The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by runawayxtrain
so how was it? not as bad as you thought? :tongue:

I got 755 I nearly died of shock. the night before I downloaded the program and got like 20/44, 18/65 and **** like that so I thought I was dead. But gah I never want to do that again.
Reply 181
Congratulations for your good score! Sheffield and Newcastle in mind already? :biggrin:
Reply 182
Anyone know the amount of spots per university?
Reply 183
Original post by Metastasis
Hello! :smile: Would actually advise you against Birmingham because they look at GCSEs... which are our equivalent of O levels. I don't think anyone who applied from Singapore got in (as in the friends that I know, also because I'm from IP so I don't know whether they accept NUSSH equivalent results or how it works. But other than that, you seem to have thought out quite well on your choices :smile: So I'd say go for it! And all the best for NUS med :smile: I'm quite sure that they look at the interview as the largest component if you already have the grades and not applying through EIS, so please show your nerves of steel because I think I failed my interview quite badly LOL :smile:

Hey apple17, thanks so much :smile: I really hope we all get at least one offer because it sucks to take a gap year... I mean it was very spontaneous for me and now I am still living at home while most of my friends are in their hostels. LOL. All the best to you! :smile: I thought of the biomed route too but I know that grad school's going to be even more competitive... so I'd rather try for the undergrad route first.

You are welcome and yes, one offer for ever international will be awesome. I know but my parents are anti-gap year so really no choice. :frown:
Don't worry, when u will become a doctor: u can rub it in their faces. :biggrin: (assuming they aren't going to med school)
Reply 184
What unis could people recommend to me with:
A levels (Already Achieved)
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Maths - A
Biology - B (if it makes a difference, upto AS it was an A)

UKCAT

VR - 570
QR - 660
AR - 750
DA - 580

Average - 640

Im really stuck, please help if you know any unis to avoid/ go for.
Reply 185
Original post by Samy

This varies but it ranges from 8 (Oxford) to ~30 (Can't remember which uni)

Original post by Adam9
What unis could people recommend to me with:
A levels (Already Achieved)
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Maths - A
Biology - B (if it makes a difference, upto AS it was an A)

UKCAT

VR - 570
QR - 660
AR - 750
DA - 580

Average - 640

Im really stuck, please help if you know any unis to avoid/ go for.

Try entering your grades into the spreadsheet here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1713208
I'm so stuck with university choices! I just read through the whole thread to make sure I was repeating anything... But if I am repeating I apologize! :P

I can't decide if I should apply to KCL or Nottingham! Does anyone know what Nott is looking for? - UKCAT, GCSE, IB (I did IB). I feel that Nott is a better choice, because they give a questionnaire thing after you apply - so you can give them more information on top of personal statement - but I really want to be in London, because I love it, the course at KCL is great and my family is all there!
Reply 187
UCAS APP JUST SUBMITTED!!! (the end of a long process)
Now the waiting process
Reply 188
Original post by apple17
ucas app just submitted!!! (the end of a long process)
now the waiting process

good luck!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 189
Original post by Vulpes
good luck!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thank you. I am so scared!:colondollar:
how are u liking Sheffield: its one of my choices? (btw, are there loads of canadians in the med there)
Reply 190
Original post by apple17
Thank you. I am so scared!:colondollar:
how are u liking Sheffield: its one of my choices? (btw, are there loads of canadians in the med there)

There are quite a few. :biggrin: Loving it!!! I'll go into more detail if you drop me a vistor message / PM tmrw. (2am over here)

YOU MUST GET INTO SHEFFIELD :biggrin: Or get an interview at least, so I can stalk you when you get here. :ninja:
Original post by Samy

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

But those figures were updated quite a long time ago
With IB 43 and UKCAT 672.5, do you guys think I should try for sheffield? I'm getting a massive headache...
Reply 193
Original post by runawayxtrain
With IB 43 and UKCAT 672.5, do you guys think I should try for sheffield? I'm getting a massive headache...

You'll be pushing it a bit. The international UKCAT cutoff is lower but it was ~ 660 I think. The actual international cutoff can be found somewhere in the Sheffield Medical Entry 2012 Thread. :smile:
Reply 194
yeah i think so! but its still best to email/ call them directly

haha~i just sent an e-mail to the officer and hope he'll reply to me soon.:wink:
Reply 195
you need the BMAT :smile: also from what i heard, kcl is like cambridge in the sense that they prefer those with some prior knowledge of science/the body. like my friend who went for the cambridge interview said they tested her some clinical skills like the bones in the body o_0

i've heard that UKCAT takes a large proportion when the officers of kcl consider the applications. However, it seems that there is no absolute UKCAT threshold to apply kcl. So i'm now confused.:frown:
and i think kcl requires UKCAT instead of BMAT.:wink:
Reply 196
aberdeen :smile: ukcat's 8% of it. do not apply to durham, newcastle, sheffield because they shortlist via ukcat :smile:

thank you for your advice~~
(*^__^*) ……
Reply 197
Can we make a poll in this thread about how many people are applying to each school?

Just list all the schools and people can vote. This way we can have an idea of our competition.

Also, does anyone know how many internationals they take at Liverpool?
Reply 198
Original post by Kaylain
Maybe but you should check their university website I guess, I don't really know much about B'ham anyway just that they love GCSEs.

thank you anyway
(*^__^*) ...
Original post by .eXe

Also, does anyone know how many internationals they take at Liverpool?

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

its just a rough guide

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending