successor. What he already got as football player in his age is incredible. That is so astonishing. He is the one I give credits even to best Messi's career.
Also, the 30 or so penalties he has given away to his teammates throughout his club career. Incredible player.
undisputed greatest!!
system player in my books.

Ronaldo better
Bet Messi's having a great Christmas this year.
Yes, over Ronaldo.
He is however just behind the great Pele in my opinion. 2nd best of all time.
Agree to disagree.
Reply 13
Original post by Kallisto
With the won world cup trophy Messi finally decided the discussion about the best player for hisself, that is what Ronaldo xan't best in his career. I even dare to say that Messi is even better than his model Maradona.

Well I'm sure all the Ronaldo fanboys will disagree! Personally I do think winning the world cup to be called the greatest player ever is a bit unfair/overhyped. What if you're like Haaland and come from a country that doesn't have enough footballing talent/population to compete?
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
He’s not a goat. He is a human. Regardless he’s pretty decent I guess.

He is the goatiest of all the goats
Original post by WeWillAllSucceed
he always had a super team. So No. If he ever does it in a completely new league with an average team then he will be the goat.
Winning a world cup with 5 penalties does not make you the undisputed goat. Especially since he wasn't even the main reason Argentina won, it was Martinez he saved them from Netherlands and France

Nothing super about this current Argentina side.. plenty of very young/raw and a few very old players. Certainly made a name for themselves now but how many would be able to name 5-6 players from this squad before their success? I had to google quite a few of them!
Original post by Kallisto
Mbappe is Messi's successor. What he already got as football player in his age is incredible. That is so astonishing. He is the one I give credits even to best Messi's career.

I'm not entirely convinced.. Neymar was meant to be the same but what happened there? The drive that Messi and C.Ronaldo have (and maintained over the last 20 years) is out of this world. Mbappe's decision to stay at PSG last summer makes me question that. Even in the final, he was anonymous for 80 minutes, didn't even try and track back or get involved or influence the game.
Original post by jonjoshelveygoat

Ronaldo better

The best football teams in modern times have all become system teams. Because then you can get even more out of the individuals. However, Messi has made every system he has played in, even better than it already was or could've been. Such a special player.
Original post by jonjoshelveygoat

Ronaldo better

Ah yes, that is why ever since he left Barca he won 3 international trophies with Argentina
A POTT in a world cup (Ronaldo has not)
A ballondor with PSG (Ronaldo has not won a ballondor ever since leaving Madrid)
POTT in the copa america
2nd highest Goal contribution in Europe (narrowly behind Mbappe)

Just stop embarrassing yourself. Messi is clear of Ronaldo and always has been-- it is only the world cup which has emphasised the difference with Ronaldo scoring 1 goal in 6 games and messi scoring 7 and assisting 3 in 7 games
Ronaldo has scored one goal for Man utd this season and, although was fantastic last season, clearly needs a 'team' to feed him goals.
The debate is up for grabs between Maradona, Messi and Pele-- with:
1. Pele
2.Messi
3.Maradona
Original post by NLE.SHA7MA
Ah yes, that is why ever since he left Barca he won 3 international trophies with Argentina
A POTT in a world cup (Ronaldo has not)
A ballondor with PSG (Ronaldo has not won a ballondor ever since leaving Madrid)
POTT in the copa america
2nd highest Goal contribution in Europe (narrowly behind Mbappe)

Just stop embarrassing yourself. Messi is clear of Ronaldo and always has been-- it is only the world cup which has emphasised the difference with Ronaldo scoring 1 goal in 6 games and messi scoring 7 and assisting 3 in 7 games
Ronaldo has scored one goal for Man utd this season and, although was fantastic last season, clearly needs a 'team' to feed him goals.
The debate is up for grabs between Maradona, Messi and Pele-- with:
1. Pele
2.Messi
3.Maradona

Internationally Messi played for Arsenal and won a title, not the best in the world but certainly can compete and still with some of the best players in the world bottled it in 2014 lost in 2018 and won a rigged wc in 2022. He also lost 3 finals in a row where the federation put them on to get messi a win in which he retired because he couldn't take how much of a bottler he was

Internationally Ronaldo plays for Preston North end and won the euros and nations league. Until he was 36 he was playing with literal bums week in week out who wouldn't make it into a premiere league side while Messi had the best attack in world football at Argentina. The refs were against him in every tournament and he never got 6 penalties in a row in any international tournament or got given goals when subs were on the pitch.

Like it or not Messi's career is closer to Neymar than it is to Ronaldo. A system player who should be remembered for bottling with the best teams, getting the most favourable refereeing at any world cup since Germany vs Hungary and for not changing football in his country like Ronaldo has, with it now being considered a footballing nation - this is like if a player came through at Greece and in 20 years time they are producing great talents. Ronaldo has more of a legacy than Messi could in 20 more seasons.
Original post by Zerforax

The best football teams in modern times have all become system teams. Because then you can get even more out of the individuals. However, Messi has made every system he has played in, even better than it already was or could've been. Such a special player.

You put any player in that Guardiola Barcelona side and they win it all. Messi or not he had all time greats in every position. Ronaldo in that team would of scored more goals per game than Messi like he did from 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021
(edited 1 year ago)
In my opinion no, Pelé is.
Best of this generation sure. Of all time? Probably not.
CR7 is the greatest. Put Ronaldo in that Barcelona side from the beginning and he would be on 1000 goals rn. People forget ronaldo had 0 goals in 30 champions league appearances. To go from that to the all time champions league top scorer is ridiculous. Also has the most goals in history. Greatest clutch player of all time. Leader and motivator. No one tops CR7

Quick Reply

Latest